I Think I've Been Taken for a Ride ... Please Let Me Know Your thoughts!

waldorfpc

In Runtime
Right now, I'm so upset, so i'll do my best to put this together sensibly. I do really need your opinions and thoughts on this. I know it is long and drawn out: but, please read all the details so you can best advise me.

I was introduced to this guy by my two friends. He turned out to be very sweet. He told me that he had a severe disease, and that he was going to China for some special procedures. He said that the disease was life threatening, and that it attacked his memory making it difficult to rmember things at times. This all seemed believable, as i've had alot of experience with the sick since I've cared for many types of people. Not to mention, I'm good hearted and want to give people the benefit of the doubt.

I felt bad for him, and i wanted to help. I also felt bad for him going to a strange country and not being able to speak the language. I built a brand new computer for him as a gift to take so he'd have lines of communication with us here at home. I sacrificed money and time to give him what i wanted--a custom built, top-of-the-line machine, and I'm using a thirdhand machine. That I did not mind since I love doing nice things for people. I felt wonderful doing that. Here is where it goes wrong.

1. Since i suffer from a visual impairment, I am more in tuned to my hearing. You'd never know I was visually impaired since I do not draw much attention to that. anyway, I could pick up on sound cues that let me know he really did not go to China. Here is what i noticed.
a. I heard the phone click such as when changing channels on a cordless phone. I brought that to his attention lightly by letting him know that cell phones do not make that sound. He said that he had hit a record button on the cell phone he had--the one he was using overseas. Something told me not to doubt my instincts: but, I wanted to still give him the benefit of the doubt just to see how far this would go.
B. I heard the fan still running in the background--the same one i'd hear when he was calling from home.
C. He called from another cell phone that was his friends. i had recognized the voice from before. I brought that up to his attention saying, "that cell phone you called me from. It was the wife's of that Irish friend of yours. I recognize the voice." "They were over here," he said. I played along and said, "That explains why the phone was a piece of crap." He went on a trip with that friend. The phone was so bad that he could not even stand inside the log cabbin with it. He had to step outside to get a signal. Yet, he said that that was the cheap model of a sattlelight phone he was using in China. BS BS BS!!!!!!
D. This puts the icing on the cake. He forgot to block his number. the incoming call came up on my phone--Dave Phillips. That was the last incoming call.

I NOW KNOW HE IS LYING!!!!!!!!

Now, after reading the story here, i have this question;

Is there a way he could bill a call collect to his number from across the world so that number will come up on my caller ID? I ask this because I feel he will use this as an excuse or some kind of ploy to cover his tracks. and, I need to ask somthing else. Is there a way he could tie a phone number to an overseas phone so it will only be charged the same rate as his phoneline? He said he was going to do that however, I do not think that is even possible. I may be wrong: however, I did check into that with my cell phone, and the company told me that was not possible. I hav an overseas plan on my cell phone that will allow me to talk at a discounted rate: however, I do not believe I can talk at a flat rate by tying it to my phoneline. I expressed that to him, and he said that was something the land line company such as Verizon could do. It could not be done through the cell phone company. Tell me why I feel this is a load of BS.

Pardon my ignorance on this one. I'm not so experienced with phones. I know more about computers. Any light you could shed would be helpful. After all, he was wicked enough to take me on an emotional roller coaster when i suffer from tons of chronic illness, have had four friends die last November, have nursed a friend who is suffering from liver failure, and yes, am dealing with the stresses of keeping my company afloat. Not to mention, he got a squeaky new computer out of the deal. I hope he feels great. PSYKE!

I think you've been taken for a ride. -I don't think that phone thing is even possible. and i wonder why he's messing with you like this.

sadly there's nothing that you can do about it.

except give him a piece of your mind, if you know where he lived/lived why don't you pay him a visit? pop in for a coffee.

Honestly, I do not want to ever see him. and, i mean never. I kind of had a feeling about the phone thing, as I did my research regarding my cell phone for traveling overseas since i'm supposed to if things go the way they should. I just needed to ask people who were technically inclined, and this was the place to come to do that. There are people who know more than i do, and I'm willing to admit that, which is why I ran that question by you guys. I thank you for your help. i need all that I can to arm myself for when the time comes to confront him. Don't worry, I will do it. I just need to make sure i'm level headed enough and can keep my composure. I cannot do it right now, as i'd probably lose it.

He should win the Acadamy Award for acting and as the best con artist as he is good at playing off great schemes. I mean, he was so good that he not only took me for a ride: however, he did it to several, and I mean, several of my friends. i have yet to tell them. They'll probably crap a brick when they find out.

How did this guy even meet your friends?

Stuff like that, you shouldn't even go in for. He should have still paid for the machine, sick or not. He wouldn't have needed a top of the line machine anyway.
I'm a very good person, and do like to help people, but this life isn't all nice.

I'm sorry that he tricked you, and I know you must feel horrible, but you did do a good thing. It's him that has gone and thrown it back at you.

The trouble is, if someone did actually want your help now, theres less of a chance you'd beleive them.

I recall calling wolf.

No, I'd not judge another person based on what this guy did. I'd just be more watchful. i'll learn to pay attention and be more alert. I'm definitely going to learn from this. I'll be darned if he ruins it for the next person that comes along. I will not give him the power to harden my heart. I'm not like that. I'll not give him power over me period. all people will be judged individualy. One cannot be judged based on another.

NO this life is not all nice: however, situations like this is what teaches us to be smart for the next time. And, the reason I helped him and will continue to help others in the future but yet be smarter is because so many have helped me. My life was not always easy. i had a rough one, and if it wasn't for those who believed me and helped me, i'd not be where I am now. I know this for a fact.

I give back what was given to me. I refuse to be callous. I could only imagine what it would be like if people refused to help me and turned their back. I really had been through some stuff--too much to get into and not worth harping on. But, as I have stated before, I will definitely learn from this.

Hey, I didn't mean to get at you if I did.
I understand what you mean though.
I hope that he also learns what he should and shouldn't do to people

Oh, that is okay. I know you are trying to help. And, you did a wonderful job. I just got finished bawling my eyes out. He was told by myself and my friends that I had a rough childhood--not at the hands of my parents but from my very abusive uncle. He was told in detail. If he had a conscience, he'd have stopped. But, I appreciate all that you've contributed. After all, I did ask for your opinion.

I think its a real shame someone who merely tries to help should be betrayed in such a manner, and lied to, it sickens me. Sorry if i sound a bit loony it just annoys me is all.

Get one of your other friends, who he doesn't know, to call the cell/house phone and say can you come down to XXX/ and pick up XXX(as in a package of some sort). Just to see if he is lying or not.

Why the F*CK would you build some random person you've never met an amazing computer.

I'm sorry, good hearted or not, you don't give away your home to a homeless man with a sob story.

Back
Top Bottom