help me...

PinkPrincess

Beta member
i've tried posting this basically on the network dns part of the forum and no ones replied to me... and well i was just wondering if anyone in here could help me.... im having network troubles and my laptop wont work properly, any one willing to help me?

Cheers, nadia x

Here's her problem:

Well i got a router so i could network my laptp and my computer together, the laptop connects to the network fine, i can go on the internet but for some reason i can go on msn. I then went on the help and support for windows and ran a test on my network for the laptop... apperently its failed on a few things like the gateway, and dns, i have no idea how to configure these properly, i also cant get my files from one computer to the other, when i ran that test on my main computer it passes all the tests so im guessing its the laptop that has the problems, can any one give me some advice on how to fix this its really doing my head in. Many thanks

Nadia

Well, sounds like you need to find out your default gateway and dns numbers.

Well, if you go to Start>Run>Type 'cmd'>Then type 'ipconfig' it should give you a list of your IP address, subnet mask and default gateway.

Note down all of that.

Then go to Start>Control Panel>Network and Internet Connections>Network Connections

Then find the connection you use for your wireless network, right click it and go to properties. When that's open you should see something called an 'Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)' click on that and click 'properties'.

What you usually see is a blanked out list with 'find this automatically' and such, well, as this doesn't seem to be working click 'use the following ip address' and enter the information you got before.

As for the DNS numbers (two of them), you'll have to ring up your ISP provider and ask for them. Don't worry, it's a question they answer everyday and will know what you're talking about.

After you've filled all the information click ok and hopefully it'll work (if it doesn't you can easily reset it by checking the 'automatically blah blah' box.

Back
Top Bottom