• Change lanes?

Votes: 4 21.1%
  • Ignore him?

Votes: 7 36.8%
  • Speed up?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Slow down?

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • Flash your lights back at him once he gets ahead?

• Honk at him?

• Yell at him, with or without obscenities?

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • Flip him the bird?

Votes: 2 10.5%
  • Or some combination of the above or something else?

Votes: 4 21.1%

• Total voters
I've never heard that before. In fact my driver's Ed. teacher told me exactly what iPwn said: center lane for more evasive options.
what your instructor should have told you is that you should leave enough distance in front of you to be able to react to any situation.

you should not need to swerve at all.

it shouldn't matter if someone brakes, rolls, flips or crap falls of the top of their car, you should have left enough time between your self and the person that you are following to be able to take safe evasive action.

Safe evasive action includes.
slowing down, stopping (emergency braking) slowing and changing lanes, (changing lanes involves checking the other lanes to make sure that you're not cutting people up.)

I'd never want to just outright say that I was a better driver that someone else. but if you don't leave enough space between you and the person in front so that you can respond to emergency situations then that does make you a bad driver!

plan your position in the road. in accordance with the traffic around you, the road surface, the weather conditions. -and yes, sometime that might actually mean using the centre lane, (for example in hard rain when the "slow" lanes was flooded)

failing to plan is planning to fail.

planning to swerve is planning to fail. I'd love to see a big/tall SUV successfully swerve in highway traffic going highway speeds (70MPH in England).

most likely emergency steering, of a top heavy vehicle will lead to a lot of people being late for work and your car laying on it side!

what your instructor should have told you is that you should leave enough distance in front of you to be able to react to any situation.

you should not need to swerve at all.

it shouldn't matter if someone brakes, rolls, flips or crap falls of the top of their car, you should have left enough time between your self and the person that you are following to be able to take safe evasive action.

Safe evasive action includes.
slowing down, stopping (emergency braking) slowing and changing lanes, (changing lanes involves checking the other lanes to make sure that you're not cutting people up.)

I'd never want to just outright say that I was a better driver that someone else. but if you don't leave enough space between you and the person in front so that you can respond to emergency situations then that does make you a bad driver!

plan your position in the road. in accordance with the traffic around you, the road surface, the weather conditions. -and yes, sometime that might actually mean using the centre lane, (for example in hard rain when the "slow" lanes was flooded)

failing to plan is planning to fail.

planning to swerve is planning to fail. I'd love to see a big/tall SUV successfully swerve in highway traffic going highway speeds (70MPH in England).

most likely emergency steering, of a top heavy vehicle will lead to a lot of people being late for work and your car laying on it side!

Jeep Grand Cherokee moose test -- the full story - YouTube

We test all our vehicles to make sure they can swerve now. Chrysler was not happy about that video because they said it wasn't correct. I have no idea. I work for GM. Our cars are better. Haha.

Root, I will have to disagree on that. You should always have an escape route. Something taught in every motorcycle class too. And the center lane is the best lane because there are escape routes on both sides. It would be ideal to leave room in front of you. But if you have ever driven a car, you know that is impossible. As soon as there is more than 15 feet between you and the car in front of you, someone will squeeze in. At least, that's how it is in Chicago.
Center lane is also safer because the right lane is where cars will be merging in and the left lane is for passing. Ever notice how truck drivers are always in the center lane when there are three lanes?

We test all our vehicles to make sure they can swerve now. Chrysler was not happy about that video because they said it wasn't correct. I have no idea. I work for GM. Our cars are better. Haha.

Root, I will have to disagree on that. You should always have an escape route. Something taught in every motorcycle class too. And the center lane is the best lane because there are escape routes on both sides. It would be ideal to leave room in front of you. But if you have ever driven a car, you know that is impossible. As soon as there is more than 15 feet between you and the car in front of you, someone will squeeze in. At least, that's how it is in Chicago.
Center lane is also safer because the right lane is where cars will be merging in and the left lane is for passing. Ever notice how truck drivers are always in the center lane when there are three lanes?

I've learned you should stay in the right lane to avoid a head-on collision. In my second scenario, that truckdriver was being pushy.

Over here in Australia we are opposite to you but the left lane is slow, merging on & off... middle lanes busiest and much well on speed limit right lane mainly for passing/overtaking....
Trucks on certain highways banned from right lane & sounds like it will become a national soon on all multiple lane highways to ban tracks from right lanes.

Swerving at high speed is a recipe for disaster/accidents, any one who drives a car should know that as most people would lose control....root explanation would be the best safest option I have read here.

Back
Top Bottom