Lagoa multiphysics

berry120

Fully Optimized
I personally think that the physics in games are hugely underrated. Everyone seems to be constantly lusting after the latest in realistic graphics - but physics engines often take a bit of a back seat.

I find this a shame - an enormous amount of work goes into creating these engines and physics really can make or break a game just as much as graphics can. The difference in physics is that people subconsciously expect these sorts of things to work the same as they do in real life, because that's "just what happens."

Well now folks we've got a new physics engine on the seen - Lagoa multiphysics. I'm not sure when physics like this will make it into mainstream games, the CPU power required must be pretty immense. But still, the demos they've got up there are pretty damn impressive. Best physics engine I've seen yet by far (including PhysX!)

http://www.geek.com/articles/games/lagoa-multiphysics-engine-is-simply-stunning-20100720/

As a side note I'll be writing a physics engine next year as my final year project. It'll be a tough one and we obviously won't get anywhere near the demos above, but I'm hoping we can pull off something pretty decent!

I've seen this on a 3D site before :)

It definitely hasn't been processed in real time, fast enough for a games engine. It's uses are more for pre-rendered films, etc

I've seen this on a 3D site before :)

It definitely hasn't been processed in real time, fast enough for a games engine. It's uses are more for pre-rendered films, etc

Yeah if you could get that real time time it would be awesome, games would be so much more realistic

It's uses are more for pre-rendered films, etc
At the moment, sure. :) As the site says though this has been written by a guy at Ubisoft - I'd be very surprised if they didn't push to have these sorts of effects in a game in a few years.

Back
Top Bottom