I browsed the members list

Hey, nice find. :thumb:

What bugs me is that I've Googled forums, list of forums and such but never found good forums like this. It's only by word of mouth did anything good come up.

Thanks mate.

To give you an idea of past activity - back in the day when I joined (and even that was after the real peak), a topic posted in any of the popular forums would generally get pushed off the front page within half an hour.

It's not really comparable as its been around for longer (I think) and has always been pretty large. But the Ultimate Guitar forums I used to frequent - anything posted in any of those forums would drop to page 2 or 3 within an hour. In the 'pit' (or 'not related' forum) you could expect to see 100-200 new topics an hour at peak times.

Though, it has to be said, they've all died down since social media took off like has already been said...

Most people join a forum to get help with a specific problem. Those of us that join to help others or get a kick out of helping someone else spec up a system are starting to die out :lol:

edit: in fact, I just logged onto my long dormant UG profile to see if the narrative holds... in 2009 every topic on page 1 would've been from within the last few minutes. Now, within the first 10 results its '9 hours ago'...

Last edited:
It's not really comparable as its been around for longer (I think) and has always been pretty large. But the Ultimate Guitar forums I used to frequent - anything posted in any of those forums would drop to page 2 or 3 within an hour. In the 'pit' (or 'not related' forum) you could expect to see 100-200 new topics an hour at peak times.

Though, it has to be said, they've all died down since social media took off like has already been said...

Most people join a forum to get help with a specific problem. Those of us that join to help others or get a kick out of helping someone else spec up a system are starting to die out :lol:

edit: in fact, I just logged onto my long dormant UG profile to see if the narrative holds... in 2009 every topic on page 1 would've been from within the last few minutes. Now, within the first 10 results its '9 hours ago'...

Some forums grow over time and some shrink.

Some forums grow over time and some shrink.

I imagine that UG was in it's peak when I was using it regularly between '08 and '11.

and I have to agree, over time the actual on-topic forums got deader and deader and everyone went to the Pit (which has, in total, nearly as many posts in it as the rest of the website added together) at which point it became unusable as a source... too many posts, you might see maybe 1/10th of them :lol:

Then mods clamped down on iffy behaviour and numbers dwindled. Then I got banned for trolling... but then again I was like 17 at the time and I'm fully aware I was an enormous *expletive*. I'm actually not sure what specific thing they banned me for. But I wasn't popular with one of the big shots who took a lot of joy in sending me that email...

Back
Top Bottom