Go Back   Computer Forums > Welcome To Computer Forums .org > Social Lounge | Off Topic
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 10-26-2006, 07:31 PM   #11
Daemon Poster

Cool Re: How did Nvidia pick their name?

I like my idea

Captain Pooka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 09:32 PM   #12
Fully Optimized

Default Re: How did Nvidia pick their name?

they were high, all computer companies are high when they name their products. i mean seriously Microsoft??? lol

Ronco Rox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 09:40 PM   #13
Golden Master

That comes from him buying the OS DOS, aka Microsoft DOS from his friend. And by tat, he moved on.
lhuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 11:42 PM   #14
Daemon Poster

Send a message via AIM to THEpiGUY

Quote:
Originally Posted by mammikoura
So how did they end up with Nvidia? I just started wondering about this at school, since our religion teacher mentioned that invidia (latin) means envy. So kinda got me thinking, not a big difference between nvidia and invidia...
I bet that's a good connection there. Latin always seems to work its way into the English language. I'm taking a Latin class and am in my first year, and there are so many cognates that it's crazy. Then again, it is my first year, so maybe it's just not gotten hard yet, but it's amazing that there are so many similar words.

I don't know anything about hardware manufacturers' history. Which came first, nVidia or ATI? If ATI came first, that almost makes some sense there. Maybe they had envy of ATI...

I think I've decided to leave... maybe I'll come back sometime.
THEpiGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 02:27 AM   #15
Golden Master

Send a message via MSN to mammikoura

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEpiGUY
I don't know anything about hardware manufacturers' history. Which came first, nVidia or ATI? If ATI came first, that almost makes some sense there. Maybe they had envy of ATI...
Ati was first. Nvida came like early 90's or something like that. And yeah, I was thinking about that envy of ati thing too.
mammikoura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 05:44 PM   #16
Daemon Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by mammikoura
Ati was first. Nvida came like early 90's or something like that. And yeah, I was thinking about that envy of ati thing too.
Ok...that kinda makes sense now. Plus, ATI ends in an -i, making it genitive! Which, if you don't take Latin or never studied cases, means "of ____", or "____'s"; it shows posession. Now just to figure out what "Atus" or "Atum" means...if either of those is even a word, which I don't think they are.

Old 10-27-2006, 06:16 PM   #17
Wizard of Wires

I fired off an G-mail last night to Nvidia. I'll post back when I get a reply.

And this envy thing is not factual. It's two companies competing in the same line.
setishock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 07:13 PM   #18
Daemon Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by setishock
And this envy thing is not factual. It's two companies competing in the same line.
I know it's not factual, but you gotta think that it has something somewhat to do with it. I mean, come on, nVidia is such a random name. I know some companies have random names, like NZXT (which I'm sure someone will correct me that it stands for something ) but this is more like a word, not an acronym. And coming from Latin, that just makes more sense. About 20-30% of English words are derived directly from Latin, with even more from derivitives of Latin like French. And "Invidia" is extremely close to "nVidia".

We're just trying to have some fun here...or at least I am. Whatever, I guess we'll find out soon enough. And no, I'm not trying to start a message board fight, I'm just saying that the two words are extremely similar. Cheerz.

Old 10-28-2006, 10:14 AM   #19
Fully Optimized

Send a message via AIM to mongoman

look at the band AC DC they got there name off the back of a vacum cleaner(no joke this is real)
Old 10-28-2006, 02:41 PM   #20
Golden Master

Send a message via MSN to mammikoura

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoman
look at the band AC DC they got there name off the back of a vacum cleaner(no joke this is real)
why would it say AC DC on the back of a vacuum cleaner? Don't vacuum cleaners use just DC?

mammikoura is offline   Reply With Quote