Go Back   Computer Forums > Welcome To Computer Forums .org > Social Lounge | Off Topic
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 07-29-2010, 07:49 AM   #11
BSOD

Default Re: Here's a question

I have trouble getting my point across sometimes!

gmcrepair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 07:50 AM   #12
Fully Optimized

Send a message via MSN to tom-knox

My brix are all over the place and my ass hurts. Thelis is back??

Personally, i'd get CCleaner ran on there (Registry + Delete files), sort MSConfig out to stop unnecessary programs running on start up, open the side up and hoover dem dust up. Analyse defrag and see if it's feasible within the time limit to run a defrag. Virus scan the most at risk directories.

Can't really think right now. Rough night last night, thought i'd ring up some discussion here

New player: iPhone 4 32gb
tom-knox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 07:51 AM   #13
Fully Optimized

Yea it's actually hard to explain what you'd do on spot. I'm better when i actually have the problem in front of me and i need to solve it.
Old 07-29-2010, 07:55 AM   #14
In Runtime

It wholly depends on the computer, and the specific system / situation...

The last one I had, the laptop was that slow, it took 15 minutes to wait to get the computer to boot up!

Ended up removing the infected files (800+), cleaning up unused icons on the desktop. Opening up msconfig, and getting it back to 'barebones'. Running CCCleaner, and giving the person (I did it infront of them at their place) an overview of the do's and dont's. Got them firefox, removed toolbars etc etc etc, and showed them how to use firefox!

I asked them and all they do on the computer was word and the internet. In this instance I think hardware wouldnt fall into it specifically, just to tailor the users needs.

If it wasnt purely things like above, I would probably do a fresh installation of the OS System. Depends on how much the user is expecting, or paying, or what the system state is in. Generally speaking wouldnt overclock.
Luke_Uk_Baggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 07:55 AM   #15
Fully Optimized

Send a message via MSN to tom-knox

You've got an hour to go to a client's house and do something, speed wise, temps wise, noise wise. That a client would perceive as worth paying for

New player: iPhone 4 32gb
tom-knox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 07:58 AM   #16
Golden Master

Send a message via AIM to Thelis Send a message via MSN to Thelis Send a message via Yahoo to Thelis

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom-knox View Post
My brix are all over the place and my ass hurts.

Rough night last night
Quite a night I see. I think we can all draw our own conclusions.
Thelis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 08:17 AM   #17
..m.0,0.m..
Site Team

Sorry Thelis, don't know ya so I'm not gonna pretend to, err welcome back. But anyway, nice avatar, I can only imagine what it implies lmao.

If I had a half hour to work on someones comp I would do the basic,
MSconfig, Startup and Services, remove non-essential Microsoft services from starting as well. Run CCleaner, download Google Chrome, Remove some things through the registry (other hidden startup items) and start the deffragler for the customer. If I had an hour I would clean out the computer, Run Comodo AV and Malwarebytes, install Comodo Firewall, uninstall Comodo AV and install AVG for the customer. Then give them a run down of how to effectively monitor activity on their computer to ensure that it's consistent with proper usage (kids downloading spyware etc.)
Old 07-29-2010, 08:23 AM   #18
BSOD

I would also ask/ I do if they want a backup.
Old 07-29-2010, 09:13 AM   #19
Golden Master

Send a message via AIM to Thelis Send a message via MSN to Thelis Send a message via Yahoo to Thelis

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmcrepair View Post
Half an hour:
  • Windows Update
  • Virus Update
Hour:
All the above and....
  • Virus scan
  • CCleaner
  • Defrag
The Windows Update and the Virus Update will not optimize the computer's speed.

The Virus scan will look for malware, but again if the customer does not have any it's just a waste of time.

CCleaner and Defrag are good choices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holysky View Post
Optimizing- I would Defrag and Disk Cleanup. Quick Virus Scan (Again, whatever your favorite one is) and CCleaner would help depending on the computers speed.

Optimizing- Most likely a virus scan (Avast,AVG,Malawarebytes, whatever you prefer) Disk Cleanup Defragment. Pretty much the same as the other one.
Again, I think running a Virus Scan is a waste of time. CCleaner would help, I agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom-knox View Post
Personally, i'd get CCleaner ran on there (Registry + Delete files), sort MSConfig out to stop unnecessary programs running on start up, open the side up and hoover dem dust up. Analyse defrag and see if it's feasible within the time limit to run a defrag. Virus scan the most at risk directories.
He has the right idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke_Uk_Baggy View Post
Ended up removing the infected files (800+), cleaning up unused icons on the desktop. Opening up msconfig, and getting it back to 'barebones'. Running CCCleaner, and giving the person (I did it infront of them at their place) an overview of the do's and dont's. Got them firefox, removed toolbars etc etc etc, and showed them how to use firefox!
This guy too, it's what I would do if there was no time for a reformat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfectionZero View Post
If I had a half hour to work on someones comp I would do the basic,
MSconfig, Startup and Services, remove non-essential Microsoft services from starting as well. Run CCleaner, download Google Chrome, Remove some things through the registry (other hidden startup items) and start the deffragler for the customer. If I had an hour I would clean out the computer, Run Comodo AV and Malwarebytes, install Comodo Firewall, uninstall Comodo AV and install AVG for the customer. Then give them a run down of how to effectively monitor activity on their computer to ensure that it's consistent with proper usage (kids downloading spyware etc.)
Right idea, but don't understand why you would download Chrome to a customer's computer. Their choice of browser is a personal choice.
Thelis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 09:17 AM   #20
BSOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thelis View Post
Right idea, but don't understand why you would download Chrome to a customer's computer. Their choice of browser is a personal choice.
Yes, I agree your setting it up how YOU want it.

But I use Chrome it's great.