Interesting Question...

I got this from ChuNalt's signature. I was thinking that it was self-explanitory, but the more though I put into it, the more I actually wanted to know the truth. So, here's the question...

ChuNalt said:
Do files weigh anything? Like would an empty 120 gig hard drive weigh any more if it was filled?

So, does data actually produce a physical weight? Because the head of the disk must actually "write," something. So when it writes data to a hard drive, does it actually produce physical weight somewhere on the hard drive? Or is it just magnitized particles or something?

Also, how does somethign know how to make, store, edit, and write data? Better yet, what IS data, and how does it get processed?

Well I don't know how a hard disk writed data to itself. I'm assuming there's a tape like thing that it writes too, but that seems very old school. Look up how a hard drive works on google if you want to find out.

I'm sure it doesn't stay the EXACT same, but I doubt it's enough to notice. It's probably like turning on an electric scale and weighing the air (nothing), then putting 3 of your own head hairs on it..

MarxSoccer said:
I'm sure it doesn't stay the EXACT same, but I doubt it's enough to notice. It's probably like turning on an electric scale and weighing the air (nothing), then putting 3 of your own head hairs on it..

That didn't make any sense.

MarxSoccer said:

air does weight something :D
And more than u would imagine. one m2 of air is a little over 1kg, depending on the pressure and temperature.

And u can test the data thing, just get an electric scale, put a empty cd on it. Then burn a movie or something else on that same cd and then put it on the scale again.

I doubt there will be a difference, but there might be.

MarxSoccer said:
Empty harddrive = nothing on the scale
Full or used harddrive = few pieces or hair on the scale..

So you're telling me that hard drives use hair to put data on itself???

That's GROSSE!

Thats a complicated question!

spermy_with_rocket_booster_sm_wm.gif

Back
Top Bottom