How did Nvidia pick their name?

I have thought about this for a long time. Your thought about nVidia coming from the Latin "Invidia" makes sense, a lot of sense indeed. I began thinking of this because my native tongue is Spanish, in which the word envy is "envidia" pronounced exactly like nVidia and written almost in the same way except for the "e" at its beginning.

It actually makes a lot of sense to me, having a nVidia video card would make people be envious of you :p.

For the person who said that there are a lot of cognates between Latin and English, you should see in Spanish, there are hundreds! The reason for this is that Spanish, English and French are languages directly derived from Latin, taking in count all the changes that have taken place throughout time of course.

a bit off track as such, but i know a french bloke who earns a living from inventing company/trade names. the biggest money spinner he had was Wanadoo (french ISP, since been renamed) but he tells me that 90% of names he is asked to come up with have to be latin based or atleast psuedo latin sounding.

vicis pro nonnullus vinum , bonus nox noctis

Luiz396 said:
I have thought about this for a long time. Your thought about nVidia coming from the Latin "Invidia" makes sense, a lot of sense indeed. I began thinking of this because my native tongue is Spanish, in which the word envy is "envidia" pronounced exactly like nVidia and written almost in the same way except for the "e" at its beginning.

It actually makes a lot of sense to me, having a nVidia video card would make people be envious of you :p.

For the person who said that there are a lot of cognates between Latin and English, you should see in Spanish, there are hundreds! The reason for this is that Spanish, English and French are languages directly derived from Latin, taking in count all the changes that have taken place throughout time of course.

Yeah, I know. The Romance languages like Spanish, French, and Italian (even some Portuguese and Romanian) have really had a huge influence on the English language...I had a class last year about stuff like that. The reason for that is that the Roman Empire had control over "Brittania" for a long while; then after the fall, the French had control over it for quite some time too, if I remember right.

But anyways, I hope we figure out why nVidia was named that...I wanna know now. And btw, nice grammatical skills and spelling for a non-native tongue. :D

parismouton said:
a bit off track as such, but i know a french bloke who earns a living from inventing company/trade names. the biggest money spinner he had was Wanadoo (french ISP, since been renamed) but he tells me that 90% of names he is asked to come up with have to be latin based or atleast psuedo latin sounding.

vicis pro nonnullus vinum , bonus nox noctis

Vos solers es, meus amicus. :D (hope I got the endings right... :rolleyes: and my vocabulary is quite limited now, so that's as good as I can get that sentence)

Angus and Malcolm Young claim that they first got the idea for the name after seeing the acronym "AC/DC" on the back of a sewing machine owned by their sister, Margaret Young. It is an abbreviation for "Alternating Current/Direct Current," indicating a device can be powered by either type of power source. The Young brothers liked the way that this name symbolized the band's raw energy and power-driven performances so the name stuck.[40]

In some cultures, "AC/DC" is a slang term implying bisexuality. The band have said that they were initally unaware of this and that the public brought it to their attention.[22] This perception was encouraged by the band's early glam rock image, which included satin jumpsuits (common rock attire in the early 1970s) and other costumes including Angus' schoolboy persona (many bands at the time adopted a deliberately theatrical and androgynous look, including two of Malcolm's heroes: The Rolling Stones and Marc Bolan).

Some religious figures have suggested that the name stood for "Anti-Christ/Devil's Children", "After Christ/Devil Comes" or "Anti Christ/Death to Christ;" the rumour has long persisted among critics who, already disliking the band's image, use it to paint the band as Satanists. The band has stated this is not true and has mocked these accusations, for example, Malcolm Young once said: "Me mum would kill me for that!"[41] The band also stated publicly: "We write songs like this to make a point and to give the listeners a picture in their minds." For example, the band states that "Highway to Hell" was written about touring on the roads of America, before they were highly popular.

The name AC/DC is pronounced one letter at a time, although the band is nicknamed "Acca Dacca" by its Australian fans. The name has inspired a rash of tribute bands. To name just a few: BC/DC, from the Canadian province of British Columbia; AC/DShe, an all-female group from San Francisco; Hayseed Dixie, an Appalachian band specializing in bluegrass covers.

Quoted from Wikipedia.....

Trivium Nate said:
Well you have to name it something

Im sorru but what does Ac/Dc have to go with Nvidia? o_O

There was a conversation running concurrently with the one about what the Nvidia name debating the name ACDC and where the name came from.

Back
Top Bottom