Go Back   Computer Forums > Welcome To Computer Forums .org > Social Lounge | Off Topic
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 02-21-2008, 06:09 PM   #1
Golden Master
 
mark thorpe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 7,366
Send a message via MSN to mark thorpe Send a message via Yahoo to mark thorpe
Default Laptop..

so my samsung M40 has finally died properly, graphics have gone, and all i can see is dodgy lines going across the screen.. so the time has come for a new lappy..

what do you guys think of this?

http://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/Samsu...UK/version.asp
__________________

mark thorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 06:11 PM   #2
Guru
 
JogaBonito1502's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: U.S.
Posts: 7,841
Default Re: Laptop..

Don't forget to keep your RAM!

EDIT: I like that laptop
__________________

JogaBonito1502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 11:30 PM   #3
Golden Master
 
01001010's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 7,888
Default Re: Laptop..

Didn't you purchase that notebook a few years ago? If you're looking for a reliable no-frills notebook, look at the Lenovo Thinkpads. Reliability and durability are usually associated with Thinkpads.

If you're looking for a media notebook, it never hurts to look at the Macbook Pro 17".
__________________
Stop the genocide now.
↳ www.savedarfur.org

Send comments, suggestions and criticisms.
↳ 01001010listens@gmail.com
01001010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 11:32 PM   #4
Golden Master
 
freestyler105's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 7,883
Default Re: Laptop..

That's nice...expensive, but nice. What are you using it for?
__________________
C2D E6600 | 4GB DDR2-800 | 9800GTX+ | Asus P5B-E | 150GB Raptor | 320GB 7200.10 | 750W Xigmatek PSU
freestyler105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 02:11 AM   #5
Fully Optimized
 
Jesusfrk611's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: US
Posts: 2,193
Default Re: Laptop..

If I was ever going to get a notebook again it will be no more than 15" screen. My HP has a 15" screen and it's pretty heavy to carry around much. The smaller it is the lighter it is. The point of a notebook is mobility, I don't do that much with my HP anymore, I'm thinking of just selling it as I use my desktop and iBook more. If you don't mind the weight, that seems like a pretty good notebook just looking at it. However, as with all big investments, you should do some research on the model to make sure it's pretty good and doesn't have any random problems that may come up.
Jesusfrk611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 03:36 AM   #6
Bogan
 
Neodude112320's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Australia
Posts: 8,471
Send a message via MSN to Neodude112320
Default Re: Laptop..

Yeah,The Lenovo Thinkpads are pretty good,but the black gets a bit Painful to look at after a while (Thinkpad owner talkin from experience).Toshibas are good but hella heavy.
__________________
Desktop:BitFenix Survivor~Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD3R~ i7 2600K @ 4hz~AMD 6870 1GB~12gb Team Elite DDR3 1333~3xWD In RAID5~W7 Ult
Laptop:Alienware M11x~ i7-2637M 1.7GHz~16GB 1333MHz DDR3~GeForce GT 540M~W7 Ult
Neodude112320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 01:13 PM   #7
Golden Master
 
mark thorpe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 7,366
Send a message via MSN to mark thorpe Send a message via Yahoo to mark thorpe
Default Re: Laptop..

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01001010 View Post
Didn't you purchase that notebook a few years ago? If you're looking for a reliable no-frills notebook, look at the Lenovo Thinkpads. Reliability and durability are usually associated with Thinkpads.

If you're looking for a media notebook, it never hurts to look at the Macbook Pro 17".
I got the M40 quite a few years ago, and it lasted very well, but it gave up the ghost, and i was very impressed with the samsungs, so ive decided to go with the M60, its basiclly the same, but with alot higher specs.. im not too keen on macs really, no good for games..

Quote:
Originally Posted by freestyler105 View Post
That's nice...expensive, but nice. What are you using it for?
ill be using it mainly for college work, but ill be playing games on it too..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesusfrk611 View Post
If I was ever going to get a notebook again it will be no more than 15" screen. My HP has a 15" screen and it's pretty heavy to carry around much. The smaller it is the lighter it is. The point of a notebook is mobility, I don't do that much with my HP anymore, I'm thinking of just selling it as I use my desktop and iBook more. If you don't mind the weight, that seems like a pretty good notebook just looking at it. However, as with all big investments, you should do some research on the model to make sure it's pretty good and doesn't have any random problems that may come up.
its only 3.1Kg's, which isnt too bad really, i hate HP, had a bad experience with one of them a few years ago, so i wouldnt get one.. i would rather have a decent laptop than a decent desktop, i just prefer the mobility.. ive read alot of things about it, and they all seem to be coming back positive.. ive ordered it, and it should be here by the end of the week..
mark thorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 04:50 PM   #8
Golden Master
 
01001010's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 7,888
Default Re: Laptop..

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark thorpe View Post
I got the M40 quite a few years ago, and it lasted very well, but it gave up the ghost, and i was very impressed with the samsungs, so ive decided to go with the M60, its basiclly the same, but with alot higher specs.. im not too keen on macs really, no good for games..
You can actually install Windows on Macs, so that excuse doesn't work anymore. Check out the new Macbook Pro.
__________________
Stop the genocide now.
↳ www.savedarfur.org

Send comments, suggestions and criticisms.
↳ 01001010listens@gmail.com
01001010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 06:20 PM   #9
Golden Master
 
mark thorpe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 7,366
Send a message via MSN to mark thorpe Send a message via Yahoo to mark thorpe
Default Re: Laptop..

ive got it now, so too late.. lol.. to be honest, ive never actually been too keen on macs, i quite like this laptop, pretty nice
mark thorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 06:28 PM   #10
Golden Master
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 13,091
Default Re: Laptop..

So is the M40 joining the HP?
__________________

lhuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:42 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0