Here's a question

Additionally, I see a lot of you guys saying you are going to install a certain program x.

You have to realize that your customer might already have a preference and might not want program x on their computer. Maybe they prefer program y, maybe no - regardless, you need to offer customers options and not just install stuff without regard to their own opinions.

Right idea, but don't understand why you would download Chrome to a customer's computer. Their choice of browser is a personal choice.

Very true, but with the little market share (and no I'm not a google enthusiast) there's little exposure to Chrome, which I feel is a great browser. I would obviously offer to remove the browser and reset default browser settings for free if the customer so desired.

Additionally, I see a lot of you guys saying you are going to install a certain program x.

You have to realize that your customer might already have a preference and might not want program x on their computer. Maybe they prefer program y, maybe no - regardless, you need to offer customers options and not just install stuff without regard to their own opinions.

I always ask. I recommend a programme and will say it does XYZ better than Programme B

Doesn't Geek Squad download the software through a flash-drive or something like that? But they uninstall it afterward? I forget how it goes.

I always ask. I recommend a programme and will say it does XYZ better than Programme B

What if they are a very headstrong person and believe that the program they have is the best. Me, being 15, not a lot of people would believe me saying this is better then that.

Sorry, you posted before me while I was still typing so I didn't have a chance to reply in my previous post, but good point, and point taken.

Doesn't Geek Squad download the software through a flash-drive or something like that? But they uninstall it afterward? I forget how it goes.

What if they are a very headstrong person and believe that the program they have is the best. Me, being 15, not a lot of people would believe me saying this is better then that.

You have to be assertive and give reasoning behind your suggestions. Logical thought process has to be displayed. Moreover, you need to provide your customer with demonstrations of what you are talking about.

Give them statistics, demonstrations, videos. If you cannot convince them in the end, then you have to accept defeat. That's simply how it goes.

However, if you believe program X to be benefitial and have substantiated evidence to your point, I highly doubt anyone will object to it. If they do object, you either have not given enough evidence or they simply have a subjective reason behind their decision. Either way, nothing you can do.

If you try to convince a "headstrong" person to change their preferences, they will simply not do business with you again.

I see your point..

You can't really install any program on their computer anyway. I'm pretty sure 90% of programs have in the Terms of Agreement (that nobody reads) NON-COMMERCIAL USE ONLY, unless you pay money for it.

I see your point..

You can't really install any program on their computer anyway. I'm pretty sure 90% of programs have in the Terms of Agreement (that nobody reads) NON-COMMERCIAL USE ONLY, unless you pay money for it.

Just for public knowledge, I contact a few companies about that very question, whether or not I could use their programs for my business or not and they gave me the green light and said it would not violate any of their license agreements.

Edit: This was for Piriform products (CCleaner, Deffragler, etc) and Comodo security products, I have yet to contact AVG.

Ah, i was under the assumption that you had to pay and get a license from them or some stupid stuff like that.

I see your point..

Just for public knowledge, I contact a few companies about that very question, whether or not I could use their programs for my business or not and they gave me the green light and said it would not violate any of their license agreements.

Yeah Holysky, you can install whatever you want on a customer's computer as long as it is legally purchased or is share/freeware.

The companies are against you reselling their programs, as you can easily charge a markup and the company would be out of a certain amount of money.

When you receive payment from a customer, it is not for the programs but for labor and services rendered. You aren't selling him/her the programs, you are selling your services. If you were charging him for the programs separately, then yes it would go against most license agreements - but the point of what I am saying is that you aren't. You are charging for labor.

Back
Top Bottom