I have some stuff to say.. lol

Natalya1

Daemon Poster
Well, as you all know ive been venturing off into other OSs that are out there, jsut to learn more and what not... BUT

The more i use the linux GUI environment, the more i realise how much i miss the windows GUI environment.

LINUX GUI SUX --> WINDOWS OWNS! (only in the GUI aspect of things)

but in CLI, LINUX OWNS microsofts crap...

Ive seriously had it, oh and another thing that annoys the hell outta me, I HAVE TO MOUNT MY USB EVERYTIME I PLUG IT INTO A LINUX MACHINE! and they say windows is toooo user friendly, DAMN STRAIGHT! i wonder how many people would like to go into command mode and mount their USB in everytime they plug it in, i just dont have the time of day....

ok well thats it for now, ive been talking about this stuff with the guys at work all day and i just had to get this out lol

Thankyou for listening!

Natalya

thanks for the info. you always hear people saying how great linux is, but don't hear much of the problems like you put out here.

Yeah, people always praise linux for it's pros, but go silent when asked about it's cons.. linux is just too time consuming.

Natalya said:
Ive seriously had it, oh and another thing that annoys the hell outta me, I HAVE TO MOUNT MY USB EVERYTIME I PLUG IT INTO A LINUX MACHINE! and they say windows is toooo user friendly, DAMN STRAIGHT! i wonder how many people would like to go into command mode and mount their USB in everytime they plug it in, i just dont have the time of day....

I think you've completely missed the point of Linux, to be fair. Windows is for users who want it to do everything for them; eg when you put in a USB device, Windows knows it and asks what you want to do with it, just like CDs and DVD's. There's very little that a user would have to do, just click a few things and bang, job's done. A user with moderate knowledge of Windows could do all the tasks he/she requires without even knowing that a CLI exists on the system.

Linux is not like that, it never has been and probably never will be. With Linux, you can't do a lot without experience and/or knowledge of the CLI. Which in a way is the whole point, some users of windows feel that Microsoft's effort "mothers" them too much. With Linux you need to know parts of the programming, you need to know CLI and you need to know how everything works behind the scenes, with Windows knowledge of this isn't really needed for a general user. So in conclusion:

Linux is great for a user who wants to learn how a computer works and runs, because it's mandatory to actually do anything on a Linux OS.

Windows is great for a user who just wants things done easily and quickly, and nothing too much more.

Slayer said:
Windows is great for a user who just wants things done easily and quickly, and nothing too much more.

That pretty much hits the nail on the head.

It just annoys me how people go on and on about linux being better than windows... but as your post suggusts, it depends on the particular user. One os is better for one user, another os is better for another user.

i know, i understand that linux is more for the experienced user and what not, thats why i wanted to learn linux, and as i said its cli is great, and i enjoy using it, however mounting a usb is one thing that soon i wont have to do all the time.. i mean even for the experienced user it does gat rather frustrating lol

why don't you just write a script to do it and leave the file on the desktop.
or write a script so that you can just type
usb-go or simillar to save you having to go through the whole mount statement each and every time you plug in the USB device?

I have to agree though, Linux is frustrating when you just want to get stuff done...
IMO my computer is there to make my life easier, not harder.

See why I can't switch to Linux? I don't have the capabilities. My stuff hangs were Windows 3.00-3.11 is. I 0wn3d these,

And for you with Windows, Welcome to the dark side. Cookies on the left and muffins on the right. Have fun eating a mushroom

Windows is a better operating system for people that like automated things, or beginners.. :) Linux is defintely not for the person that just learned how to use a computer.

Back
Top Bottom