Go Back   Computer Forums > Welcome To Computer Forums .org > Social Lounge | Off Topic
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 09-22-2009, 01:10 PM   #1
Golden Master
 
superman22x's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 7,903
Send a message via MSN to superman22x Send a message via Yahoo to superman22x
Default i7 vs PS3 "Cell"

How do you think the i7 compares power wise to the PS3 cell processor?

Just curious.
__________________

__________________
“Adults are just obsolete children and the hell with them.” - Dr. Suess
superman22x is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 01:38 PM   #2
Fully Optimized
 
esa193's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 4,210
Send a message via AIM to esa193
Default Re: i7 vs PS3 "Cell"

apparently the cell isnt a very good "cpu"
its built a lot more like a GPU and its very good at multitasking
from what i no its about equail to a 3 core cpu thats in the ibm chip in xbox in terms of power (ps3 only has advantage in its gpu 7800vs modified 1650 ati)
so im assuming its prob around the power of the core 2 duos
__________________

__________________
antec 900, q6600, 4G, 500G, 160G, 9800gtx, 780i, 47in 1080ptv, 5.1 surround sound

MacArthur wrestling pwns!
esa193 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 01:53 PM   #3
Golden Master
 
Kage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 13,873
Send a message via MSN to Kage
Default Re: i7 vs PS3 "Cell"

It would depend soley on what it is doing, but i believe it possible to beat an i7 doing tasks its built for:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/co...on-ps3-article
__________________
Abit IP35 Pro / Q6600 G0 / Zalman 9700 / 8800GTS 640mb / 4x 2GB Corsair XMS / X-FI Xtreme M / 1x 1TB / Antec 900 / Logitech Z-5500 / Samsung 20inch
Kage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 03:33 PM   #4
Golden Master
 
superman22x's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 7,903
Send a message via MSN to superman22x Send a message via Yahoo to superman22x
Default Re: i7 vs PS3 "Cell"

Quote:
Originally Posted by esa193 View Post
apparently the cell isnt a very good "cpu"
its built a lot more like a GPU and its very good at multitasking
from what i no its about equail to a 3 core cpu thats in the ibm chip in xbox in terms of power (ps3 only has advantage in its gpu 7800vs modified 1650 ati)
so im assuming its prob around the power of the core 2 duos
Oh, ok, I thought the PS3 was supposed to have a much more powerful processor then the 360. And I thought I read that IBM developed the PS3 processor?
__________________
“Adults are just obsolete children and the hell with them.” - Dr. Suess
superman22x is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 04:04 PM   #5
j03
~~~~~~~~
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Wales
Posts: 5,556
Send a message via MSN to j03
Default Re: i7 vs PS3 "Cell"

Well, I could be VERY wrong about this...


But I was under the assumption that the PS3 Processor could do LOTS of things, but not at an awesome speed

and a "normal" processor can do one thing at a time, but VERY quickly.

Well, that's how it is for Graphics Cards anyway. Parallel/Stream processing, innit!
j03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 04:40 PM   #6
Fully Optimized
 
esa193's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 4,210
Send a message via AIM to esa193
Default Re: i7 vs PS3 "Cell"

ive read multiple accounts on ps3/vs xbox power
and the thing is the way there designed is so different
but whats funny is a lot of the architect that went into the cell actually went into the 3 core xbox because ibm designed it
ps3 is kinda like a hybrid cpu gpu from what i understand and it has these cores that rnt really full cores
and altho were goo at calculations for certain things such as rendering they arent as good for other things such a physics and other complex things cpus are more designed to do
so really when you ask developers which is better there going to say there about equal both have there ups and downs but need to be programmed completely differently
now where the ps3 has a big edge is the gpu
nvidia 7800>ati 1650
but a spot where the xbox has the edge is the way memory is distributed
the ps3 has 256 main and 256 video
while the xbox has 512 main which can be used buy any compoinent
plus 10mb of gpu only mem
so even tho it doesn't seem like a big deal to a developer the ability to use different amounts of ram in different times is a big advantage to have
__________________
antec 900, q6600, 4G, 500G, 160G, 9800gtx, 780i, 47in 1080ptv, 5.1 surround sound

MacArthur wrestling pwns!
esa193 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 05:09 PM   #7
Golden Master
 
worshipme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 5,603
Default Re: i7 vs PS3 "Cell"

I don't think they are comparable in any way.
__________________
AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE @ 4.0GHz + TU120E lapped - MSI 770-CD45 AM3 - 2x2GB OCZ DDR3 1333MHz - Sapphire HD 4870 - Samsung Spinpoint 500GB 7200RPM 16MB cache HDD - Tagan TG600-BZ Piperock - (Currently open test bed) - Windows Vista Home Premium 64bit.
worshipme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 05:49 PM   #8
j03
~~~~~~~~
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Wales
Posts: 5,556
Send a message via MSN to j03
Default Re: i7 vs PS3 "Cell"

