I got 'caught' Plagiarizing?

Did you paraphrase some sort of authored text? If you do not site a paraphrased source, it's considered plagiarism. Quite a few people don't expect this but the rules still apply.

On a side note, if you plan on getting your bachelors you should be aware that most professors (assuming they are professors) will grade poorly for misuse of grammar, punctuation, etc for any class. I'm surprised you never heard anything because I've been to a technology school, community college, and university. Every school were strict on college level writing for any class.

Ms *****,
Is this true that i was 'caught' plagiarizing? How is this? I have never plagiarized anything in my life, ever. Now i am not pointing figures at anyone, i just want to know what is going on, that is all. I have great knowledge of Steve Jobs and Bill Gates about themselves and what they do, and I am actively apart of an online forum about computer hardware and software, past and present, there would be no need for me to plagiarize in the first place. I do not know for sure if it was me or what is going on, i only know of this through a txt message from my two partners, ****** and ******. I would really appreciate that you get back to me on this as soon as possible. It is not like me to take other peoples work and pass it off as my own, I was not brought up like that, i was brought up taught to take pride in my work from a family of Steel Worker ethic. And the only reason why I was not in class today was because i am leaving for vacation back home up north soon for a week. Thanks for reading my E-mail

~Thanks Again,
Matt

As far as I know you sent it, but I think you should have been more "Formal"
Sure grammar is not the most important thing in the World, but when it comes to your teacher, act like it is.
You should have written it differently.

Personally, however, for me this is more like a face to face talk, not on Email.

I think that an email was fine to get a meeting with the teacher to personally go over this but I don't think that this email was worth writing. I know to you grammar or presentation of this type of email isn't a big deal but a college PROFESSOR does. I am VERY close with my adviser/professor in my college and I will tell you that a well written email will get more attention then the one you sent. I have spoken with him quite a few times about similar things and he has told me how some students get their emails deleted without even being read fully due to poor grammar and misspelling. I don't mean any harm by this but I honestly would use this email as further proof that you may have/did plagiarize something. Trying to defend yourself like that makes you sound guilty more than anything.

Did the teacher tell you exactly what he/she thought that you plagiarized? If so did they tell you what they used to catch you? Another thing is to avoid this happening again why not just quote and site what you used. It takes less than a minute to site your source and give them credit while avoiding being accused of plagiarism.

She probably google some of your text or something, I've heard of teachers doing that

Yup. My high school English teacher was a real hard a**. She would fail you for plagiarism. She has a whole thing she can use to search the internet for that kind of thing to see if you copied even a sentence.

Good luck to the OP; with your spelling and your predicament. :cool:

wow, u guys are ridiculous, seriously, thanks, surely made me feel much better, and i do not have professors, there called teachers.

and i did not paraphrase anything,

i did not even read up on anything to do with Jobs, at all, it was just all knowledge that i knew personally

an i personally do not think that you should be judged by how u spell, you should be judged on what you know and how good you are in your field, but i know theres always gunna say...but.....but...but.... so w/e

sory, just not inna good kinda mood. (yes i will type in crap lingo just to upset everyone that thinks you hafto type in perfect grammar 24.7

Sorry, but that letter was badly written with poor grammar, and sent like that it won't help your case at all whether you plagerised or not! You might not be getting an English degree but maintaining a high level of professionalism is expected in academia and it always helps.

That aside, your best bet now is probably to arrange a meeting asking politely if you could be prevented with said "evidence" of plagarism, which you can then formally and politely dispute. Notice the emphasis on formally and politely, I know it sucks when you're accused of something you haven't done, but if you want this resolved going off on one at your teacher WON'T help in the slightest!

Good luck with it, I hope you manage to sort it out.

Back
Top Bottom