Introduction....

TitanMATRIX

In Runtime
Hey all,

My name is Nick, just new to the forums wanted to introduce myself. A little about me: I go to the University of Idaho and while I'm going to school I'm working on my commission as an officer in the Air Force Reserve Officer Training Corps. If I don't pick up a pilot slot then I'm looking at doing what the Air Force calls "cyber warfare." They have an entire wing called the 67th network warfare wing which is completely dedicated to network warfare, taking down enemy networks, planting worms and viruses, DoS attacks, etc... etc...

I'm teaching myself on networking and computers... researching online, reading books, and now this forum to help.

Thats just kind of a general thing but just wanted to say hi!

I'm teaching myself on networking and computers... researching online, reading books
Good stuff. If you're willing to put the time and the effort into learning such things to a good standard, you'll go a long way!

Welcome to Computer Forums!

Wow, Moscow, idaho! Makes me think of Paris, Texas.

Anyway, nice to make your acquaintance, Nick.

Thats pretty cool. If you do cyber warfare will you be working on UAVs too?

Thanks everyone! That is a negative I would not be working on them. Thats a whole different division in the Air Force although that would be really cool too if I get my pilot slot!

Yeah its tough teaching yourself this kind of stuff, I usually have to re-read something a few times and then cross reference it from another source for it to make sense and "click." Having someone there to help really makes a difference (you guys).

The stuff that I got down thus far...

1. IP/TCP and UDP
2. Routers, switches, and Hubs
3. DoS, Worms, Viruses, Hacks, etc...
4. Some binary (as a networker I probably won't be using "too" much of this)
5. Network Topology
6. Very little programming of C++ and Python
7. Batch files
8. DHCP
9. The term "protocol"
10. DNS
11. Dedicated/undedicated
12. The concept of a "server"
13. Ping
14. How Binary is set up; bytes to terabytes

The list goes on but I can't really remember it all for now but I've really started getting a grasp of this stuff and it starts to all make sense the more I read. Now whenever I'm on the computer I'm watching IP/TCP addresses and several other network informations. Whenever I look at a computer or some network I just start laying out the topology and information in my head and start thinking in 1's and 0's instead of just looking at the surface and wondering how it all works. The more I research and read the more I get interested in it. Its like a friggen drug lol, but an awesome one!

Back
Top Bottom