i want now!

small_ocz_z_drive_cebit_2611.jpg

Here's a little something OCZ Technology cooked up just for CeBIT: a PCIe enclosure that'll contain 1TB worth of SSD storage with maximum read rates of up to 600MB/sec and maximum write speeds of up to 500MB/sec. Oh, and the sustained write speeds are right around 400MB/sec. Essentially, this device will contain four 256GB MLC-based OCZ SSDs along with 256MB of ECC DDR2 RAM; when slapped in one's desktop, they can choose to set it up as the boot disk or a slave. OCZ is also hoping to offer a 4TB edition by the end of the year, which is totally plausible given that 1TB SSDs are already a reality. The on-hand demo was just a mockup shell, but the finalized version shouldn't look much different than what's pictured in the gallery below. As for pricing and availability? It should hit the US of A in around six weeks for somewhere between $1,500 and $2,000. It's high-end, y'all.
RAID? Hmmm. It would be cool if you could get like an SLI bridge, but for these hard drives!

I'd sooner get a TB of traditional HDD. The advantages of SSD aren't that worthwhile in my opinion/situation. Still it looks like great bit of kit and i'd not pass it up. Think most important is the fact that this thing is here and soon companies'll be fighting to produce more and more affordable SSDs till they become consumer friendly. A little competition benefits everyone.

If the price was close enough, I'd get it. Looks like it might still be a few more years until that happens, though.

I'd sooner get a TB of traditional HDD. The advantages of SSD aren't that worthwhile in my opinion/situation. Still it looks like great bit of kit and i'd not pass it up. Think most important is the fact that this thing is here and soon companies'll be fighting to produce more and more affordable SSDs till they become consumer friendly. A little competition benefits everyone.

you mean the throw it and it will not scratch h the hard drive benefits?

I see what you mean. But tough books will really benefit. And I really want a tough book tablet PC.

DAAAAAAAAAAAAMNNNNNNNNNNNNN!!!!!!!!! Those could well serve a couple purposes. A few that I've thought up on the spot:

1. Storage
2. Bragging rights...how cool would it be to say, "My hard-drive is bigger than your GTX280."
3. Self-Defense...if you happen to have your computer open and someone is robbing your house...simply chuck it at them...should knock them out.

Back
Top Bottom