Have you ever survived a natural disaster?

Tech Explorer

In Runtime
Currently Hurricane Sandy is approaching and they're talking about it on radio, but I'm broadening the topic to include all sorts of natural disasters such as tornadoes, earthquakes, volcanic eruptions, bad winter snowstorms, avalanches, flooding, forest fires (even man-made) and the like.

With me the answer is yes. Happened with Hurricane Floyd back then. Dumped a bunch of rain. Was asleep and when I woke up, water was at my doorstep. A boat went around looking for trapped people. I was eventually picked up - later when I got back I learned that the water rose still higher and flooded my apartment.

I got lucky that I was evacuated and henceforth I make sure I don't live near water. Now how about you? What's your story?

Well I haven't experienced a natural disaster and I don't hope to either, where I live we don't get many natural disasters only floods and fires.

Hurricane in the north Atlantic in route to the med. 80,000 ton aircraft carrier tossed around like a cork. First time I ever wore a cup of coffee.
Nasty snow storm in early 80's paralized Atlanta and surrounding cities. Walked most of the way from Piedmont and Peachtree to North Marietta. Got a couple of rides along the way. That was scary. Took 6 hours to get home. It's a 45 minute drive otherwise.
Perfect storm dropped 6+ feet of snow in the south over night. I was in the mountains of north Alabama that night. No power for over a week.
Tornado's in Oklahoma and north central Texas. One in Texas flipped my trailer over in the hold down straps. Everything inside was a total loss. Last trailer I ever lived in. I was doing some service calls in New York at the time.
Several Hurricanes in the south central US. I'll be 60 next Sunday so yeah I've been through a lot of Mother Nature being a bad girl.

Glad you are ok.
as for me, i have never been in a situation like that.
Denmark are a very nature quiet country. The worst hurricane we have ever recorded in Denmark killed only 7 people.
We are only 5,6 million people, but still, 7 dead people is not much when talking about worst hurricane recorded.

Sure have...35 years of marriage.

HaHaHaHa. good one. ^^

I've lived in Calif for almost 60 years and have "survived" countless earthquakes. The only damage I ever received was a broken crystal goblet that fell over and broke during the 1989 Loma Prieta quake.

I've got MMM beat, 39 yrs of marriage!

Nope, thank Gawd. Some bad weather and floods, but nothing as severe as to say a "natural disaster". But then, I live somewhere sensible.. England. :p

My grandpa survived the number 6 tornado in the top 10 worst of the US in 1947 in Woodward, OK. It was an F5.

Worst I've survived is flooding which was done by simply staying out of the low water crossings... :p

Back
Top Bottom