Go Back   Computer Forums > Welcome To Computer Forums .org > Social Lounge | Off Topic
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 06-21-2010, 07:27 AM   #1
Fully Optimized

Default Hmm...Twitter to the extreme?

HERE

"In an all-time low for Internet use, Utah Attorney General Mark Shurtleff used Twitter to announce to the public his approval of the execution of convicted murderer Ronnie Lee Gardner. 'I just gave the go ahead to Corrections Director to proceed with Gardner's execution. May God grant him the mercy he denied his victims,' the attorney general wrote. The AG's 7,000 followers retweeted the message further on and soon many replied concerning the awfulness of tweeting the execution of a human being. 'Mr. Shurtleff was doing nothing unusual; politicians and news organizations now routinely send out tweets to alert people to the latest developments. But as Twitter users digested endless breaking news flashes alerting them to the death of a man by firing squad in the United States, for some Mr. Shurtleff's remarks stood out from the rest.'"

jmacavali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 09:19 AM   #2
Fully Optimized

Send a message via AIM to FlightSimBoy
Default Re: Hmm...Twitter to the extreme?

I don't see a problem with it. Everyone is tweeting these days, including politicians. These so called tweets by more or less EVERYONE is getting more and more to the extreme, but however it seems there is no limit, and to be honest, I don't really care.

My Computer: eMachines T5226 - Intel Pentium D Dual Core @ 3 GHz - Diamond Viper Radeon HD3870 OC Edition with 1 GB GDDR3 VRAM - 4 GB PQi Turbo DDR2-533 RAM - Corsair 650W PSU with 52A on single rail - TSSTcorp DVD-DL+-RW combo drive - Lite-on 52x CD-RW burner - Creative SoundBlaster X-Fi XtremeGamer - Logitech z5300e speakers - WinFast TV Tuner - Vista Ultimate 64-Bit. eBay name: Flightsimboy304
FlightSimBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 09:22 AM   #3
BSOD

Everybody's tweets today and thats not unusual.

I don't think many people care anyway.
gmcrepair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 10:04 AM   #4
Fully Optimized

I just want to point out, I don't have an opinion one way or the other. I was just posting an interesting story.

That being said, both of you basically quoted a line in the story 'Mr. Shurtleff was doing nothing unusual; politicians and news organizations now routinely send out tweets to alert people to the latest developments...

But a lot of people did care soon many replied concerning the awfulness of tweeting the execution of a human being

On one hand it seems kind of wrong that this type of thing would be a Twitter post, on the other hand that is the world we live in today.
Old 06-21-2010, 10:24 AM   #5
Fully Optimized

Send a message via AIM to eslfish Send a message via MSN to eslfish Send a message via Yahoo to eslfish

I agree, you shouldn't tweet about extremes like this...people are too attached to Twitter...
Windows 7 64-bit Ultimate
eslfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 03:43 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by eslfish View Post
I agree, you shouldn't tweet about extremes like this...people are too attached to Twitter...
Yeah exactly. Someone being executed is going a little too far
Old 06-21-2010, 05:38 PM   #7
Fully Optimized

Send a message via MSN to tom-knox

The news would have come out eventually, the tweet was used merely as a method of conveying this news to the public. Nothing wrong with it in my opinion

New player: iPhone 4 32gb
tom-knox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 06:25 PM   #8
Fully Optimized

Ain't no matter. You are either gunna hear on the internet or the news. What's the big deal. If people can't handle the internet, they need to GTFO or stay away from Twitter. I could care less if they have stuff like this. The internet goes both ways (good and bad) and people need to realize that. (also, none of that was pointed at anyone who has posted in here; just in general)
dude_56013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 06:47 AM   #9
Fully Optimized

I agree that it was going to happen and that people would hear about it....but 30 seconds after he gave the command.....

I think that is what I have the problem with. I don't think it was his job to report it to the masses. Leave it to the news reporters.
Old 06-22-2010, 09:33 AM   #10
..m.0,0.m..
Site Team

I think his tweet should have read differently. See below:

"Today, I ordered some scum to be shot to death. He was shot several times by the executioners and was trying to say something as he lie there bleeding but the butt of the gun swiftly met his chin and silenced the mofo. Now, there's no more Mr. Gardner, he's freakin ded, D. E. D. Ded.