Go Back   Computer Forums > Welcome To Computer Forums .org > Social Lounge | Off Topic
Join Computer forums Today

Old 07-29-2007, 02:17 PM   #1
Daemon Poster
Default Insomnia?

I think I've been stricken with insomnia recently. For the past few nights, I've found it extremely difficult/impossible to get to sleep. Last night, I got zero hours of sleep. I even worked out with weights (hard so that my muscles were sore) but I just couldn't get to sleep. My mind and eyes just stay alert and active no matter what I do.

I want to fall asleep because I know if I don't, I'll be really groggy the next day and just feel bad the entire next day (like I am now )

My problem is is that I try too hard to fall asleep, I think. I lay in bed for an hour, tossing and turning then I look at the clock again. I start to panic because that's one hour extra that I could have used for sleep now gone and I calculate the remaining hours of sleep and wonder if that'll be enough for me. Usually, I just start to worry, realizing I'm not getting any sleep and just repeat "Go to sleep, go to sleep, etc." but that doesn't work.

Then I get so frustrated that I'm not going to sleep, although I really want to, and my mind gets so active because of my frustration that I just give up and lie in bed until it's an appropriate hour to get up and try to start my day.

Does anyone else have this problem and if you do, how do you manage it?

●█〓██▄▄▄▄▄▄ ●●●●●●>>>>>>>
PCNoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 02:46 PM   #2
Golden Master
Default Re: Insomnia?

This happens to me sometimes but never to the exremity where i get no sleep
i usualy try a lil relaxation technique where you lie there and tense a certain part of your body , i usualy start with toes and hold it tensed for about 5 seconds then release it.This can also be aided by listening to relaxing music .Then i repeat it till i drift off to sleep
Another thing i do is lie in bed reading . i often fall asleep reading as your eyes get tired or listening to music on my ipod but this is a bit dangerous cos you could strangle yourself on the cables if you are not carefull
also have you drunk any high caffiene drinks in the day . This makes the whole thing worse for me

Desktop-AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+-2GB Elixer DDR2 800 250gb+500gb+500gb+120gb
Laptop-Apple Macbook Pro 13" Intel core i5(2.3ghz) 4gb Ram 320gb hard drive
muz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 02:53 PM   #3
Golden Master
Send a message via AIM to dude_se Send a message via MSN to dude_se

im the same most nights, unless ive had a real hard day.
i just keep tossing and turning and i eventually get to sleep and it provides me with a good enough rest. only on the odd occasion i panic when it gets to about 4am then i dont get any sleep.
try lots of exercise before you go to bed
Laptop spec: ASUS X53E, i5 2430m 2.4ghz, 3gb ram, 320gb hdd, intel hd graphics, usb 3.0
dude_se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 02:56 PM   #4
Omnipotent One
Send a message via AIM to Atomic Rooster Send a message via Yahoo to Atomic Rooster

Stay away from any drinks or juice high in sugars and caffeine late in the evening. No sweets either. Reading a book before bed works too. You could always try Tylenol PM. It was recommended to my wife by her doctor. It will help you get to sleep.
Atomic Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 03:16 PM   #5
Fully Optimized

Just don't think about it, I usually find it easy to sleep if I pop in Die Another Day or LotR into the DVD player, those things just can't be watched more than once . You can't fall asleep if you're thinking about how to fall asleep, it just doesn't work, I used to have issues with falling asleep, they've since disappeared though, sorry to hear that you're having problems with it.
| AMD 3800+ X2 Dual Core Processor | ASUS A8N-e nF4 Ultra | Hitachi Deskstar 250gb 3.0 gb/s | 1gb Corsair Value RAM 2x512 | eVGA geforce 6800GS | sound blaster live! 24-bit | NZXT Trinity Classic chassis | OCZ GameXStream OCZ700GXSSLI PSU |
I was there. In the networking forum for the first time, and it was because.. of 341
kchi55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 03:20 PM   #6

I even worked out with weights (hard so that my muscles were sore) but I just couldn't get to sleep.
Thats why I never workout right before I go to bed. Working out causes your heart rate to accelerate and keep the blood flowing, going even after you workout, then trying to sleep on that yea good luck.

Get some sleeping pills they'll knock you out.
0x0161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 03:42 PM   #7
Fully Optimized

drink warm milk.
milk when warm releases chemical that makes it easier to fall asleep.
spywarebanisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 04:02 PM   #8
Site Team

I used to get it but recently I've found that if I drink one of those strawberry herbal teas it reallys helps and I have a great nights sleep.
[url=http://www.LNXPS.NET]LNXPS.NET - The XPS Library]
David Lindon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 04:05 PM   #9
Golden Master
Send a message via AIM to Rubber314Chicken

I always set my alarm for the same time no matter what. I find it helps me get up on time so I'm tired enough to get sleep that night.
AMD Athlon 64X2 4200+, 2 GB ram, 2 TB HDD, Ubuntu+SAMBA ♫ Lenovo T410, i5@ 2.4 GHz, 4 GB ram, 7
Rubber314Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 10:26 AM   #10
The Candy Man

I know that reading is one of the the ways to get sleepy fast when you can't sleep. it's hard to fall asleep when you're over tired too. when the muscles are not relaxed it can be hard to fall asleep.

going to bed at a certain time each night will also help you're body get into a rythme that will help in falling asleep within a time frame. Also drinking warm tea does also help.

" Let the music move you "
~mr mixx~ is offline   Reply With Quote