Hi Fi smells at loud volume

vaio-fx

Daemon Poster
For some reason when I max my Hi Fi it starts to smell. It is not a burning smell and it isn't hot, its like the smell of being at a dentist or something, lol. It happens at loud volume after being on for a while. It happens to my mate's Hi Fi too. Is this anything to worry about? Thanks

What system are you describing, and how loud are you driving the receiver? Are you using the loudest volume setting?

Yes, the reciever is set to max and this is the same case for my mate's one too. Both sets are with their original amp's so surely th should be designed not to burn the speakers out.

You're clipping the amplifier, which we described before. You're maxing out the reserve levels, and therefore sending DC to the cones. I'd suggest you turn it down before you permanently damage anything.

...and is this the Sony system you were discussing earlier?

Yes it is the Sony system and my mate has a Panasonic one. You would have thought that they would be designed so that they can't burn out the speakers. It doesn't sound distorted or anything.

Yes it is the Sony system and my mate has a Panasonic one.

Please don't describe it as Hi-Fi then. That's usually used to describe high end audio systems.

You would have thought that they would be designed so that they can't burn out the speakers. It doesn't sound distorted or anything.

No, it's not necessarily their fault. It's up to the user to know the system's limitations. When the speaker starts to smell, you know something's up. I'm willing to bet that smell is coming from your voice coils being burned up.

Ok but it says on the front of it "Compact Hi-Fi Stereo System" thats why I was calling it a Hi Fi.

Ok but it says on the front of it "Compact Hi-Fi System" thats why I was calling it a Hi Fi.

I bet it also says something like "500 watts total power" as well. Normally, people don't call their systems Hi-Fi, unless they've spent bundles of cash on it. I know I wouldn't describe my system as Hi-Fi, because I wasn't intending on building a high fidelity system in the first place. It's really an objective term, but one that's never used to describe a boombox.

Back
Top Bottom