HP Z400 Workstation

Wait, let me get this straight. You're just replacing an every-day computer (I don't know what your current HP is used for), and you want to replace it with a workstation computer? Unless you're doing your 3D modeling, rendering, etc. this will be a big waste of money.

Wait, let me get this straight. You're just replacing an every-day computer (I don't know what your current HP is used for), and you want to replace it with a workstation computer? Unless you're doing your 3D modeling, rendering, etc. this will be a big waste of money.
No, I don't consider it a huge waste of money at all. Considering that I've gotten five years out of this specific computer (6 years when I do plan to upgrade), I consider it a very smart purchase that will last me well into the future.

I'm not paying for hardware alone. I'm paying for scalability, reliability and support. I don't upgrade my PC often, but when I do, I want a reliable machine that will last.

The i7 architecture is far "smarter" than the Core 2 Quads. TurboBoost will make it a more significant upgrade right now. When you need the extra power, it will give to you. Why would you upgrade to a processor line that's becoming obsolete? I'm not criticizing your choice of buying pre-built, I just think you could pair up with newer technology.

They are Socket 1366 Nehalem high binned CPU's. They're highly reliable chips.

I'd go for a dual CPU spec though. But it'd depend on what i'm doing on the machine I guess.

Oh wow! I'm blind. I completely read the name wrong. Forgive me. The architecture on those Xeons is the same as an i7, in which case this upgrade would be a move forward in technology. What exact specification are you looking to go with, J? Do they let you "edit" the basic model?

In terms of a budget, I might be willing to spend around $1000 - $1700. Just looking to see what HP currently offers.

Looking online, I just might wait till Intel releases their new microarchitecture otherwise known as Sandy Bridge at around late 2010.

That might be a perfect time to upgrade.

We've got a very good idea of what Sandy Bridge will bring us. Just look at the superb i7-980X; should've been the i9. Yes it costs a bomb but it is an absolutely fantastic CPU.

The highly binned server/WS versions of this CPU will be popular.

EDIT:

In fact the 32nm Nehalem i7-980X alone supersedes some dual-processor 45nm Xeon systems. This alone give you a clue of the power of the 32nm Intel architecture.

I'd wait for just a little bit longer. With new product lines right around the corner, might be prudent to hang on.

Back
Top Bottom