How pathetic..

yes, but even the word gay changed meanings...

I don't think that this song should be sensored, mainly cause it's a bloody great song...

anyway... I'm off to have a couple of fags and intend to eat a few faggots later tonight... (tee hee hee a strangely innocent sentance).

british sensibilities don't apply in america, so I don't see why american sensibilities should apply over here.

Hah, you say that here in the US and people will think you're a homosexual.

Oh how times have changed...

^ exactly.. i was just saying that i was feeling rather happy..

kinda prooves my 'why should we let Americanisms apply to old english songs...'

In England, fag was the term used at schools like Eton, a "fag" was a newbie, a boy who had just become a pupil, sixformers use to pick one out, it was usually a very nervous shy boy that they gave endless tasks to do like polish their shoes, fetch & carry etc, after lessons until well after midnight, This was portrayed brilliantly in "Tom Brown's Schooldays" a book written by Thomas Hughes, the main character was "Flashman" a very nasty sixthformer who made Tom's life a living hell, it was also made into a film, it was said to be based on the author's own experiences there.

Yeah, I read about something like that in one of Roald Dahl's short stories where the main character is a newbie or "fag" at the Repton School. Pretty good story might I add...I've always enjoyed some of Dahl's work.

lots of words of changed meanings, does that mean we should allow them to stay in other songs? pretty much all of the "naughty" words use to mean something civil. does that mean we should still allow those words on the radio? i dont think so, but i could care less.

lots of words of changed meanings, does that mean we should allow them to stay in other songs? pretty much all of the "naughty" words use to mean something civil. does that mean we should still allow those words on the radio? i dont think so, but i could care less.

Yeah and while we're at it, lets go through all the great works of literature that have the word "gay" and censor them too, because they're totally offensive even though the original meaning was to "have or show a merry, lively mood" :rolleyes: Words have different meanings and just because we're used to one way of perceiving them doesn't mean we shouldn't be open minded to how other people perceive the word.

You have to understand that some words mean different things in different locations. The word "fag" is commonly used in Britain and the UK and it's meaning isn't derogatory, but to us people in the US it would be derogatory because of the way WE use the word. Doesn't mean that a british radio station should censor a classic song because of American political correctness.

Yeah and while we're at it, lets go through all the great works of literature that have the word "gay" and censor them too, because they're totally offensive even though the original meaning was to "have or show a merry, lively mood" :rolleyes: Words have different meanings and just because we're used to one way of perceiving them doesn't mean we shouldn't be open minded to how other people perceive the word.

You have to understand that some words mean different things in different locations. The word "fag" is commonly used in Britain and the UK and it's meaning isn't derogatory, but to us people in the US it would be derogatory because of the way WE use the word. Doesn't mean that a british radio station should censor a classic song because of American political correctness.
Al, didn't a member recently think you weren't British??, guys he's as British as cod & chips, eaten out of a newspaper on a cold & frosty night, you are soooo right only we understand what we mean & say, & we're proud of it
spinface.gif

Back
Top Bottom