Go Back   Computer Forums > Welcome To Computer Forums .org > Social Lounge | Off Topic
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 12-09-2013, 06:21 AM   #1
Golden Master

Default Julian Assange

So Julian Assanage has marked 3 years of detention at Ecuador's embassy Central London, No charges ever pressed: Assange marks three years of UK detention ? RT News. Does anyone think he'll ever come out and face extradition to Sweden?

BK_123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 05:35 AM   #2
MMM
Daemon Poster

Default Re: Julian Assange

Who cares, he can rot there!

MMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 06:53 AM   #3
Fully Optimized

Agreed. Let him rot.
Old 12-10-2013, 07:22 AM   #4
Golden Master

I do that he was done is completely wrong, Some of the things that have come out. Why won't the government shutdown wiki leaks, I've watched a video on it a while back and apparently they will keep moving there files from server to server to prevent it from happening.
BK_123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 08:10 PM   #5
Omnicide now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BK_123 View Post
I do that he was done is completely wrong, Some of the things that have come out. Why won't the government shutdown wiki leaks, I've watched a video on it a while back and apparently they will keep moving there files from server to server to prevent it from happening.
Might I point you to: New York Times Co. v. United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Whether you agree with them or not, wikileaks is a press outlet. It's fairly disturbing how many people seem to be okay with the notion of the government just shutting it down. You see, freedom of the press is considered to be near absolute in America. The only significant restrictions apply to things like libel and endangerment, and are very rarely enforced. If you look at that case I posted above, it's already made clear that the freedom of the press includes the freedom to publish previously classified information. Doing otherwise would suddenly make it illegal to report about any sort of government coverup (example, the current NSA thing.) This would effectively give the government absolute power to deceive its citizens, since it'd be illegal to report the truth. Look at how China does things. That's because they don't have these limits in place. I'm trying to avoid the slippery slope argument as much as possible here, but that would be the perfect example of why these freedoms exist.

Please think these things through, people. I don't like type of indiscriminate leaking wikileaks does either, but it'd be a massive failure of both constitutional law and the American people's rights if the government were to just kill it somehow.

Regarding the charges in sweden, I really have no comment. Assange is a very political figure, so it'd be unlikely he'd ever get an impartial trial. On the other hand, I still think he should somehow be tried for that, since it'd be pretty disgusting if the allegations are true and he's just given a free pass because of unrelated activities. But overall, I don't know enough about the situation to make a clear statement one way or the other.
foothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 09:28 PM   #6
MMM
Daemon Poster

Quite agree with foothead statement ^^^^^^^

People like Assange should be held accountable for their actions.
MMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 09:25 AM   #7
Wizard of Wires

When leaking of classified information could lead to loss of life like deep cover agents in other countries, the government has the obligation to protect those assets.
Classified means not for public consumption. Be it right or wrong, all governments have their secrets. And a traitor in the ranks handing out classified documents can not only get "players" killed but could start a war. Or at the least make relations between countries difficult.
And wikileaks is not a press outlet. They are traitors and should be shot.

If they want to make the documents public, why have they not done so? My guess would be the governments in those documents could have them assassinated in a heartbeat and no one would give a rats ass or do anything about it.
He's scared and doesn't have a clue what to do next.

setishock is offline   Reply With Quote