Quote:
Originally Posted by esa193 View Post
ive read multiple accounts on ps3/vs xbox power
and the thing is the way there designed is so different
but whats funny is a lot of the architect that went into the cell actually went into the 3 core xbox because ibm designed it
ps3 is kinda like a hybrid cpu gpu from what i understand and it has these cores that rnt really full cores
and altho were goo at calculations for certain things such as rendering they arent as good for other things such a physics and other complex things cpus are more designed to do
so really when you ask developers which is better there going to say there about equal both have there ups and downs but need to be programmed completely differently
now where the ps3 has a big edge is the gpu
nvidia 7800>ati 1650
but a spot where the xbox has the edge is the way memory is distributed
the ps3 has 256 main and 256 video
while the xbox has 512 main which can be used buy any compoinent
plus 10mb of gpu only mem
so even tho it doesn't seem like a big deal to a developer the ability to use different amounts of ram in different times is a big advantage to have
But if the Cell processor is both the GPU and the CPU, then why would it make any difference if it was Video Memory or "Main" memory?

AFAIK, The only way to accurately measure the speeds of two processors (unless they are the same model) is by getting the speed in FLOPS

Various sources say that Sony claim that the PS3's Cell Processor could reach 2TFlops, HOWEVER, it's limited to 1/10th of that due to the memory, and so is capable of 200GFlop's. Whether or not this is TRUE, I am not sure.

According to intel (http://www.intel.com/support/process.../cs-023143.htm)

i7-965: 51.20 GFLOPS
i7-940: 46.88 GFLOPS
i7-920: 42.56 GFLOPS

So, if what both Sony and Intel are saying, in terms of RAW Computing Power, the PS3 is more capable. However, for non-number crunching use, I'd wager that an i7 is much more powerful.


http://www.tgdaily.com/content/view/37621/128/ is pretty interesting. However, if the Cell Processor is in effect the CPU and the CPU, then only the CPU is listed for the XBOX 360 - So the OVERALL power of the Xbox 360 (And all of the other consoles, other than the PS3) will be greater than what is listed on that page.
j03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 08:44 PM   #9
Fully Optimized
 
esa193's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 4,210
Send a message via AIM to esa193
Default Re: i7 vs PS3 "Cell"

Quote:
Originally Posted by j03 View Post
But if the Cell processor is both the GPU and the CPU, then why would it make any difference if it was Video Memory or "Main" memory?

AFAIK, The only way to accurately measure the speeds of two processors (unless they are the same model) is by getting the speed in FLOPS

Various sources say that Sony claim that the PS3's Cell Processor could reach 2TFlops, HOWEVER, it's limited to 1/10th of that due to the memory, and so is capable of 200GFlop's. Whether or not this is TRUE, I am not sure.

According to intel (http://www.intel.com/support/process.../cs-023143.htm)

i7-965: 51.20 GFLOPS
i7-940: 46.88 GFLOPS
i7-920: 42.56 GFLOPS

So, if what both Sony and Intel are saying, in terms of RAW Computing Power, the PS3 is more capable. However, for non-number crunching use, I'd wager that an i7 is much more powerful.


http://www.tgdaily.com/content/view/37621/128/ is pretty interesting. However, if the Cell Processor is in effect the CPU and the CPU, then only the CPU is listed for the XBOX 360 - So the OVERALL power of the Xbox 360 (And all of the other consoles, other than the PS3) will be greater than what is listed on that page.
the ps3 split mem tho is soldered on the gpu tho
like only the 7800gtx gpu the ps3 uses as its main gpu
can use that 256 whole the cell and what ever else can only use 256
__________________
antec 900, q6600, 4G, 500G, 160G, 9800gtx, 780i, 47in 1080ptv, 5.1 surround sound

MacArthur wrestling pwns!
esa193 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 11:09 AM   #10
j03
~~~~~~~~
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Wales
Posts: 5,556
Send a message via MSN to j03
Default Re: i7 vs PS3 "Cell"

Right, I see what you mean. I'm sure there are advantages by doing that, though! Otherwise, they wouldn't do it :P
__________________

j03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:29 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0