Horray for soldering guns!!!

soldering iron.. not gun.. over here at least.

i use those every day at work, trust me, it isnt fun when youve spent all day doing it.. i havnt burnt myself badly yet, but ive burnt myself quite a few times.. it does hurt a bit.. my job involves soldering with just about all the pieces of equipment i have to fix, it can get pretty tedious after a while.

bahawolf.. thats why i never wear shorts to work, to tin the soldering iron i put solder on the tip and flick it against the desk, ive had a bit fall on my arm before, and it stings a bit.. but the amount of times ive gone home and had solder all over my trousers.. lol..

superman.. if that happened at my old school, they wouldnt be in the school still.. chemistry can be dangerous, very.. and you cant afford to mess around like that..

But when it is heated it gets red. Did you not see the redness on the coils??!!

me thinks youve got this confused..

oh yeah.. and if you wanna learn to solder:

SolderTechniqes.jpg

So, today I was playing around just de-soldering the componets on a crappy DVD player.. What can I say, thats how I spend my free time.. :) Either that, or be on the PC for days straight... So, it was actually my first time trying to de-solder things.. It was fun, to say the least. Pulling all the resistors off and reading their color bands to see what Ohm rating they have.. I'm hardcore like that. :cool: I'll test them with a multimeter in a few days... :cool:

So, heres what happened. I was doing a pretty good job... Then I tried to do a capacitor... well, it had a fairly strong solder joint.. so, i was applying a little bit of force with the soldering gun (mabye a little more than i should have) when my hand i was holding the gun with slipped... needless to say, i have a V shaped burn on my left thumb... I saw it get burned, but I didnt even feel it. It burned through the top layer and halfway through the second layer of skin instantly... amazing, i must say... so, yeah.... if you ever use a soldering gun or any soldering equipment for that matter, be careful. dont apply too much force.. also dont try to do anything after having 2 different types of energy drink.. :eek: especially if it makes you a little twitchy
Ur, they get very hot otherwise they wouldn't be much use, lol, I use the coils of pre-fluxed solder, I guess you do too, years ago you'd have to heat the solder in a Bunsen burner, & there were only clumsy "bars" of solder & tins of solder to dip the non-electric iron into, plenty of burn-scarred hands then, even on professionals on factory production lines! [ouch]

Yeah, soldering guns get EXTREMELY hot... if you've ever had liquid solder fall onto your hand or arm, you know that.

Thats happened a few times before and yeah it hurts real bad
I have also been burnt by hot glue guns countless times that hurts too , and well I did products at school which i pretty much making stuff out of wood and you get loads of little scratches and scrapes there but the worst thing i ever did was touch some big ass hole saw just after cutting through some 9mm mdf , man did that hurt for a few days after , i dont know why i didnt pull my hand away , Mind you it was after a long day at school i guess

Thats happened a few times before and yeah it hurts real bad
I have also been burnt by hot glue guns countless times that hurts too , and well I did products at school which i pretty much making stuff out of wood and you get loads of little scratches and scrapes there but the worst thing i ever did was touch some big ass hole saw just after cutting through some 9mm mdf , man did that hurt for a few days after , i dont know why i didnt pull my hand away , Mind you it was after a long day at school i guess

Ouch! I've never had the unfortunate mishap of being hurt by a saw, but I've been hurt by hot glue guns, yes. That hurt real bad, and ripped the first few layers of my skin right off when my fingers got binded together by the nearly instant binding glue.

Ouch! I've never had the unfortunate mishap of being hurt by a saw, but I've been hurt by hot glue guns, yes. That hurt real bad, and ripped the first few layers of my skin right off when my fingers got binded together by the nearly instant binding glue.

The hole saws where terrible anyway cos all the glue from the MDF melted as well so my finger kinda got stuck to it , needless to say it burnt like hell

well i thought a cigarrete lighter in my bro's car didnt work so after my bro pushed on it(heating it up) i thouched it, i just heard the tssst i didnt feel anything.

you dont feel anything because you pull it off before it gets to lower levels of your skin.
My brother did that once when he was younger. He thought the lighter didn't work when the car was turned off. Needless to say, he stuck his finger on it and got burned real bad.

soldering iron.. not gun.. over here at least.

usually, over here soldering gun and soldering iron are usually interchangeable depending on what you are talking about.

this is what i would call a soldering iron, but the image description says soldering gun... i find that weird...
Soldering_gun.jpg

this is what i would call a soldering gun. almost all of them have a similar trigger-pull method of applying heat.
900-207.JPG

just an informational post. also, the tips on soldering were great!

Ur, they get very hot otherwise they wouldn't be much use, lol, I use the coils of pre-fluxed solder, I guess you do too, years ago you'd have to heat the solder in a Bunsen burner, & there were only clumsy "bars" of solder & tins of solder to dip the non-electric iron into, plenty of burn-scarred hands then, even on professionals on factory production lines! [ouch]

i have one of those soldering irons, i dont use it of course but its pretty sweet to have :)

On a slightly different subject, but still about safety, a group of schoolboys were being shown around a large factory that made furniture by a representative of the firm, they were all gathered round a large planing machine, you know the sort, flat polished steel plate with a full-width slot & rollers with blades just protruding, he leant over it & said, "even when it's off, it's dangerous to touch it like ths", in a split-second there was blood everywhere, the machine was switched on, but it ran so quietly, it looked as though it was off, & he lost two fingertips, they healed in time, but he lost those two fingerprints, a salutory lesson I think, be careful out there guys!!

Back
Top Bottom