Go Back   Computer Forums > Welcome To Computer Forums .org > Social Lounge | Off Topic
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 12-28-2012, 03:35 PM   #1
Beta Member

Default Help please?

Hi I was just wondering if anyone could help me find a book on how to fix/maintain computer as I am very interested and would like to do this as my job in a couple of years.

About the book it must useful/relevant and cheap

Nugget2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 04:19 PM   #2
Wizard of Wires

Default Re: Help please?

Reading a book isn't gonna cut it. May give you an idea about what you're wanting to get in to.
Find a tech school around you and check in to the computer courses. If you're in the US you might be able to get a grant to pick up the tab.

setishock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 01:42 AM   #3
In Runtime

Also you can learn it by urself by googling, through forums.. and by doing it practically..
Note: its not so easy so you may break the components and you may have to replace them so if you are going to do it by urself then be ready to take the risk..
deepesh1193 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 01:44 AM   #4
Golden Master

As Setishock has said you best off taking a course that way you get the skills and knowledge that you require..
BK_123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 05:27 AM   #5
MMM
Daemon Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nugget2012 View Post
Hi I was just wondering if anyone could help me find a book on how to fix/maintain computer as I am very interested and would like to do this as my job in a couple of years.

About the book it must useful/relevant and cheap
Upgrading and repairing computers by Scott Muller would have to the best reference books available and will teach you all the fundamentals of computers.

Highly recommended.

Sold in most countries

Upgrading and Repairing Series | Que
MMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 05:37 AM   #6
Beta Member

Ok thank you very much
Nugget2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 03:08 PM   #7
Fully Optimized

Also, if you would like to learn the very basics. I would suggest compTIA A+ certificate. You don't really have to take the exam, but there are plenty of books out there on the subject.

Including a personal favorite Professor Messer's Free CompTIA A+ training course.

"If that guy knew half the $h*t that I know, his fuzzy little head would explode. " - Matthew Farrell
vampist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 04:15 PM   #8
Fully Optimized

i got most of my computer knowledge by myself. (the rest was the education i just finished year ago)
I learned via a few books, forums, Computer related RSS feeds, "trial and error" and by some teachers. I learned most by "trial and error"
In general having a good interest and research when you hear about something you don't know are gonna get you started.
BikerEcho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 10:54 PM   #9
In Runtime

Quote:
Originally Posted by EchoNatek View Post
i got most of my computer knowledge by myself. (the rest was the education i just finished year ago)
I learned via a few books, forums, Computer related RSS feeds, "trial and error" and by some teachers. I learned most by "trial and error"
In general having a good interest and research when you hear about something you don't know are gonna get you started.
I too got it the same way by trial and error. My desktop is assembled one. So the retailer gives 1 year warranty i.e, service free. So in that one year I have done a lot of experiments. I have got my hard disk replaced once. My dvd writer was broken so I opened it completely to see its working mechanism. I have changed my SMPS two times (it was due to voltage problem) so opened the faulty one too. And saw the what is in it. Had an old hard drive of 6 GB which was not working opened that too and got how hard disks store data. Have broken my CPU fan myself. Replaced it.
And in the software you are free to do anything as how big the problem be mostly a clean install of the os repairs it.
Still learning don't know so much of computers. And reading threads in the forum helps a lot too. And also can ask my doubts freely to the experts here. This forum is awesome. And thanks to all the members for helping us.
deepesh1193 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 01:01 AM   #10
Fully Optimized

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepesh1193 View Post
I too got it the same way by trial and error. My desktop is assembled one. So the retailer gives 1 year warranty i.e, service free. So in that one year I have done a lot of experiments. I have got my hard disk replaced once. My dvd writer was broken so I opened it completely to see its working mechanism. I have changed my SMPS two times (it was due to voltage problem) so opened the faulty one too. And saw the what is in it. Had an old hard drive of 6 GB which was not working opened that too and got how hard disks store data. Have broken my CPU fan myself. Replaced it.
And in the software you are free to do anything as how big the problem be mostly a clean install of the os repairs it.
Still learning don't know so much of computers. And reading threads in the forum helps a lot too. And also can ask my doubts freely to the experts here. This forum is awesome. And thanks to all the members for helping us.
You had all that break in only one year? Holy crap... Get your money back or something... damn.

"If that guy knew half the $h*t that I know, his fuzzy little head would explode. " - Matthew Farrell
vampist is offline   Reply With Quote