Has the internet met your expectations?

wonderboy1953

In Runtime
For me it has, overall. Besides access to all of the (free) information, it's great for communication and entertainment.

Still some may have internet issues. Maybe it's too slow, maybe it's too restrictive with your ISP and there are the well-known security issues.

Where do you think the internet can improve, if it can be done?

Still some may have internet issues. Maybe it's too slow, maybe it's too restrictive with your ISP and there are the well-known security issues.
How many of those are problems with the internet in itself and how many are problems with ISPs and other factors?

"The internet" in itself is a very broad and ambiguous word to use in this sense, and yes there's lots of improvements that could be had with the technologies that make up the internet - the construction of the physical cables, the TCP / IP stack, HTTP, HTML, browsers - what exactly are you asking? Yes, all could be improved and all are being gradually improved, but are you talking about this or something else?

Though the Internet has made room for the best improvements on the way people usually live. I believe that there are still lost of things that can be improved especially when it comes to the security that it provides the users.

I believe that there are still lost of things that can be improved especially when it comes to the security that it provides the users.
Where is the security lacking and where do you think it can be improved?

if you look at where we are now, compared to where we were during the 90's, i dont think we're in any position to complain personally :)

1995: DSL, 56k, PPP, PPTP, heavy collisioned hubs, basic (very basic) AES encryptions for transfers etc.

2011: network technologies supporting up to 100GB/s (prototype but still), and stable provisions for up to 10GBASE-T, Broadband lines readily available at 1gbps, averaging in the UK at around 10mbps, many people have 20-50mbps; Ethernet and fibre mediums, VoIP, CSMA/CA switches, managed switches, VLANs and VPNs, L2TP, the new VPN in Win7 whatever it's called, SSL, TSL, HTTPS, etc.

i might have strayed a bit away from 'internet' and onto 'networking' but it's all relevant in my mind.

With the internet, you really get what you pay for, and get back what you put in. If you go blindly into the internet someone is going to try and rinse you, but if you dispel your technical ignorance and learn a bit about the internet, scams and security issues are easy to avoid. Firefox, Chrome and IE tell you about a site's security certificate, the kind of encryption being used and who's providing it. It really doesn't take alot to be safe on the internet.

How many of those are problems with the internet in itself and how many are problems with ISPs and other factors?

"The internet" in itself is a very broad and ambiguous word to use in this sense, and yes there's lots of improvements that could be had with the technologies that make up the internet - the construction of the physical cables, the TCP / IP stack, HTTP, HTML, browsers - what exactly are you asking? Yes, all could be improved and all are being gradually improved, but are you talking about this or something else?

Two things. I'm not technical and I do mean internet in the broadest sense.

Every week tv news has reports that directly and indirectly touch upon the internet. It would appear to be a topic that many would be interested in for many different reasons.

Two things. I'm not technical and I do mean internet in the broadest sense.

Every week tv news has reports that directly and indirectly touch upon the internet. It would appear to be a topic that many would be interested in for many different reasons.
In the broadest sense then it can and is being improved in all areas, and I doubt that will change any time soon.

You here lots of TV reports about technology all over the place, especially on the news - in reality though I'm often left bashing my head against a brick wall at the idiocy of the people reporting!

all it would take to erase most of the current phishing-type of attacks is a little intuition from the people who are targetted by it. Often it is pretty obvious to a clued-up person if something is dodgy, i can look at an email and tell just by the language it employs that it's dodgy. For example, i got an email from a supposed 'job offer' asking for my phone number, but the author of this made several simple spelling mistakes, which leads me to believe it was fake, or at least untrustworthy. Even before i was big-into computers, i did a big of reading up on how to be safe on the net, and it has paid off. as a family, we've been on the internet for a decade or so, and not once have we been victim to any virus or scam.

Back
Top Bottom