Go Back   Computer Forums > Welcome To Computer Forums .org > Social Lounge | Off Topic
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 01-02-2010, 04:57 PM   #11
Baseband Member

Default Re: Installing XP on a vista machine

I have done that.

TyLawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 06:50 PM   #12
Fully Optimized

maybe try windows 7 its pretty awesome

Old 01-02-2010, 08:15 PM   #13
Site Team

Let it be a lesson not to ever buy a pre-built brand name crap machine again.

KMATB
Lowndsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 11:48 PM   #14
Daemon Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyLawrence View Post
I have done that.
Well obviously something still needs to be fixed if it's still having issues. It isn't Vista's fault...XP can and will end up the same way. Worse, actually, since Vista is much better at fixing itself.

If you must get rid of Vista, go for windows 7. XP is old, and nowhere near as secure or advanced as Vista or 7. What you want to do is roughly the equivalent of going back to win98 when XP SP2 was released.
Old 01-03-2010, 08:07 AM   #15
Site Team

I'm surprised no-one's mentioned just reinstalling Vista - shouldn't take long and should resolve your problems.

Quote:
Well obviously something still needs to be fixed if it's still having issues. It isn't Vista's fault...XP can and will end up the same way. Worse, actually, since Vista is much better at fixing itself.

If you must get rid of Vista, go for windows 7. XP is old, and nowhere near as secure or advanced as Vista or 7. What you want to do is roughly the equivalent of going back to win98 when XP SP2 was released.
Whilst I agree that 7 is the better choice over XP these days for all modern machines anyway, XP is a lot better than you're giving it credit for there. I've had MANY more problems with Vista not "fixing itself" than XP, and while it's undoubtedly older than Vista and 7 it's still not a bad OS.

I'm not saying go with XP, for the problem here I'd suggest reformatting and seeing how things go after that as I've stated above. If that doesn't work then have a look at 7. It does seem though that now that 7 has come out everyone's moaning about what a crap OS XP is, which simply isn't true. It's a very good OS, it's still secure, will run most things you need and is perfectly usable - just a little dated now for modern use.
berry120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 02:29 PM   #16
Fully Optimized

In my book, 7 has officially replaced XP.
jmacavali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 03:27 PM   #17
Fully Optimized

For the Home User, pretty much. Not quite yet for businesses. Se7en is still in development for use with much larger programs that companies use. And those programs are still in development for use with Se7en.