I got 'caught' Plagiarizing?

so, my teacher responds....

Matt:
I understand your concern and I thank you for your message. I do not know who plagiarized what part of the paper. Since you were not in class when the paper was returned, I will share some info with you. The plagiarism involved pages 3 through 5 and included word-for-word information from Fortune.com, money.com, cnn.com, entrepreneur.com and thinkexist.com. without in text citations or references. In the meantime, the paper was edited and resubmitted by ****. I am in the process of grading the paper and the grade will be available on tracker tomorrow morning.

I will hold onto the paper and you are welcome to visit me (Room 405) to see which part of the paper was plagiarized.

Enjoy your vacation!

Mis ****

~~~~~~~
and she doesn't care about structure,
atleast my buddy backed us up.

WOW seriously whoever "edited" the paper and plagiarized it is not very smart at all. OBV this was no accident if it was direct words from all those different sites.

The thing that gets me is the last thing I Bolded. If someone was to pull that sh*t at my college there would be no grade not only for that paper but for the whole semester. You would actually be lucky to not get expelled due to this... You are very lucky your teacher (professor) is letting this fly. I would be submitting new applications to colleges hoping like hell I could even get into another one due to something like this. I don't understand how anyone could think they could get away with something like this. It's something your not going to get away with in high school never mind in College.

I know in our school district our teachers have programs they submit your paper to and it scans the text and checks all sites out there to see if the text matches with sites, and it tells you all about it.

Wait how if you wrote the paper, are you getting in trouble when you say you didn't plagiarize?

If someone pulled this shit at my university they would be expelled faster then they could open their mouth.
Exactly the same at mine, or any other decent university that I know - and I've seen it happen. If you actually have plagarised (knowing it or not) and just end up getting 0 or even a low mark on that one paper, you're very lucky that's all your punishment is, I'd accept it, learn from it and move on!

when I worked in a uni I saw some of this software being tested,
it is very good, but it's not infallible.

I would hope that the teacher actually compared the articles that she says that you've plagiarized and not just relied on a computer to check for her...

pretty much no ideas are new, and the more specific you get the easier it is to unknowingly plagiarize a subject.

in just about any given piece of writing you'll be able to Google a specific sentence or phrase and turn up hundreds of results.
it may be that the information looks to have been plagiarized from several sites because there is only one logical way of presenting the information.

Say for example you're performing a science experiment, your write up method will look very much like every other person in the world that has done the experiment before you, your conclusions will be roughly the same.
you could be locked away for life and still present information that to one person may look like it's plagiarized,

the key question here is how generalised is the information that you presented?

Well, from the teachers response:
The plagiarism involved pages 3 through 5 and included word-for-word information from Fortune.com, money.com, cnn.com, entrepreneur.com and thinkexist.com. without in text citations or references.
If it's generally the same format with some of the same wording, then I'm completely with you - sometimes there's only one logical way of presenting said information and software can take that in error, which is why every accusation should be checked by hand before disciplinary action is taken. If it was word for word though, that really is a different story...

i can tell that people online love to stick it to who ever when they get the chance,

and its not a college, its a Trade School

If she doesn't lock you up, the grammar police will.

Failure.

seriously, drop the grammar ****, it was discussed an now its over

but what Root said, is what i am talking about, there is only so many ways to say certain things, you just cant escape from it, but i think i know who did it, and i was told it was not me. Wait till i see this guy....

an ya it was a group effort type paper, we each did 2 pages an put it together to get 6 pages for the paper

Back
Top Bottom