Go Back   Computer Forums > Welcome To Computer Forums .org > Social Lounge | Off Topic
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 09-21-2009, 01:29 AM   #11
Fully Optimized
 
rohan23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 4,087
Default Re: IDK what to do with my life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trivium Nate View Post
i guess i just have to work really hard at saving money so i can afford all my bills and stuff,
i make like $8 an hour and get like 46 hours a week
Not enough to support you living on your own. Try to find some roommates. You need a push to do something and you'll get a hard kick in the balls when you have to fend for yourself. I'm going through the same thing, man. My Dad fell sick and I had to withdraw out of the college. I basically lost a semester and I messed up my last year at community college. I can't find a job and I'm stuck around the house. I might be moving to New Jersey and work in catering with my uncle and try to join Montclair State University.
__________________

__________________
Macook 13.3

2.13Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo-2GB DDR2 800 Mhz-500GB Western Digital Caviar Blue- Nvidia 9400M
rohan23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 01:42 AM   #12
BSOD
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 7,539
Send a message via AIM to Trivium Nate
Default Re: IDK what to do with my life

sorry to hear that
__________________

Trivium Nate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 06:17 AM   #13
Site Team
 
root's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 7,999
Default Re: IDK what to do with my life

tell your dad that you can't afford to pay $500 a month, perhaps say to him, look I can't afford that much. and offer him less, perhaps $300 or $400.

I wouldn't go lower than that.

I don't agree that your dad is being a little bitch for charging you rent.

you've left school and joined the working world, why shouldn't you pay your way? (I did, after I'd left education whilst I was staying at home my parents charged me rent, and why wouldn't they? why should I be living for free from their hard work whilst wasting my money on useless crap?
__________________
I didn’t fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a vegetarian…
Im sick of people saying 'dont waste paper'. If trees wanted to live, they'd all carry guns.
"The inherent vice of capitalism is the unequal sharing of blessings; The inherent vice of socialism is the equal sharing of miseries."
root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 08:05 AM   #14
Site Team
 
celegorm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 10,713
Send a message via AIM to celegorm
Default Re: IDK what to do with my life

I agree with root here. I'm in one of the best engineering schools in the US and live on my own in an appartment. My parents cover my school and part of my rent. The $295 extra each month plus cable and electric and food come out of my pocket. When all is said and done, it's about $500 a month. I work two jobs on top of school to make ends meet. You can do it too.
__________________
"as a fanboy i refuse to admit it and will pull countless things out of my butt to disprove it"

Team Thelegorm! Total Kills: 21 (i iz in uor profile, editsing your sigz)
celegorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 12:17 PM   #15
Fully Optimized
 
Prodigy146's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 1,751
Send a message via AIM to Prodigy146 Send a message via MSN to Prodigy146 Send a message via Yahoo to Prodigy146
Default Re: IDK what to do with my life

I work at tyson foods and im making 12.75 an hour, working 48 hours a week and i work a sunday every 3rd week (56 hours a week) and all i do at work is hang pepperoni in dry rooms.

