Go Back   Computer Forums > Welcome To Computer Forums .org > Social Lounge | Off Topic
Join Computer forums Today

View Poll Results: Do you replace your computer:
every 5 years? 2 28.57%
every 10+ years? 0 0%
when it breaks down? or 1 14.29%
something else 4 57.14%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-11-2012, 10:44 AM   #11
Daemon Poster
Default Re: How often do you replace your computer?

Originally Posted by strollin View Post
Frankly, I upgrade when I get the urge. I recently went from an i7-860 to an i7-3770K simply because I wanted to build a new machine. I gave the old machine to my daughter.

I've never had a computer "breakdown" to the point where it wasn't fixable and I've had a lot of computers over the last 28 years that I've owned them.

The number of years I've had a particular computer doesn't play a part in when I upgrade, mostly I get the urge because of some newer technology or feature that comes along.
This ^

The only difference is my old machines go to my son. That uncontrollable, addictive urge to build a new machine, over takes my common sense about once every 3 years.

HAF 932 Advanced / Corsair AX1200 / Asus Rampage IV Extreme / i7-3930K / H100 Cooling 4x120mm
16GB Corsair DDR3 / GTX 580x2 SLI + GTX 460 PhysX / SSDs Mushkin 240GB, Crucial 256GB, Crucial 512GB
Hameister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 03:30 AM   #12
Solid State Member
Default Re: How often do you replace your computer?

I just got my new PC two months ago. I got a good and fast machine now. My old one was still working fine after eight loooooong years, but it was so old and slow and for the last couple of years I couldn't play any of the new games on it. And there was no way of upgrading it since all the plugs had changed meanwhile, so I just had to get rid of it. Eight years is a long time to keep a PC. Probably too long. I'm not the kind of guy who wastes stuff and throws something away when it is still working fine, but in this case I just had to buy a new one. However, if my new PC should have any trouble like a total virus breakdown or something, I still got the old one and can put it back on my desk anytime.

CylonPrime is offline   Reply With Quote