I just lost all faith in my state's government...

hah, actually I'm in an office for 8 hours a day, 40 hours a week, most weekends, most public holidays :p But this is hopefully just a stepping stone to better things. Luckily said office has some of the best banter anyone could hope for... and some fairly interesting and amiable characters. Even so, some of the guys here are 30+, I'm hoping i'm on more than £6.75/hour when i'm in my thirties.

hah, actually I'm in an office for 8 hours a day, 40 hours a week, most weekends, most public holidays :p But this is hopefully just a stepping stone to better things. Luckily said office has some of the best banter anyone could hope for... and some fairly interesting and amiable characters. Even so, some of the guys here are 30+, I'm hoping i'm on more than £6.75/hour when i'm in my thirties.

Yeah, I guess it could be okay if you had friends there and were allowed to socialize. Unfortunately, people generally hate me simply for existing, so I'm really not expecting much of that.

/downer

That's probably the dumbest thing I have ever read on this forum.

Oh come on, I was exaggerating to get my point across. Who doesn't?

Keep in mind, when I think "homeless," I'm thinking something more along the lines of simply not owning a house, and moving around a lot, doing freelance-type stuff/photography/whatever for money.I've actually thought about this, and it honestly doesn't sound all that bad. I know it really isn't realistic, but I never said I was serious about it.

Also, it's funny how fast these types of threads get totally off topic. I like it.

The gov't is slowly taking power wherever they can... There are things that we just assume is normal today that our founding fathers would be appalled about.

Technically, we are supposed to be paying tax on ALL of our purchases. I just bought a snowmobile for $1000, but I have a bill of sale for $400. Oops! haha, I don't believe the gov't should be allowed to tax something multiple times like this.

The gov't is slowly taking power wherever they can... There are things that we just assume is normal today that our founding fathers would be appalled about.

Technically, we are supposed to be paying tax on ALL of our purchases. I just bought a snowmobile for $1000, but I have a bill of sale for $400. Oops! haha, I don't believe the gov't should be allowed to tax something multiple times like this.

What I've always been told is that sales tax (at least in most states) is only applicable to businesses. Any private sales are exempt, with the exception being government-regulated things like vehicles, housing, firearms, etc. I haven't actually read the entire tax code though, so I may be entirely wrong here.

IMO, what's really screwed up is that fact that Louisiana requires residents to pay sales tax twice on any out-of-state purchases. What's up with that? The product was purchased from a vendor operating in a different state, so why should Louisiana collect a tax on it? AFAIK, most other states operate in a similar way.

the thing I understand the least in this is that it doesn't apply to pawn brokers.

I find that pretty absurd.

if you don't like this law, why not write to your states politician, or a news paper and try to get them to understand how stupid this is?

LA HB 195 - Louisiana Legislature - 2011 - Legislation - MyGov365

What. The. Hell.?

It requires:

-anybody who sells anything used to keep extensive records of all purchases, including personal information of the buyer

-a license must be obtained to sell anything for >$25

-All sales of used property must be reported

-minors are not allowed to sell anything at all (what the f**k?)

So basically, garage sales are now illegal in the state of Louisiana, as are any private transactions. I don't even know how to put into words how screwed up this is.

What a great idea the Louisiana ruling egg-heads have come up with.
Please send the details to :- David Cameron, Houses of Parliament, London, UK.

He`ll love it so much he will add it to his comprehensive Manual of "How to screw up a nation".

Back
Top Bottom