Just learnt about CPU's in my A-level Computing class...

Yeah thats true, that our brain is more complex, yet it is alot slower at calculations because of the effort needed.

Yet because processors only calulate 0's and 1's at the speed of light, etc using chips, etc, the fact that these are simple binary numbers makes it easy for processors to handle, and crunch like mad.

Think of our brains as being Analog, and computers of course being Digital, so in an analog system, there is alot more information going through, and not just 0's and 1's, making it harder for our brains to process and make use of.

David Lindon said:
Actually our brains are like 1000 times faster than a cpu. A cpu just does binary 1s and 0s when you think about it and thats it.

That's true it can only do binary, but calculating in binary is much more efficient than using standard numbers like we do, and it almost eliminates mistakes.

Also, processors can only add, so to do a multiplication such as 2*4 it must do 2+2+2+2, but it can do these calculations in miliseconds, even sums such as 8795.7838+4756.9569*86945.73/7957346.9786

Lac3y said:
That's true it can only do binary, but calculating in binary is much more efficient than using standard numbers like we do, and it almost eliminates mistakes.

Also, processors can only add, so to do a multiplication such as 2*4 it must do 2+2+2+2, but it can do these calculations in miliseconds, even sums such as 8795.7838+4756.9569*86945.73/7957346.9786
But at bit level, are brains do not use 1 - 10 figures like we do, thats just language. Our brains use a 'binary' 1-4 system (It has 5 difference chemicals to signal with instead of 0 or 1) which makes it even more effecient.

You have 1 billion cells and each cell runs at 1 hz making it a clock speed of 1 billion but a more efficient signalling system (5 chemicals) improves overall performance.

Wow, didn't know that, thanks man.

Let's see those damn robots take over now!

Lac3y said:
Wow, didn't know that, thanks man.

Let's see those damn robots take over now!

Technology is not a million miles away, its the coding thats the problem. Can you imagine how dynamic the code would need to be? I can't even think about it!

Hehe wow, i didnt know that either :D

*Strokes head*

My brain is so powerful! Mwhahahahahaha!!!

*EDIT*

Its strange then, that we can't harness alot more than we can already. There must be some part of the brain we can't access, as I'm sure we don't use all of it, at least, not consciencely

Alot of it i think is sub conscience, which I think is smarter than our conscience mind is, and actually knows answers to questions our conscience mind can't grasp at the time, or at all :p

Kage said:
Hehe wow, i didnt know that either :D

*Strokes head*

My brain is so powerful! Mwhahahahahaha!!!

*EDIT*

Its strange then, that we can't harness alot more than we can already. There must be some part of the brain we can't access, as I'm sure we don't use all of it, at least, not consciencely

Alot of it i think is sub conscience, which I think is smarter than our conscience mind is, and actually knows answers to questions our conscience mind can't grasp at the time, or at all :p

Yes, the most we ever use is 2%

I wasn't teached this right now, but I knew that the CPU could handle:

The Clock
The Control Unit
The Program Counter
The Memory Address Register
The Memory Data Register
The Current Instruction Register

the brain is far more powerful because it's a parallel processor. thats why people can multitask and think about different things at one, like talk and think and walk and breath ad feel if it's cold, and feel the ground under our feet, and keep balance etc.

whilst computers never truely multitask, they prform tasks at the same time by giving each aplpication a burst of cpu time in turn.

Back
Top Bottom