Go Back   Computer Forums > Welcome To Computer Forums .org > Social Lounge | Off Topic
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 09-30-2011, 05:23 AM   #1
Fully Optimized
 
~Darkseeker~'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Welwyn Garden City, United Kingdom
Posts: 2,494
Default I see nothing illegal here...

Another Teacher Accused Of Having Sex With Teenager Student | Atl Night Spots

I looked it up, the age of Consent in Washington state is 16, and the boy was 17... and was clearly consenting and even bragging about it... So how does that constitute sex with a minor if he was above the state age of consent? Surely that's just professional misconduct... which would be dealt with by the school not the police.
__________________

__________________
EVGA SLI Micro Z68 // Intel i5-2500k @ 4.4GHz // 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1866MHz // Overclocked ASUS GTX 660 Ti // Corsair Carbide SPEC-03 // Kingston Hyper-X 120GB // 2TB WD Green + 500GB WD Black
#JC4PM
~Darkseeker~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 06:50 AM   #2
Fully Optimized
 
strollin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: USA
Posts: 1,944
Default Re: I see nothing illegal here...

I don't know if Wash state has laws that make it illegal for a teacher to "fraternize" with a student or not but many states do.
__________________

strollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 06:55 AM   #3
Site Team
 
berry120's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: England, UK
Posts: 3,425
Default Re: I see nothing illegal here...

I don't know about the law over there, but AFAIK in the UK anything along those lines is illegal if you have a duty of care over someone, even if they are over 16. So that would include doctor-patient relationships, teacher-student, counsellor-client, anything like that.
__________________
Save the whales, feed the hungry, free the mallocs.
berry120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 07:19 AM   #4
Omnicide now.
 
foothead's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: My own personal hell
Posts: 10,014
Default Re: I see nothing illegal here...

What the hell is going on with the comments? They're all in ghettospeak.

Also, that is some seriously bad reporting. Without seeing what the police are charging her with, it's really not possible to know whether it was legal or not.
foothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 08:48 AM   #5
Fully Optimized
 
strollin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: USA
Posts: 1,944
Default Re: I see nothing illegal here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by foothead View Post
What the hell is going on with the comments? They're all in ghettospeak.

Also, that is some seriously bad reporting. Without seeing what the police are charging her with, it's really not possible to know whether it was legal or not.
The article states that she hasn't been charged with anything yet so how is that bad reporting?
strollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 09:36 AM   #6
Omnicide now.
 
foothead's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: My own personal hell
Posts: 10,014
Default Re: I see nothing illegal here...

They don't cite the law she broke. It's pretty much standard practice nowadays, but I'm really tired of having to do fact checking myself just to know if what they reported is true or not.
foothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 12:35 PM   #7
Site Team
 
root's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 8,007
Default Re: I see nothing illegal here...

you're not supposed to check facts, you;re meant to succumb to the media machine and just believe everything you're told...
__________________
I didn’t fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a vegetarian…
Im sick of people saying 'dont waste paper'. If trees wanted to live, they'd all carry guns.
"The inherent vice of capitalism is the unequal sharing of blessings; The inherent vice of socialism is the equal sharing of miseries."
root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 01:06 PM   #8
Fully Optimized
 
strollin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: USA
Posts: 1,944
Default Re: I see nothing illegal here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by foothead View Post
They don't cite the law she broke. It's pretty much standard practice nowadays, but I'm really tired of having to do fact checking myself just to know if what they reported is true or not.
From the article:

"Although Anderson was booked into the county jail for sexual misconduct with a minor, she was later released and has not yet been formally charged."

Seems to me the facts are in the article. I'm curious, what facts do you say are missing?
strollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 02:27 PM   #9
Omnicide now.
 
foothead's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: My own personal hell
Posts: 10,014
Default Re: I see nothing illegal here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by strollin View Post
From the article:

"Although Anderson was booked into the county jail for sexual misconduct with a minor, she was later released and has not yet been formally charged."

Seems to me the facts are in the article. I'm curious, what facts do you say are missing?
That isn't how you cite a law. This is:

Quote:
Dep't of Veterans Affairs, M21-1, The Adjudiciation Division § 2.03

Quote:
Originally Posted by root View Post
you're not supposed to check facts, you;re meant to succumb to the media machine and just believe everything you're told...
Heh, I know, right? I just spent like an hour calculating whether or not Herman Cain's "9-9-9 plan" would actually be viable (it wouldn't) because nobody in the media ever bothers to research anything. All they do is regurgitate whatever the source is, usually with slight changes so it isn't so blatantly plagiarized.


Anyway, I looked it up, and there is a specific clause for school employees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCW 9A.44.093
Sexual misconduct with a minor in the first degree.

(b) the person is a school employee who has, or knowingly causes another person under the age of eighteen to have, sexual intercourse with an enrolled student of the school who is at least sixteen years old and not more than twenty-one years old and not married to the employee, if the employee is at least sixty months older than the student;
If they had just said that in the article, this whole thread would have been unnecessary...
foothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 05:05 PM   #10
Fully Optimized
 
strollin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: USA
Posts: 1,944
Default Re: I see nothing illegal here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by foothead View Post

Quote:
Sexual misconduct with a minor in the first degree.
(b) the person is a school employee who has, or knowingly causes another person under the age of eighteen to have, sexual intercourse with an enrolled student of the school who is at least sixteen years old and not more than twenty-one years old and not married to the employee, if the employee is at least sixty months older than the student;
If they had just said that in the article, this whole thread would have been unnecessary...
I'm glad they left that unnecessary info out of the article. Who would read it except for you or a lawyer? Besides, she wasn't charged so it's irrelevant.
__________________

strollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
network parents' comp. to my comp. wondergimp Networking | DNS 7 06-18-2004 05:34 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:38 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0