I am disappointed in Texas justice...

Amazing to see how it varies when it comes to punishments. My Nephew's friend who had 15+ DUIs served a year in prison and soon after he got out he's back in for DUI.

Talk about hard core and only one year in prison after all that? Only in Texas I guess and he's gonna be doing years this time (I think).

My Nephew's been sober all week and he seems to be cool about it. He already lost his car in the pound and two court dates coming up at the end of this month.

There's a reason federal regulations require "eight hours bottle-to-throttle" for pilots (at least that's what it was a few years back. I'm retired now and don't read those regs anymore). The point is there has to be a significant time passage for the alcohol to be eliminated from the body. Anyone who tests over the legal limit after a night's sleep has got some real problems. I have little sympathy for someone who has gotten a DUI and absolutely no sympathy for someone who has gotten multiple DUIs. It is just too easy to get a cab or call a friend.

There's a reason federal regulations require "eight hours bottle-to-throttle" for pilots (at least that's what it was a few years back. I'm retired now and don't read those regs anymore).

I have little sympathy for someone who has gotten a DUI and absolutely no sympathy for someone who has gotten multiple DUIs. It is just too easy to get a cab or call a friend.

Agreed, the RAF in the UK I believe run a similar regulation which I tend to follow when I'm due to fly: 24 hours from bottle to throttle

Last edited:
Anyone who tests over the legal limit after a night's sleep has got some real problems.
I guess in the UK we like a good drink...

I don't think it is as uncommon as you think to be over the limit the next day.
Standard Drinks As A measure Of Alcohol Consumption And Intoxication
that site has all the calculations:

Lets say I'm in the UK, drinking a standard 5% (and here weak is around 4% standard is around 5 - 5.5% and strong is around 6 - 7.5%)
and I drink 6 pints.

A 568ml pint of 5.0% (mid strength) alcohol beer = 568 x 0.05 = 28.4ml alcohol
28.4ml / 12.50ml = 2.72 standard drinks.
(e.g if you can drink 2 standard drinks in 1 hour and be safe to drive, then even if you try really hard and nurse your beer into a horribly warm finish, you still can't drive).

but I drink 6 between 8pm and 11pm. (and that's only 2 per hour)
(that's 13.6 standard drinks/units)

I go out for work at 8 am, and I'll have had the 8 hours sleep, in fact I'll have had 9 hours between bottle to throttle.

12 (hours) + 1 = 13 standard drinks "allowed" during that time
6 (pint) x 2.72 (standard drink equivalents) = 13.6 standard drinks

(so I'm still a bit over the limit, and need to be around 40 minutes late for work...)

I don't think that drinking 6 drinks, as a part of a celebration is particularly "going for it". nor do I think that doing this "occasionally" would indicate that someone had a problem...

Having said that, if you based your opinion on this site:
Drinks Before Driving If BAC Is .05 - Business Insider

where the chart suggests that a fat mat (250lbs) could drink 5 drinks and be just under that 0.8 limit then yeah, I'd see that as a problem.
that site suggests that anyone could drink a large (35ml) shot of 35% whiskey (that's 1 drink) and be safe to drive, in fact both sites claim that a couple of run and cokes, (single measures) over an hour and most people should feel fine to get in their car and drive!

but five drinks (for that fat man), that's a quarter of a 70CL (standard UK size for spirits) bottle of whiskey.
almost a whole bottle of wine to himself...

yeah, based on that (quite bad) advice then that sounds like a problem.

Last edited:
Heh, I attempted to down a bottle of Vodka one time. I guess you can say that I am not much of a drinker most of the time, because that stuff kicked my a** hard and I weigh in at around 255 LBS. :)
I would have been in less shape to drive the next morning than I was that night. Combine the hang over with still being a bit drunk, and yeah.

Back
Top Bottom