Go Back   Computer Forums > Welcome To Computer Forums .org > Social Lounge | Off Topic
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 06-12-2011, 12:28 PM   #21
Golden Master
 
dude_se's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 8,632
Send a message via AIM to dude_se Send a message via MSN to dude_se
Default Re: I Love you Steve.

yea but most companies dont charge like double the price like apple do. i would be pretty annoyed if something as simple as a signal problem happened to me after paying all that cash. just very poor testing. software is a different thing all together. it will be hard for them to test every different scenario with the os/software as everyone has different computers to connect it to, etc.
__________________

__________________
Laptop spec: ASUS X53E, i5 2430m 2.4ghz, 3gb ram, 320gb hdd, intel hd graphics, usb 3.0
dude_se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 12:34 PM   #22
j03
~~~~~~~~
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Wales
Posts: 5,556
Send a message via MSN to j03
Default Re: I Love you Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude_se View Post
yea but most companies dont charge like double the price like apple do. i would be pretty annoyed if something as simple as a signal problem happened to me after paying all that cash. just very poor testing. software is a different thing all together. it will be hard for them to test every different scenario with the os/software as everyone has different computers to connect it to, etc.
Honestly, there isn't really an issue. Whenever a really high profile gadget is released, people are bound to stretch things a bit. I own an iPhone 4, don't use the bumper, and have never had a dropped call or whatever the symptoms are supposed to be.
__________________

j03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 06:09 PM   #23
Golden Master
 
01001010's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 7,888
Default Re: I Love you Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude_se View Post
yea but most companies dont charge like double the price like apple do.
Double the price? What are you talking about? The iPhone 4 is priced the same as comparative smartphones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Darkseeker~ View Post
The signal problem came from the un-protected ends of the antenna, after the problems surfaced, Apple put black acrylic strips between the active ends of the antennas so you can't bridge them with your palm or fingers. I've had my iPhone 4 since december and haven't noticed any signal issues anywhere, even in the middle of the countryside still got strong GPRS usually.
Apple didn't change anything because there wasn't a big problem to begin with.
__________________
Stop the genocide now.
↳ www.savedarfur.org

Send comments, suggestions and criticisms.
↳ 01001010listens@gmail.com
01001010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 07:24 PM   #24
Golden Master
 
dude_se's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 8,632
Send a message via AIM to dude_se Send a message via MSN to dude_se
Default Re: I Love you Steve.

iphone 4 appears to be 400-600ish

my galaxy s is 200 - 400, which is pretty much exactly the same spec as the iphone 4.

and as i said the new lg windows phone is 180 on amazon, as well as a load of other decent phones (maybe not quite iphone 4 standard) for a good price.

and i know the signal thing wasnt a massively big problem (except all the complaints), but after forking out 600 odd quid or whatever it was at launch i think id get pretty mad if i couldnt even make a call with it out the box. when i pay a premium for something i expect it to be good, and in this case. a phone for 600 should be perfect. no excuses. flaky software as i said can happen for all kinds of reasons, but a hardware fault that anyone at apple should have spotted is a bit silly really.
__________________
Laptop spec: ASUS X53E, i5 2430m 2.4ghz, 3gb ram, 320gb hdd, intel hd graphics, usb 3.0
dude_se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 11:29 PM   #25
Fully Optimized
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 3,629
Send a message via AIM to ߧ∩H♠H䎀
Default Re: I Love you Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude_se View Post
iphone 4 appears to be 400-600ish

my galaxy s is 200 - 400, which is pretty much exactly the same spec as the iphone 4.

and as i said the new lg windows phone is 180 on amazon, as well as a load of other decent phones (maybe not quite iphone 4 standard) for a good price.

and i know the signal thing wasnt a massively big problem (except all the complaints), but after forking out 600 odd quid or whatever it was at launch i think id get pretty mad if i couldnt even make a call with it out the box. when i pay a premium for something i expect it to be good, and in this case. a phone for 600 should be perfect. no excuses. flaky software as i said can happen for all kinds of reasons, but a hardware fault that anyone at apple should have spotted is a bit silly really.
I'm actually still amazed that people still want to talk about this "antenna problem"... You get a 30 day trial period for a reason, if you're having problems then swap it out for another phone. The whole reason that was blown out of proportion is because of the way they implemented the RSSI reading. There was a huge discrepancy over the gap between full service and where it would start to fall off. For a point of reference on Verizon a -92dB signal reading is equivalent to 2 bars, yet it was being recorded as 4 bars on the iPhone.

This graphic is kind of backwards but do you notice the huge range between 5 bars to 4 bars? Then how the margin starts to go down much faster after that.



Basically all it amounts to is people didn't have that great of service to begin with at a specific location, but the phone indicated 5 bars and when small changes occurred it look dramatic on your phone directly. 5 bars has a 40dB range to 4 bars, while 4 bars to 1 bar has a range of 22dB. See what's wrong with the picture here? Go look around Youtube for phones with attenuation issues and you'll find that most phones suffer from them.
ߧ∩H♠H䎀 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 06:06 AM   #26
Fully Optimized
 
~Darkseeker~'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Welwyn Garden City, United Kingdom
