Intel

_-..zKiLLA..-_

Fully Optimized
So as a few of you know i work at Intel, yeahyeahyeah :rolleyes:
Well most of the computers i actually work with and i am on are actually P4's. Not kidding, My system happens to be a dual xeon with server mobo, but its not that amazing to work on to be honest, and not to mention how slow the internet is there. Im sure there is important people streaming stuff but seriously its intel? they should all be using AT LEAST c2d. But P4? seriously :rolleyes: :eek:

/rant

But other then all the really old hardware and exceptionally slow interwebz the job is pretty chill, what i actully do is i VNC into a virtual machine (somewhere in another state i believe) and then that vm connects to a htpc board that sits in front of me and i run video tests on a tv that also sits in front of me, everything from TSI tests (which is streaming video test, what i do is remote desktop to another computer that is hooked up to the test board via a fatass cable then run the test) to Impairment tests (where i remote desktop to another computer that is hooked up to this impairment box that basically fucks with the packets that come in and out of the streaming tests, and that basically tests the boards ability to maintain a picture under a bad stream signal) My boss' are pretty badass to be honest, i can text my girlfriend and pretty much surf the web while i wait for test content to download, its real chill. But yeah, there is my experience so far :)

Well most of the computers i actually work with and i am on are actually P4's. Not kidding, My system happens to be a dual xeon with server mobo, but its not that amazing to work on to be honest, and not to mention how slow the internet is there. Im sure there is important people streaming stuff but seriously its intel? they should all be using AT LEAST c2d. But P4? seriously :rolleyes: :eek:

Most office computers don't need that much power. That's plenty enough for what you do.

Most office computers don't need that much power. That's plenty enough for what you do.

Ehh not when its bogged down, the computer that i remote to do the Impairment tests literally takes like 15 minutes to log on. Its horrible.

It kills me when I do work for any of my friends. From a quad back to the Cretaceous Era. They all run on singles (Celerons and S478 P4's) with like 512MB of RAM.

I feel your pain.

Yeah man it sucks. Im not really sure whats the deal with my work comp because it says 3.6Ghz dual xeon and 2gigs of RAM so you think it would be pretty speedy. The Bios ( :p ) says its at 3.6 but CPU-z says like 2 somethin (cant really remember but it was way off)

Ehh not when its bogged down, the computer that i remote to do the Impairment tests literally takes like 15 minutes to log on. Its horrible.
You sure that's to do with the speed of the processor and not some network IO problem, bloated installs, fragmented filesystems or something else?

I've got a P4 machine at home running XP used for office work and gaming (though we're talking about games a few years old, not hugely intensive stuff!) and it's perfectly snappy. On the other hand I've used several core 2 duos and even quads that have been as sluggish as anything because they've been terribly set up...!

If your talking about a machine that's heavily loaded with multiple users on a regular basis then yes, I agree it's underpowered (though I wouldn't then class that as a normal workstation.) If it genuinally is a normal workstation though used for someone to remotely log into once in a while, a P4 should be fine - heck even the old 1Ghz PIII machine we've got manages XP / internet / office without any issues or lag, and it doesn't take more than a few seconds to log in!

I'd be more worried if you were running Athlons ;)

Wait, so your streaming video over VNC? Haha, that's probably why the connection is so slow :p

Wait, so your streaming video over VNC? Haha, that's probably why the connection is so slow :p

Yea no kidding. You'd think Intel would come up with a slightly better way :p

Congrats on the job bro, sounds pretty bitchin so far.

Back
Top Bottom