Kim Jong-Il Dead

that's a bit of a short sighted thing to say, given than the situation is almost inevitably going to get worse...

sure Mr Kim is dead, but none of his sons are, none of his generals or his general secretaries are...

The world is trembling in fear.

The world is trembling in fear.

Based on the readings from my sarcasm plugin, you don't believe that N. Korea is any threat at all.

I'm not going to give you a history lesson, but you probably know that N. Korea has reason to be a little cocky. They are an industrializing communist nation with nuclear technology and rockets to boot. ICBM capabilities are not known.

A leader who understood the MAD theory just passed away and a young, indoctrinated military brat has taken control. He has no real world, diplomatic or true military experience. Imagine an 18 year old Hitler with nukes. Will he take over the world? Not at all. But, he does have the ability to create quite the world crisis with the push of a button. Young and immature with that kind of power will only lead to political, or actual, nightmares.

He has no real world, diplomatic or true military experience. Imagine an 18 year old Hitler with nukes. Will he take over the world? Not at all. But, he does have the ability to create quite the world crisis with the push of a button. Young and immature with that kind of power will only lead to political, or actual, nightmares.

You really think the power base in North Korea will let him take full control of the country's governance?

I believe that in a democratic structure the separation of power would hinder such actions. Consider the Nuclear Football though. The president literally has the ability, at any waking moment, to launch a nuclear strike. Who's to say that N. Korea does not have the same nuclear 'wingman?' I never said either our president or Un have the authority, but the ability exists. No one can say for sure what will and won't be allowed during this honeymoon period and thereafter. Whether or not Un has absolute authority is only speculation. Nobody, however, can rule it out as an absolute impossibility.

Based on the readings from my sarcasm plugin, you don't believe that N. Korea is any threat at all.

I'm not going to give you a history lesson, but you probably know that N. Korea has reason to be a little cocky. They are an industrializing communist nation with nuclear technology and rockets to boot. ICBM capabilities are not known.

A leader who understood the MAD theory just passed away and a young, indoctrinated military brat has taken control. He has no real world, diplomatic or true military experience. Imagine an 18 year old Hitler with nukes. Will he take over the world? Not at all. But, he does have the ability to create quite the world crisis with the push of a button. Young and immature with that kind of power will only lead to political, or actual, nightmares.

I understand the technical logic behind your comments, but North Korea is like a kid playing with sparklers when pitted against the massive Nuke and response capability of the West, particularly America.

If they started banging their puny nuclear drum, they would be squashed like a soft grape in seconds. Just remember that whilst they have a size-able manpower and are willing to sacrifice it, North Korea is a piddling little nation that has an enormous inferiority complex and compensates by throwing their weight about.

The place only occupies 120,540 km² and most of that is mountains. It ranks 99th in the worlds listing of countries by land area. If you flew over it and blinked, you would miss it. - what on Earth is all the fuss about ? Take out the colossal area occupied by mountains, valleys and water - you have almost nothing left.

North Korea are communist, and their main ally is China.

If America feels they want to mess with NK, and China; they're likely to receive one hell of an ass-kicking.

Land mass has nothing to do with military power. The scale of the nuclear operations are unknown... because it's undisclosed.

Exiled Nazi scientists provided the majority of design information on the first atomic bomb, it wasn't the US scientists who discovered fusion.

We didn't think the Germans ever had anything that destructive.

North Korea are communist, and their main ally is China.

If America feels they want to mess with NK, and China; they're likely to receive one hell of an ass-kicking.

Land mass has nothing to do with military power. The scale of the nuclear operations are unknown... because it's undisclosed.

Exiled Nazi scientists provided the majority of design information on the first atomic bomb, it wasn't the US scientists who discovered fusion.

We didn't think the Germans ever had anything that destructive.

Land mass IS fundamental to industrial development, scientific progress and military power. The bigger the land mass, the bigger the population and the bigger the resulting muscle.

I would think that if America could deal with the enormous power and military threat posed by the Russians during the Cold War, they can handle China if pushed. Bear in mind we are talking of Nuke strength not human hordes, they do not count any more. China would not even get a bronze medal.

If they started banging their puny nuclear drum, they would be squashed like a soft grape in seconds.

That was implied by my comment above good sir.

Just remember that whilst they have a size-able manpower and are willing to sacrifice it, North Korea is a piddling little nation that has an enormous inferiority complex and compensates by throwing their weight about.

This is exactly why they're so dangerous...

The place only occupies 120,540 km² and most of that is mountains. It ranks 99th in the worlds listing of countries by land area. If you flew over it and blinked, you would miss it. - what on Earth is all the fuss about ? Take out the colossal area occupied by mountains, valleys and water - you have almost nothing left.

I was Marine Corps infantry, the 'special forces of America's frontline infantry.' I've gone through Mountain Warfare Training, Jungle Warfare Training, and Amphibious Warfare Training. My unit was included in training in preparation for a North Korean conflict in 2005. I know their tactics, I know their firepower, I know their Armored Vehicles, and I know that any invading country would absolutely get pwned if they invaded North Korea. People, most of them owning firearms, live in those mountains and valleys that you're including in your argument as a means of downplaying how dangerous or populated their country really is.

Land mass IS fundamental to industrial development, scientific progress

Land mass is only fundamental to the above due to natural resource. With the Global Economy, and given enough starting resources, one could hypothetically have a country the size of a small town and still be scientifically superior, with a more advanced (not larger) industrial complex. "Size matters not"

[Land mass IS fundamental to] military power. The bigger the land mass, the bigger the population and the bigger the resulting muscle.

This is almost completely false. Germany is 63rd on the list and they gave Russia (#1) and America (#3/4) a run for their money. They didn't have numbers on their side, they had tactics.

"In war, numbers alone confer no advantage." ~ Sun Tzu

Also, Canada is #2 on the list you're referencing and their military is small.

I would think that if America could deal with the enormous power and military threat posed by the Russians during the Cold War, they can handle China if pushed.

We didn't really 'handle' Russia. We relied heavily on the MAD Theory.

Bear in mind we are talking of Nuke strength not human hordes, they do not count any more.

That's a really weird thing to say when you consider that every conflict since the invention of the atomic bomb has been a ground conflict. No world power is going to employ a nuclear arsenal unless there is absolutely no other option. (Please see link above)

Our way of handling Russia was out spending them.

The problem with Nuclear Warfare is that, yes if North Korea waved their stick, we'd shoot them dead and wipe them out of the history book, but that one wack they would get in with their stick would be devistating. One Nuke can do a LOT of damage. One Nuke on Chicago, New York, LA, Vegas, Detroit and it would cripple a HUGE amount of our country. That's all it takes.

The problem with Nuclear Warfare is that, yes if North Korea waved their stick, we'd shoot them dead and wipe them out of the history book, but that one wack they would get in with their stick would be devistating. One Nuke can do a LOT of damage. One Nuke on Chicago, New York, LA, Vegas, Detroit and it would cripple a HUGE amount of our country. That's all it takes.

Exactly my point.

While it's highly unlikely that anything will happen, the ingredients here have a high potential for a very nasty outcome.

Back
Top Bottom