I'd like to know what you think of today's easy refund policies.

Hameister

Daemon Poster
Years ago, you researched a product, or tried it on before you bought it. You did that, because you knew that there were no refunds, except for defective merchandise, and even then, you had 7 days to return it. After that you bought it, period!

Today, women buy dresses to wear to a party, and then return it the next day. I've been told this is sometimes even done with an unaltered wedding gown.

I saw a woman just a few weeks ago in a local super market holding an aluminum pie plate with just a few crumbs in it telling the customer service rep. that each of her guests tasted it and didn't like it. No problem, her money was instantly refunded, with an apology. Even after it was obvious that the entire pie was eaten.

I know of a guy who wanted a $900 DSLR camera to take with him on a 5 day cruise, but couldn't afford it. No problem, he purchased one at a Best Buy store, and got a refund when he returned from his cruise. Oh, the store wanted a 15% restocking fee, which he refused to pay, and they let him get away with it.

I brought a weed whacker back to the store where I purchased it. It was about a year later. I brought it in to match it up with a replacement part I needed. Some idiot sales person said the part should not have worn out that soon, and offered me a brand new weed whacker. Even after I said that the wear and tear factor was normal after a year, she still offered me a new weed whacker for free.

I'm sure you've all seen similar abuses. These stores all add the lost money from all these returns to the price of everything we buy. We are all paying for this.

Am I the only one who feels this way, or do others feel that these liberal return policies are a good idea?

Honestly as far as prices go I think the answer is it depends.

A basic law of economics says the law of supply and demand governs when it comes to pricing. Also you have to factor in competition. I don't think easy refund policies are a major factor in pricing.

You remind me of the story of L.L.Bean. They made an exception to their strict return policy for a refund when a customer didn't return his item. You see he bought a boomerang!

There's also the story of Home Depot. They refunded a customer on a tire he bought. Funny thing is that the HD store didn't sell tires!

Last edited:
Is there documentation to specifically support what you're saying? Any articles or blogs?

You have to be kidding, why would this have to be researched???

You're welcome to research this if you wish. My research has been limited to common sense, in the sure and certain knowledge that stores are not going to take daily loses on returns, without passing the costs of those losses on to all the consumers.

I have also discussed this issue with numerous store managers. A local store manager of a Publix store, which is a very large super market chain in the south eastern portion of the U.S. The manager of a local Best Buy store, as well as a personal friend who manages a local Wal-Mart.

Each and every one, has told me that every item in their stores has a very small percentage added, to the price, to cover the cost of returns. There is also a percentage added to each item to cover the cost of shop lifting, but that's another subject completely.

The purpose of these policies is to build goodwill and sales as a result. Increasing prices as opposed to competitors who don't have those policies isn't good business sense.

The people who told you about a small percentage price increase, what do they mean by small? Normally business losses are reported on their income tax returns, not to be taken out of the hides of their good customers.

I think we need more info from any store managers reading this thread.

Hey, you can believe what ever you wish, I'll accept the word of the managers with whom I've spoken.

As for the actual percentage, I haven't a clue, never asked. So, I just picked up the phone and called my friend who manages the Wal-Mart store, and I asked him. He said that is a formula controlled by corporate, and he doesn't get involved in it at all. He said that it's probably on the order of a fraction of a percent.

That's all I know. Actually it wouldn't matter to me how the loses are recovered, whether through tax write offs, or customer participation, my point is, that it is morally reprehensible to fraudulently return something, and I feel the practice should be stopped.

But hey, that's just me. Lots of people love liberal return policies. Some stores like Bed, Bath, and Beyond, will take anything back, at anytime, with or without a receipt, just as long as they actually did sell that particular item. Thank goodness they at least check to see if they sell the item before refunding the money!

I personally like the liberal return policies but admit that some people do abuse them. Hopefully, the majority of people don't abuse the policies but use them in cases where a purchased item truly didn't meet it's intended need or was the wrong size or whatever valid reason for the return. I'm not one that would buy something, use it for a few days (like a vacation, then return it).

My wife can't seem to adjust to the relaxed return policies. When she goes to return something, she launches into a long story about why the item needs to be returned. The sales person barely listens since they don't care, they only need you to tell them that you want to return the item and whether it is defective or not.

@strollin,

Your wife and I share the same malfunction. It's very rare that I return anything. However, when I do, I tend to start explaining why I need to return the item, and the sales rep very quickly cuts me off, saying some thing like, "Oh it doesn't matter sir, would like cash, or store credit?".

Years ago, you researched a product, or tried it on before you bought it. You did that, because you knew that there were no refunds, except for defective merchandise, and even then, you had 7 days to return it. After that you bought it, period!

Today, women buy dresses to wear to a party, and then return it the next day. I've been told this is sometimes even done with an unaltered wedding gown.

I saw a woman just a few weeks ago in a local super market holding an aluminum pie plate with just a few crumbs in it telling the customer service rep. that each of her guests tasted it and didn't like it. No problem, her money was instantly refunded, with an apology. Even after it was obvious that the entire pie was eaten.

I know of a guy who wanted a $900 DSLR camera to take with him on a 5 day cruise, but couldn't afford it. No problem, he purchased one at a Best Buy store, and got a refund when he returned from his cruise. Oh, the store wanted a 15% restocking fee, which he refused to pay, and they let him get away with it.

I brought a weed whacker back to the store where I purchased it. It was about a year later. I brought it in to match it up with a replacement part I needed. Some idiot sales person said the part should not have worn out that soon, and offered me a brand new weed whacker. Even after I said that the wear and tear factor was normal after a year, she still offered me a new weed whacker for free.

I'm sure you've all seen similar abuses. These stores all add the lost money from all these returns to the price of everything we buy. We are all paying for this.

Am I the only one who feels this way, or do others feel that these liberal return policies are a good idea?
The companies and stores have already factored into the prices of people returning products under these policies, if it was to get out of hand I'm sure the policies will change accordingly.
Any how most of the products these days are cheap mass produced products.

To me it is a good idea.

Back
Top Bottom