Posts: 2,494
Default Re: I Love you Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude_se View Post
iphone 4 appears to be 400-600ish

my galaxy s is 200 - 400, which is pretty much exactly the same spec as the iphone 4.

and as i said the new lg windows phone is 180 on amazon, as well as a load of other decent phones (maybe not quite iphone 4 standard) for a good price.

and i know the signal thing wasnt a massively big problem (except all the complaints), but after forking out 600 odd quid or whatever it was at launch i think id get pretty mad if i couldnt even make a call with it out the box. when i pay a premium for something i expect it to be good, and in this case. a phone for 600 should be perfect. no excuses. flaky software as i said can happen for all kinds of reasons, but a hardware fault that anyone at apple should have spotted is a bit silly really.
yeah but seriously, who just buys phones these days?

In the long run, me and my girlfriend are paying roughly the same (she has Galaxy S, i've got iPhone 4.) on our contracts. Although the funny thing is, iOS has the app store with 300k+ apps on it, several years of refining the software, 60k+ developers, integration with Mac OS and iTunes, integration of all your apple devices with AppleID (Dedicated service). The iPhone is also made entirely (externally) of aluminium and glass, has a comfortably sized LED screen with the 960p res. High sensitivity and so on. By comparison the Galaxy S has a cumbersomely big screen and creaky plastic, not overly sensitive and a bit jumpy for scrolling sometimes, not as-good of a res, better backlighting if you ask me but that's all there is that's better. Also forcing everyone to set up Gmail to use their phone is annoying.

i could probably rant all day but i'll give it a rest.
__________________
EVGA SLI Micro Z68 // Intel i5-2500k @ 4.4GHz // 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1866MHz // Overclocked ASUS GTX 660 Ti // Corsair Carbide SPEC-03 // Kingston Hyper-X 120GB // 2TB WD Green + 500GB WD Black
#JC4PM
~Darkseeker~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 08:20 AM   #27
Golden Master
 
dude_se's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 8,632
Send a message via AIM to dude_se Send a message via MSN to dude_se
Default Re: I Love you Steve.

valid points, but 600 is still way too overpriced. yea its better on contract, but still, you can get an i7 laptop for that price if you shop around.

for a company that only produces 1 phone (well, with upgrades from time to time) theres no wonder why the apps and support, etc have gone through the roof, and the fact that people think apple are totally amazing and every other phone company is terrible means that there is a flood of iphones around, which is why support and apps are booming. obviously im not a massive fan of apple, but can still see its good side. they do make some very high quality products and provide good support. what can you say that is good about other companies, or the android os for example? you slated the galaxy s quite a lot, when the biggest differences are the os and the looks of the device. for a (pay as you go, not contract) saving of potentially 100's i think i can live with a tackier look. besides, the galaxy s is a fast phone with a good screen (yea the iphones may be slightly better, but who really cares, i dont, the screen is fine).

its all down to personal opinion anyway. im not a fan of itunes and paying over the odds for my phones, and really dont see the big deal about a few extra apps and the fact it looks very nice. its only going to get battered anyway, unless you use an ugly case, which would then essentially make it a galaxy s anyway.
__________________
Laptop spec: ASUS X53E, i5 2430m 2.4ghz, 3gb ram, 320gb hdd, intel hd graphics, usb 3.0
dude_se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 01:42 PM   #28
In Runtime
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 330
Default Re: I Love you Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Darkseeker~ View Post
yeah but seriously, who just buys phones these days?

In the long run, me and my girlfriend are paying roughly the same (she has Galaxy S, i've got iPhone 4.) on our contracts. Although the funny thing is, iOS has the app store with 300k+ apps on it, several years of refining the software, 60k+ developers, integration with Mac OS and iTunes, integration of all your apple devices with AppleID (Dedicated service). The iPhone is also made entirely (externally) of aluminium and glass, has a comfortably sized LED screen with the 960p res. High sensitivity and so on. By comparison the Galaxy S has a cumbersomely big screen and creaky plastic, not overly sensitive and a bit jumpy for scrolling sometimes, not as-good of a res, better backlighting if you ask me but that's all there is that's better. Also forcing everyone to set up Gmail to use their phone is annoying.

i could probably rant all day but i'll give it a rest.
And how is it any different from using itunes on every divice for apple things? Making an e-mail account so you can restore apps and contacts from google's servers isn't a "bad thing" in my opinion. That's the best part of android, which apple does similar. Would you rather lose all your stuff when you start romming or forgetting to backup through the bootloaders?
krone6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 03:16 PM   #29
Golden Master
 
dude_se's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 8,632
Send a message via AIM to dude_se Send a message via MSN to dude_se
Default Re: I Love you Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by krone6 View Post
And how is it any different from using itunes on every divice for apple things? Making an e-mail account so you can restore apps and contacts from google's servers isn't a "bad thing" in my opinion. That's the best part of android, which apple does similar. Would you rather lose all your stuff when you start romming or forgetting to backup through the bootloaders?
was going to make that point too, but itunes stresses me out. i would of written a page about it lol.
__________________

__________________
Laptop spec: ASUS X53E, i5 2430m 2.4ghz, 3gb ram, 320gb hdd, intel hd graphics, usb 3.0
dude_se is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:49 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0