Go Back   Computer Forums > Welcome To Computer Forums .org > Social Lounge | Off Topic
Join Computer forums Today

Old 04-18-2009, 03:26 PM   #1
Daemon Poster
Default Interview question

When interviewing with an HR consultant, when it comes to the questions of "how much money are you looking for" and "how much are you making now", how does one answer those questions if I don't want to answer them since I don't want them to know how much I am making?

If I can get some responses I would appreciate it.

bruinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 03:43 PM   #2
Omnipotent One
Send a message via AIM to Atomic Rooster Send a message via Yahoo to Atomic Rooster
Default Re: Interview question

The best advice I can give you is to answer them honestly. It will look badly if you don't answer or lie and they find out.

Atomic Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 03:49 PM   #3
Daemon Poster

why would you not want them to know what you are currently making?? IMO it really doesn't matter what you are currently making because they already know how much they are going to pay you. I honestly don't think I have ever been asked in an interview how much I am currently making.

But to answer the first part make sure you have done a little research so you are prepared to answer them on the how much you are looking for. You should see what they usually pay for the position you are applying for and also what other comparable companies pay for that position as well. Also if you have experience in that field make sure to account for that as well because real on the job experience definitely entitles you to more money.

I really don't think your answer to that question effects them either way though because like I said they already know what they are willing to pay you. but if you know what comparable jobs pay and give them around that same amount you will be pretty close to what they are going to offer you. But if you shoot too high they will not even consider you unless you really are the best candidate. But be prepared for them to offer you less than what you say if they do feel you are the best qualified but they don't want to pay you that much
Raidmax Smilodon Extreme Black Case -|-AMD Phenom II x4 955 BE @ 3829.50 Mhz (18.5 x 207, vcore 1.424, NB 2600 mhz, HT link 2200 mhz) -|- Xigmatek Dark Knight S1283V -|- Gigabyte MA790XT-UD4P Mobo -|- G. Skill 6Gb (3 x 2Gb) DDR3 1333 RAM 7-7-7-18-2t -|- WD Caviar 7200 RPM 1 TB HDD -|- OCZ GameXtreme 700W -|- Radeon 4870 1Gb @ 780/1050 -|- Asus VW202NR 20" wide-screen -|- Windows 7 Professional 64 Bit -|- Saitek Cyborg Keyboard -|- Razer Lachesis Mouse
PokerDegenerate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 04:14 PM   #4
Fully Optimized

^^ Good advice.

I worry about that question too. Give them a figure too low, it suggests you don't have much confidence in your own skills or talents and that you're selling yourself short. Too high, and you come across as taking the piss.
Master of common sense. If you don't like it, stop reading.
UK31337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 07:16 PM   #5
Golden Master
Send a message via Yahoo to Tommy Boy

Just be honest, thats the best advice you can get.
When all else fails...Ham Radio!

I still have the same old HP DV9700T laptop I've had for years...still kickin'
Tommy Boy is offline   Reply With Quote

« iMob | 4chan Thread »