iPhone now in Europe

The common built in camera that you see on most cell phones these days. I have one too on my LG VX8 something something. It's only a 1.5MP though. The iPhone uses a 2MP version.

For the Japanese market, the current iPhone is a bust (US will have to come out with a far superior version of the iPhone to compete with Japanese technology.

As it is currently configured, the iPhone is well behind local technology. Far from "redefining what you can do on a mobile phone," the current iPhone is designed to work on communications networks that are older and slower than what Japanese consumers are used to.

Moreover, Japanese phones are equipped with plenty of features not available on this iPhone.

For instance, Japanese handsets:

- Contain IC chips that let you charge retail products to your phone and board trains with automatic ticket purchasing.
- Are equipped to read QR codes (special Japanese bar codes that allow consumers to access information like coupons and website data).
- Incorporate safety features like fingerprint scanners to prevent others from using your phone.
- Let you watch broadcast TV.
- Have much higher-resolution built-in cameras.
- Allow conference calling with up to five people.

Consequently, how well the iPhone will do in Japan depends on what the folks at Apple are planning for future versions. According to a report in one of the Nikkei papers, Apple doesn't intend to release the iPhone in Japan until 2008.

Presumably, this will give them enough time to catch up with, and hopefully, even surpass many of the offerings that will be available.

IF somebody offered me one, sure, i would accept. But, the lack of 3rd party applications, puts me off. I will stick with my Nokia E65.

Back
Top Bottom