Go Back   Computer Forums > Welcome To Computer Forums .org > Social Lounge | Off Topic
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 01-19-2009, 01:20 PM   #1
Fully Optimized

Question Intel Cuts Core 2 Quad Prices Up to 40 Percent.

Just thought i'd let you guys know, Intel's fastest Q9650 (3.0-GHz, 12 Mbytes L2 cache) is now priced at $316, down 40 percent from $530.

True Story:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2339191,00.asp

- 120GB Crucial C300 SSD & 3X WD640AAKS HDD
- Dell 24" 2408WFP & 2407WFP-HC Monitor
Zer0Cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 03:21 PM   #2
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Default Re: Intel Cuts Core 2 Quad Prices Up to 40 Percent.

you could get an Q6600 for $150 at Micro Center. I think they are just trying to get them sold, because it doesnt seem like they want to keep them in stock anymore. They want to sell higher end Quads.

Desktop -Cooler Master NV690/AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE/MSI 880G-E45 Motherboard/2 x 2GB DDR3 G.Skill Ripjaws X/Sapphire HD 5870 1GB GDDR5/CORSAIR CMPSU-550VX/Seagate 7200.12 500GB (OS), Samsung F3 1TB (Storage)/Sony DVD Burner/Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
Teny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 04:09 PM   #3
Fully Optimized

Send a message via AIM to esa193

i got my Q6600 back at micro center in july for 180 good deal for the time

MacArthur wrestling pwns!
esa193 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 05:25 PM   #4
Site Team

Thats an awesome price for that processor. Aren't they moving on to i7 cores now anyway?
Old 01-19-2009, 05:32 PM   #5
Fully Optimized

Send a message via AIM to esa193

ya they are they should all be out by summer
but im good cpu wise for at lest 2 years then maybe ill conger up a new build

MacArthur wrestling pwns!
esa193 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 06:35 PM   #6
Guru

Yeah...it's like I've been saying since the i7 came out, if you want a quad-core then go with the i7. There's no point in getting the old architecture.
JogaBonito1502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 08:11 PM   #7
Solid State Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JogaBonito1502 View Post
There's no point in getting the old architecture.
Actually, there is. I'm aware that these processors weren't released yesterday and aren't as new as the i7, but they are still very strong. The Q9650 is a damn strong processor and will be able to run everything. The Q9650 is able to play all the latest games with ease and can perform regular tasks without even trying; more intensive tasks without a problem. And if that's still not enough for you and you're into some more demanding tasks, just overclock. Get a good cooler and overclock.

The i7 gives me absolutely nothing the Q9650 could give me. What am I going to do with an i7? Alright, I'll get a few more FPS here and there and I'll save 1/5 of a second while loading Firefox or opening a movie, but that stuff is so insignificant it would be crazy to make it a deciding factor when spending so much money on a new processor, motherboard and memory.

So, in the end, the i7 gives me nothing I need, and it won't give me anything I will need for a few years. The Q9650 at stock speeds would last me just fine for 1 1/2+ years, but after that I could overclock and it would last me another year. So there are 3+ years of good use.

If I were to get the i7 instead of the Q9650, I would only be wasting a lot of money to increase the size of my e-penis. In the part of Europe where I live in, just getting the motherboard and DDR3 RAM will cost me more than 2x the processor itself. I'd have to blow almost 700 Euro just to get the i7, and that's with the weakest and cheapest i7 processor. 700 Euro is a giant amount of money for somebody like me, and I wouldn't be surprised if it's like that for many of you.

However, that's my point of view as a regular gamer/user. If you're an enthusiast, then it's a whole different story. As an enthusiast, you want the best, regardless of how little it is from the second or third best and if you won't be able to see the difference without some software.

I'm happy they're dropping the price though. The problem with that is, where I live, the prices won't go down at all. The Phenom II's are going to be significantly more expensive than in America.
Loddust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 08:33 PM   #8
Fully Optimized

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loddust View Post
Actually, there is. I'm aware that these processors weren't released yesterday and aren't as new as the i7, but they are still very strong. The Q9650 is a damn strong processor and will be able to run everything. The Q9650 is able to play all the latest games with ease and can perform regular tasks without even trying; more intensive tasks without a problem. And if that's still not enough for you and you're into some more demanding tasks, just overclock. Get a good cooler and overclock.

The i7 gives me absolutely nothing the Q9650 could give me. What am I going to do with an i7? Alright, I'll get a few more FPS here and there and I'll save 1/5 of a second while loading Firefox or opening a movie, but that stuff is so insignificant it would be crazy to make it a deciding factor when spending so much money on a new processor, motherboard and memory.

So, in the end, the i7 gives me nothing I need, and it won't give me anything I will need for a few years. The Q9650 at stock speeds would last me just fine for 1 1/2+ years, but after that I could overclock and it would last me another year. So there are 3+ years of good use.

If I were to get the i7 instead of the Q9650, I would only be wasting a lot of money to increase the size of my e-penis. In the part of Europe where I live in, just getting the motherboard and DDR3 RAM will cost me more than 2x the processor itself. I'd have to blow almost 700 Euro just to get the i7, and that's with the weakest and cheapest i7 processor. 700 Euro is a giant amount of money for somebody like me, and I wouldn't be surprised if it's like that for many of you.

However, that's my point of view as a regular gamer/user. If you're an enthusiast, then it's a whole different story. As an enthusiast, you want the best, regardless of how little it is from the second or third best and if you won't be able to see the difference without some software.

I'm happy they're dropping the price though. The problem with that is, where I live, the prices won't go down at all. The Phenom II's are going to be significantly more expensive than in America.
Very well put Loddust, I totally agree with you.

Q9650 is a beast! And u really will not see a big boost in performance with i7.
- 120GB Crucial C300 SSD & 3X WD640AAKS HDD
- Dell 24" 2408WFP & 2407WFP-HC Monitor
Zer0Cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 10:24 PM   #9
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loddust View Post

Have you taken a look at the re-designed architecture? You can use far faster memory with the i7 because there isn't a FSB bottleneck. Even though the 1:1 ratio stops at the 1333MHz standard it still gives you more room to use an unbalance ratio at a relatively stable level. The re-designed cache relationship allows for a quicker response from the respective cache. Additionally, if you're a gamer than you know you quad-cores aren't ideal for gaming. You should have gone with the E8600. As far as being a better quad-core there is not comparison between the C2Q and the Core i7. Also, the same way you can OC a C2Q you can OC a i7 for better performance. And watch out that i7 have great OC'ing potential...could be relatively higher than the C2Q...
JogaBonito1502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 11:37 PM   #10
Fully Optimized

I've read an article on this from CNet. It's good, because if you don't want an expensive i7 you can just buy a good and cheap C2 processor.

Or wait for the DDR3 AM3's

StratosP is offline   Reply With Quote