Go Back   Computer Forums > Welcome To Computer Forums .org > Social Lounge | Off Topic
Join Computer forums Today

Old 08-15-2009, 11:06 PM   #1
Daemon Poster
Default implosion

I have a crt picture tube and i was wondering if there's a way to safely disarm it, so it doesn't implode if u break any thing

AMD 64 x2 5600+|Asus m3a|4GB RAM|Nvidia Geforce 9500 gt|320 GB Seagate Hard Drive
ringtemek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 12:17 AM   #2
Daemon Poster
Default Re: implosion

safely disarm it? what's in there? a bomb?

OCZ 550 Watt Modular|Intel E7300 Core 2 Duo @ 2.66ghz|Gigabyte EP45UD3R|4 GB Corsair 800 DDR2|Geforce 8800 GTX|Seagate 250GB 7200RPM SATA|Samsung 160GB 7200RPM SATA|120 GB External WD Passport HD|Microsoft 3 Button Optical Mouse|Lite-On 2 Tone Standard Keyboard|ViewSonic 22in Wide Screen|Logitec x-540|Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
allendale2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 12:27 AM   #3
Fully Optimized
Send a message via AIM to FlightSimBoy

Yeah, implosion. CRT's are actually quite dangerous. From Wikipedia:

A high vacuum exists within all CRT monitors. If the outer glass envelope is damaged, a dangerous implosion may occur. Due to the power of the implosion, glass pieces may bounce and explode outwards. This shrapnel can travel at dangerous and potentially fatal velocities. While modern CRTs used in televisions and computer displays have epoxy-bonded face-plates or other measures to prevent shattering of the envelope, CRTs removed from equipment must be handled carefully to avoid personal injury.

Early TV receivers had safety glass in front of their CRTs for protection. Modern CRTs have exposed faceplates; they have tension bands around the widest part of the glass envelope, at the edge of the faceplate, to keep the faceplate's glass under considerable compression, greatly enhancing resistance to impact. The tension in the band is on the order of a ton or more.

I'm not sure what to do with it though. If you have an old TV repair shop or any place that lets you dispose of electronics, take it to them. Otherwise.. All I can say is be careful.
My Computer: eMachines T5226 - Intel Pentium D Dual Core @ 3 GHz - Diamond Viper Radeon HD3870 OC Edition with 1 GB GDDR3 VRAM - 4 GB PQi Turbo DDR2-533 RAM - Corsair 650W PSU with 52A on single rail - TSSTcorp DVD-DL+-RW combo drive - Lite-on 52x CD-RW burner - Creative SoundBlaster X-Fi XtremeGamer - Logitech z5300e speakers - WinFast TV Tuner - Vista Ultimate 64-Bit. eBay name: Flightsimboy304
FlightSimBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 06:04 AM   #4
Wizard of Wires

1> A CRT can hold a lethal charge for several years. DO NOT touch the button on the side of the tube or you'll wished you hadn't.
2> The vacuum inside a CRT tube is minus 1 atmoshere. If the front is broken all the way through the neck (that's the guns in the back) will get sucked through the middle of the tube at supersonic speed or better.
You do not want to be any where near a CRT tube when it implodes. The speed and power of the neck flying out can penetrate your chest deeply enough to kill you. Amongst the other glass flying about.
Take it to a TV repair shop and see if they would get rid of it. A firing range might take it as a target. They love shooting up old tubes.
setishock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 11:07 AM   #5
Golden Master
Send a message via AIM to borat_sagdiyev Send a message via MSN to borat_sagdiyev

Originally Posted by setishock View Post
You do not want to be any where near a CRT tube when it implodes. .
Been there, done that. Threw an old tube into a dumpster (it was taken out of the plastic enclosure) and it made a satisfying hiss and boom.
Core 2 Duo e4500 2.2ghz @ 2.8ghz
evga 650i ultra
2gb 400mhz ram OC'ed to 450
evga geforce 7600GT overclocked
borat_sagdiyev is offline   Reply With Quote