Go Back   Computer Forums > Welcome To Computer Forums .org > Social Lounge | Off Topic
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 11-11-2006, 07:13 AM   #1
Golden Master
 
Brookfield's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 10,056
Default "Islander" aircraft.

I've just watched a Rememberance Day / Lord Mayor's Day Parade on TV, the cenotaph one is tomorrow of course, there was a flypast of five different helicopters & an Islander light aircraft which was designed, developed & manufactured on the Isle of Wight where I live, in the early seventies, & they are still being made, thousands have been sold around the world for light passenger service, also a freight verson, there was a Trilander, the same body, with a third engine mounted above the tail, I saw the first flight, they had only just finished painting it, & it flew with the paint still wet, it didn't prove viable so production was halted after a few months, have any of you aircraft enthusiasts heard of the Islander, or seen it?, quite a few were sold to the States & Canada.
__________________

Brookfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 12:45 PM   #2
Golden Master
 
mark thorpe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 7,366
Send a message via MSN to mark thorpe Send a message via Yahoo to mark thorpe
Default Re: "Islander" aircraft.

http://www.airliners.net/search/phot...words=islander

this one?






that trislander one is pretty cool though..
__________________

__________________
'I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.'

Winston Churchill, 11/30/1874 - 01/24/1965
mark thorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 01:04 PM   #3
Golden Master
 
Brookfield's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 10,056
Default Re: "Islander" aircraft.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark thorpe
http://www.airliners.net/search/phot...words=islander
that trislander one is pretty cool though..
Yep, that's it, well done, wonder if the members from Virginia remember that crash?
Brookfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 05:10 PM   #4
Daemon Poster
 
reece296's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 593
Send a message via MSN to reece296 Send a message via Yahoo to reece296
Default Re: "Islander" aircraft.

Yeh, Where i live (Guernsey) It's only a small airport and just about fit a 737 at the airport, the Channel Islands Air Search (CIAS) which looks for missing boats ect (as Guernsey is an island) is an Islander http://www.airliners.net/open.file?i...ext_id=0400595 i know it's an old photo but it's still the same one but has alot of servicing.
reece296 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 05:16 PM   #5
Golden Master
 
DJ-CHRIS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 5,203
Send a message via AIM to DJ-CHRIS Send a message via MSN to DJ-CHRIS Send a message via Yahoo to DJ-CHRIS
Default Re: "Islander" aircraft.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brookfield
I've just watched a Rememberance Day / Lord Mayor's Day Parade on TV, the cenotaph one is tomorrow of course, there was a flypast of five different helicopters & an Islander light aircraft which was designed, developed & manufactured on the Isle of Wight where I live, in the early seventies, & they are still being made, thousands have been sold around the world for light passenger service, also a freight verson, there was a Trilander, the same body, with a third engine mounted above the tail, I saw the first flight, they had only just finished painting it, & it flew with the paint still wet, it didn't prove viable so production was halted after a few months, have any of you aircraft enthusiasts heard of the Islander, or seen it?, quite a few were sold to the States & Canada.
I've seen a few up here.
DJ-CHRIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 05:32 PM   #6
Golden Master
 
Brookfield's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 10,056
Default Re: "Islander" aircraft.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Computer Genius
Yeh, Where i live (Guernsey) It's only a small airport and just about fit a 737 at the airport, the Channel Islands Air Search (CIAS) which looks for missing boats ect (as Guernsey is an island) is an Islander
Thanks, it had a lot of competition from other makers of this type of aircraft, & I'm proud it was "born" where I live, they fly over my place most days, & I don't have to look up, it has a distinctive engine sound among the several others that use Bembridge airport about 10 miles from me, then there are powered hang-gliders, these aren't popular with people that live near there, the noise as they take off is like a two-stroke motor bike, plus they all leak oil, so sitting on your grass isn't recommended, & washing hung out gets covered in oily smuts, one of the draw-backs of living on a holiday isle, as you will know.
Brookfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 07:02 PM   #7
Golden Master
 
mark thorpe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 7,366
Send a message via MSN to mark thorpe Send a message via Yahoo to mark thorpe
Default Re: "Islander" aircraft.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brookfield
Yep, that's it, well done, wonder if the members from Virginia remember that crash?
yeah.. thought it was one of those, one of the guys at work had done line maintaince on them a few years back.. i havnt seen anything from them yet, but i probably will eventually.. most of the stuff i see is from 737, 747, 757, 767, a320, planes like that.. mainly easyjet/ryanair, but we see alot of other companies too..


edit.. i use that website alot at work, on the swo's we get the aircraft reg, and i use that to look up the aircraft types..
__________________
'I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.'

Winston Churchill, 11/30/1874 - 01/24/1965
mark thorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 04:15 AM   #8
Golden Master
 
Brookfield's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 10,056
Default Re: "Islander" aircraft.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark thorpe
yeah.. thought it was one of those, one of the guys at work had done line maintaince on them a few years back.. i havnt seen anything from them yet, but i probably will eventually.. most of the stuff i see is from 737, 747, 757, 767, a320, planes like that.. mainly easyjet/ryanair, but we see alot of other companies too..

edit.. i use that website a lot at work, on the swo's we get the aircraft reg, and i use that to look up the aircraft types..
I forgot that your job entailed atrcraft maintenance, doing a job that was also your passion, marvellous!! I used to go regularly to Farnborough in the fifties & saw Neville Duke break the sound barrier in an almost vertical dive, this was before it was done in level flight, after he did that, he transversed the runway right in front of me at 'nought' feet as it was called then, he passed in complete silence, water vapour cascading over the wing-tips in his silver Hawker Hunter, followed a second later by the sound, then there were the Victor & Valiiant taking off, one after the other, the air literally splitting apart, talking was impossible over the wall of sound, I still thrill to those memories all these years later, reckon I was witnessing what was to come, don't you?
__________________

Brookfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:30 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0