Im 19 i have a 3 month old son and a girlfriend who doesnt work, i pay $700 a month total in rent, electric, cable, internet, car payment which with all of my overtime, is easy. The point is, you dont have a kid or a girlfriend so that saves you ALOT of money right there. Especially not having a girlfriend. All you need to do is go to your local workforce development center find out what companys are doing well in your area and then fill out there applications, email there HR Director your resume, Call the HR director and ask for the status on your application or ask if they reviewed your resume. Just get out there man.
__________________
[Proc: Phenom II X6 1090T @ 3.6ghz] [Motherboard: Asus 870 M4A87TD EVO]
[GPU: Asus 5770 Crossfire] [PSU: Corsair 650 12v53a] [Cooler: Scythe Mugen 2]
[RAM: Patriot 4GB DDR3 1600] [Case: Antec 300 Illusion] [HDD: 2x WD 640GB Raid 0]
Prodigy146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 12:24 PM   #16
j03
~~~~~~~~
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Wales
Posts: 5,556
Send a message via MSN to j03
Default Re: IDK what to do with my life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigy146 View Post
I work at tyson foods and im making 12.75 an hour, working 48 hours a week and i work a sunday every 3rd week (56 hours a week) and all i do at work is hang pepperoni in dry rooms.

Im 19 i have a 3 month old son and a girlfriend who doesnt work, i pay $700 a month total in rent, electric, cable, internet, car payment which with all of my overtime, is easy. The point is, you dont have a kid or a girlfriend so that saves you ALOT of money right there. Especially not having a girlfriend. All you need to do is go to your local workforce development center find out what companys are doing well in your area and then fill out there applications, email there HR Director your resume, Call the HR director and ask for the status on your application or ask if they reviewed your resume. Just get out there man.
But it's not that easy. I know people that apply for several job's a week, and get nowhere. Just because you where lucky, doesnt mean that everyone will be!

There are 2,470,000 un-employed people in the UK - and dont tell me that they are all lazy.
j03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 12:45 PM   #17
Fully Optimized
 
Prodigy146's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 1,751
Send a message via AIM to Prodigy146 Send a message via MSN to Prodigy146 Send a message via Yahoo to Prodigy146
Default Re: IDK what to do with my life

Quote:
Originally Posted by j03 View Post
But it's not that easy. I know people that apply for several job's a week, and get nowhere. Just because you where lucky, doesnt mean that everyone will be!
No man it really is that easy. All i did is go on Wisconsins Workforce Department site and looked up the companies in my area, which were Purina, Spacesaver, Tyson. Purina and Spacesavers employees averaged 30 hours a week, Tysons employess however averaged 44 Hours a week. So obviously Tyson is busy right? I went into my workforce development center filled out an application for them, harassed the HR Director for 2 weeks straight. Finally got a call back and got an interview and i was hired. Which was a year ago

Granted, the tyson factory i work for has never hired an 18 year old, Actually they never hired anyone under 23 years old. But really do people my age every put an effort in contacting an HR manager?? You've got to do that, you gotta show them you want the job. dont think just because you filled out an application means you tried getting a job.
__________________
[Proc: Phenom II X6 1090T @ 3.6ghz] [Motherboard: Asus 870 M4A87TD EVO]
[GPU: Asus 5770 Crossfire] [PSU: Corsair 650 12v53a] [Cooler: Scythe Mugen 2]
[RAM: Patriot 4GB DDR3 1600] [Case: Antec 300 Illusion] [HDD: 2x WD 640GB Raid 0]
Prodigy146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 01:08 PM   #18
Fully Optimized
 
tom-knox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 2,451
Send a message via MSN to tom-knox
Default Re: IDK what to do with my life

Times are tough but you have to remember that at the moment any work, is better than no work
__________________
New laptop:
2.1 Ghz Core 2 Duo processor :: nVidia GT150m :: 15.6" HD LCD :: 4gb RAM :: 320gb HDD

New player: iPhone 4 32gb
tom-knox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 01:25 PM   #19
j03
~~~~~~~~
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Wales
Posts: 5,556
Send a message via MSN to j03
Default Re: IDK what to do with my life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigy146 View Post
No man it really is that easy. All i did is go on Wisconsins Workforce Department site and looked up the companies in my area, which were Purina, Spacesaver, Tyson. Purina and Spacesavers employees averaged 30 hours a week, Tysons employess however averaged 44 Hours a week. So obviously Tyson is busy right? I went into my workforce development center filled out an application for them, harassed the HR Director for 2 weeks straight. Finally got a call back and got an interview and i was hired. Which was a year ago

Granted, the tyson factory i work for has never hired an 18 year old, Actually they never hired anyone under 23 years old. But really do people my age every put an effort in contacting an HR manager?? You've got to do that, you gotta show them you want the job. dont think just because you filled out an application means you tried getting a job.
OK then, I should have said "For MOST people".
j03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 05:48 PM   #20
Golden Master
 
sniperviper21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: USA
Posts: 5,438
Default Re: IDK what to do with my life

I may be republican

but i think that you if you need help

first you must help yourself.

Then the rest will fallow.
__________________

__________________
You got to have a Fiddle in the band!
sniperviper21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:35 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0