Go Back   Computer Forums > Welcome To Computer Forums .org > Social Lounge | Off Topic
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 04-09-2009, 08:03 AM   #21
Golden Master

Send a message via MSN to superman22x Send a message via Yahoo to superman22x
Default Re: "If its worth doing, its worth over doing"

Oh, I thought Jeeps were leaf sprung front and back.

Not all trucks have the leafs below the axle... Mine doesn't.

The fabbing stuff you could work on in your shop or something, since you don't have to have the jeep immobilized while you do it. It would be a lot of work... but it would save you a ton of money.

Old 04-09-2009, 08:29 AM   #22
Fully Optimized

Send a message via AIM to eslfish Send a message via MSN to eslfish Send a message via Yahoo to eslfish

Go for the 37's. It makes the Jeep look BA.

Windows 7 64-bit Ultimate
eslfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 08:22 PM   #23
Golden Master

Practically, the 35s will probably be just about as good as the 37s. Same tread pattern and all. I think either way, your jeep will be fairly unique, and look bad ass.
What do you plan on using it for? Rock crawling? Mud?

I just checked out those Toyo tires too. They are pretty aggressive looking. But look fairly decent for road too. No touring tire, but it's not going to be like a 10k mile swamper, lol. Your jeep will look cool.
Most people just put on 32" Goodrich Muds, or leave it stock. It will stand out either way....
Old 04-09-2009, 09:06 PM   #24
pud
In Runtime

jeep....Dana 30 front axle & 37s = no way, not even with moly shafts unless you mall crawl. But then if you mall crawl you dont need to lift it and put some mud tires on.

Get the 4" lift and something 33-35 tire size. My suggestion is 33s, you dont need to regear, tho it would be 100X better.

it just breaks down like this, keep the initial cost low and get out there and play around and learn what style you like most. Who cares what others have, and FYI most people run a low lift (like 4" & 35s) because they run on trails, this means you want to keep your center of gravity low so theres less chance of flopping your jeep.
I vote 33s and a 4" lift and spend the money you saved on selectable lockers. This set up will go places an open diff jeep on 37s can only have wet dreams about.
pud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 10:18 PM   #25
Golden Master

Send a message via MSN to ArrizX

Quote:
Originally Posted by superman22x View Post
Practically, the 35s will probably be just about as good as the 37s. Same tread pattern and all. I think either way, your jeep will be fairly unique, and look bad ass.
What do you plan on using it for? Rock crawling? Mud?

I just checked out those Toyo tires too. They are pretty aggressive looking. But look fairly decent for road too. No touring tire, but it's not going to be like a 10k mile swamper, lol. Your jeep will look cool.
Most people just put on 32" Goodrich Muds, or leave it stock. It will stand out either way....
Yeha, I think you're right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pud View Post
jeep....Dana 30 front axle & 37s = no way, not even with moly shafts unless you mall crawl. But then if you mall crawl you dont need to lift it and put some mud tires on.

Get the 4" lift and something 33-35 tire size. My suggestion is 33s, you dont need to regear, tho it would be 100X better.

it just breaks down like this, keep the initial cost low and get out there and play around and learn what style you like most. Who cares what others have, and FYI most people run a low lift (like 4" & 35s) because they run on trails, this means you want to keep your center of gravity low so theres less chance of flopping your jeep.
I vote 33s and a 4" lift and spend the money you saved on selectable lockers. This set up will go places an open diff jeep on 37s can only have wet dreams about.
Thanks for the help
()_) ()_)--o-)_)
ArrizX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 11:21 PM   #26
pud
In Runtime

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArrizX View Post
Thanks for the help
Take it or leave it. Just remember I'll be there to laugh when you come on here to tell everyone how you took your jeep out and got it stuck because youre running open diffs...then proceeded to grenade an axle shaft because you were trying to get those two 37s spinning in an attempt to get out of the hole that the guy with no lift and locked diffs just cruised through. Now you have a big pile of useless heep you just wasted a bunch of money on.
You said you wanted to do it right the first time. I gave you a direction on how to do it right the first time.

FWIW I (and anyone else in their right mind) wouldnt run anything bigger than a 33 on a dana30...but then again I dont know what Im talking about

Read this, about 1/3 the way down the page it has an article which relates specifically to you "Can a Built Dana 30 Handle 37s? (A question in the January 2008 Fourwheeler Magazine 'Techline')"
http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/Dana30.htm
pud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 11:24 PM   #27
Golden Master

Send a message via AIM to Rubber314Chicken

He does have a point. I've had slippage issues with an open diff on merely wet pavement, don't wanna see what would happen in mud. If I were to buy anything to go off road, first thing I'd make sure it has is lockers. Electronically controlled if possible.
Old 04-10-2009, 12:36 AM   #28
Golden Master

Lockers would be good... But an air locker or electronic locker runs like $600. A rear locker that doesnt unlock would be around $250 I think, but it would eat up the tires a bit. Maybe some decent L/S for front and back?
I think the axle will handle it fine. Upgrade to a Dana 45 down the line or something, but a 30 should be fine for now...

People have put 350hp engines in front of 7.5" rear-ends, which aren't known to be too strong. And it held up, which some pretty grippy tires too... Not M/T tires, might have been drag radials though.

What gear ratios does the jeep have? And what engine?
Old 04-10-2009, 12:41 AM   #29
Golden Master

Send a message via MSN to ArrizX

Quote:
Originally Posted by pud View Post
Take it or leave it. Just remember I'll be there to laugh when you come on here to tell everyone how you took your jeep out and got it stuck because youre running open diffs...then proceeded to grenade an axle shaft because you were trying to get those two 37s spinning in an attempt to get out of the hole that the guy with no lift and locked diffs just cruised through. Now you have a big pile of useless heep you just wasted a bunch of money on.
You said you wanted to do it right the first time. I gave you a direction on how to do it right the first time.

FWIW I (and anyone else in their right mind) wouldnt run anything bigger than a 33 on a dana30...but then again I dont know what Im talking about

Read this, about 1/3 the way down the page it has an article which relates specifically to you "Can a Built Dana 30 Handle 37s? (A question in the January 2008 Fourwheeler Magazine 'Techline')"
http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/Dana30.htm

Never once did I say you dont know what you're talking about. I just don't want your advice.

You have no idea what I am into, what I like, what I would upgrade when, or if I even have a different vehicle for hardcore wheeling. Maybe I would keep my jeep to slight hills and fun trails and nothing hardcore. D30 would be fine with upgraded shafts. If I got unlucky and broke something, upgrading isnt a bad thing.

Yadda yadda yadda.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber314Chicken View Post
He does have a point. I've had slippage issues with an open diff on merely wet pavement, don't wanna see what would happen in mud. If I were to buy anything to go off road, first thing I'd make sure it has is lockers. Electronically controlled if possible.
I dont need lockers for what I am into. Jeep is a DD after all.

I have a scout for anything else. Which I am going to trade off soon here anyways for something cooler and more bad ass.
()_) ()_)--o-)_)
ArrizX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 01:03 AM   #30
Golden Master

You are going to trade off the scout you just finished!?!