Judge gives green light for same-sex marriage in California

Golden Master
Los Angeles, California (CNN) -- A federal judge ruled on Thursday to allow same-sex couples to marry in California, starting on August 18, handing another victory to supporters of gay rights in a case that both sides have said is likely to end up in the U.S. Supreme Court.

http://edition.cnn.com/2010/US/08/1....ruling/index.html#fbid=-Od7jOhqfiq&wom=false

Even though I still don't agree the term "marriage" should be used to describe situations like this, I support same sex marriages. It's a right afforded by the constitution and to think we're still debating the issue 40 years after the Civil Rights Movement is - well - absurd to say the least.

Where in the Constitution does it specifically say that gay people have the right to get married?

Where in the Constitution does it specifically say that gay people don't have the right to get married?

I should probably make my answer more complete by answering yours: The 10th Amendment implies that right. You may say, "oh, but it doesn't specifically say they can marry!". Well tough luck. The Constitution doesn't specifically list a right to privacy, yet we all imply. No double-standards. Gay marriage is a legitimate implied right.

The Declaration of Independence gives Americans the right to "Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness."

If gay marriage is what makes you happy, then as an American citizen you have a right to it.

That's how I feel about it as a civil rights standpoint.

I won't even begin to say how far AGAINST it I am from a religious and moral standpoint. I don't want an argument.

Where in the Constitution does it specifically say that gay people have the right to get married?

in the 9th amendment. which the supreme court has decided gives American's the right to privacy.

The Declaration of Independence gives Americans the right to "Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness."

If gay marriage is what makes you happy, then as an American citizen you have a right to it.

I won't even begin to say how far AGAINST it I am from a religious and moral standpoint. I don't want an argument.

oh yea, does the Declaration really gives us Life, liberty? or is that just somewhere in the constitution?

I love this quote and I wish people would be more level headed like you. Sure, believe what you want but separate church and state.

Back
Top Bottom