Which has been the Worst disaster in modern times?

~mr mixx~ said:
there just doesn't seem to end,for there wil always be war and death.

There always has been, there always will be. It's human nature, as well as that of the animals. They fight a war of their own, a war of survival, as do we.

Depends on how you define "war", but there is always going to be war of some kind.

wozelbeak said:
you are kidding rite?
everyones world has changed since that dreadful day.
and if you think that type of thing happens every day somewhere else, then you are so wrong.
the terrorist attacks on the world trade centre sent reverberations around the world and affected everyones life in some way. most countries have changed legislation so that they can hold people who they SUSPECT of being a terrorist for undefined amounts of time. all of our civil libertys are being affected. just a couple of weeks ago a brazillian man on the london undergroun was shot 7 times in the head because he was mistaken for a terroist. and you think we are not all affected? have you been on a holiday flight lately? you are virtulay strip searched before you get onto the plane.
in Britain yesterday a poll was carried out to find which image in the last 50 years was the most significant. it was called "the shot that shook the world" and you guessed it the WORLD TRADE CENTRE came in at number 1.
woz

I'm not talking about the new security measures and the people freaking out whenever someone with brown skin walks into the room, but that's a good point. But yes, things like that do happen every day. Most of it you just don't hear about. There are approximately 200,000 deaths each day. Many are tragic, but the average American just doesn't have enough time to watch a news story about each one. We're too busy for that, just give us the big ones! Well, we got a big one.

And yeah, I don't really care what 'image' people think was most significant. The only reason it was considered the most significant is because the media glamorized it. If they spent even half of their 9/11 time on hunger and starvation in impoverished third-world countries, maybe people would actually consider the real tragedies. Nobody gets information on their own anymore - it's fed to them. The information that's most important is the information that was fed the most. Period.

I'll tell yuo a fact here...

If one white person dies, it'l make the news, whether they are hit by a car, gunned down, shot or anything,

it requires at least three people of ethnic minorities to get the same news coverage. it's not that the broadcasters are racist, it's just that the views don't really care as much.

A guy got shot because he was suspected of being a terrorist, yes that was tragic, but how many people in Iraq have been shot since then suspected of being a terrorist? and how much time on the news has been devoted to this?

As spank_fusion said earlier, the wrst thing to happen in this world is the society in it.

A few housand people dying and a few hundred offices disapearnig is shocking, and scary yes, to think that something like that coud have happened in the world today, (well not today, but it was pretty bad at the time), and the footage recorded from many angles did make it all the more shocking.

IMHO, the TV program, (shots that shook the world) would have seen the tsunami voted number one if therehad been footage of a 100ft wal of water kiling thousands of people up to three miles inland, but snice the footaeg wasn't taken, it was never going to be the number one image.

To me, a natural disaster, though terrible, isn't the worst.
For me, it has to be the World Trade Centre attack, since this was man made. Something that should not have happened in the first place.
I mean natural disasters can happen anywhere in the world, and have been happening since the beginning of time. Its just our fault were in the way of them...

Natural disasters happen, and I know there terrible :( Its a shame they haven't found a way of seeing them better.

Evactuation definietly doesn't work. Everyone gets caught up in traffic jams, and no one goes anywhere...

But no, that attack on the trade centres should not have happened, and whats worst, is it was actually created by man, and not a natural occurence. Though the building would have been thought to have not been built properly if it just fell from wind, etc.

it was apparantly know to have happened/be happening before the tsunami struck...

seismologiests predicted it was going to happen, detected it was happening...

the only problem, there was not nearly enough time to evactuate...

Kage said:
For me, it has to be the World Trade Centre attack, since this was man made.

damn right, give that man a mars bar for good work. We can't do anything about the tsunami, but if those stupid people that had commited the 9/11 attacks hadn't been brainwashed into thinking that the USA is evil and capitalism terrible.

daemon said:
Actually I saw an article a while ago about the WTC, saying that it could be a conspiracy, they let the terrorist do the attack so that they would have a reason to start the war. And I'm not saying that it is true, it could be, but there were a few good points, like they lost contact to those airplanes like 40 minutes before they hit the towers. And normally when losing contact with a big civilian aircraft they send a few fighters to check it out. And don't say that they didn't have time to send the fighters, an F-22 can fly at almost 2.0 mach (= 680 meters/second) Keeping in mind it takes about 10 minutes to get the pilot in the fighter and the fighter into the air, there is about 30 mins left to reach the civilian aircraft. 680 (meters per second) * 60 (seconds in minute) * 30 (~30 minutes time) / 1000 (1000 meters=1 kilometer) and the answer is 1224 km. There must be an airport with F-22s closer than 1000km to the towers.

dont tell me you believe that BS, thats clearly absolute b*******, why would Bush kill 4,000 (or 2,000, whatever, its a huge number) just so he can attack RIGHTFULLY a country with loads of oil. May I point out to all those stupid (very rude word goes here) that think this is a war for oil. THE USA HASNT GOT ANY OIL FROM IRAQ, ITS NOT A WAR FOR OIL IF THEY'RE NOT EXTRACTING ANY.
And anyway, I would be surprised if there were any F-22's nearby, they seem to cost a hell of a lot, I'm not sure what it all means but go here
http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/systems/aircraft/f-22-cost.htm

thankyou

I never said I believe it. I just said it's one theory.

And I'd say that USAF has a fighter placed so that it can reach NY in less than 30 mins. There must be a airfield with a fighter closer than 1000km to NY. And yes the F-22 costs alot. But from what I can remember usa's defence budget wasn't that small.

And one thing, I agree with u about the oil, but u really can't be that sure now can u?

WOO!!!! Thanks Techy Geek, a Mars Bar :D

I saw something on TV about that so called conspiracy, and I didn't believe it, or wanted to believe it.

THE CONSPIRACY

They said, it could have been bombs placed in certain parts of the building for instance at certain levels, because people speculated that the planes wouldn't have brought it down as it was too structually sound.
So the conspiracy started. If you watched the building, it littrally fell downwards, unlike a building usually would, which would normally scatter, and thats what led people to believe it was bombs placed on purpose, as bombs would cause it to fall in that way.
Yet, the building was made for safety reasons to collapse in that way, and so, I don't think it was.

The TV program basically didn't lead you onto any story, since this is how scientific programs work.

They gave views, but let you speculate yourself, but did prove that it couldn't have been a conspiracy in some ways because of large pits that the conspiritors fall into, trying to answer questions that can't be answered.

But yeah, natural disasters cannot be helped, and many more will come.
As its not a matter of if, its a matter of when...

Look, it is, because what does the world run otno today? MONEY. I HATE TO SAY IT BUT ITS MONEY. World Trade center was not a BIG old tower that was for teh shits and giggles. It had thousands of companies, and i'd say billions of dollars going though it daily. When it blew up the economy went boom. And America no matter how muhc I don't like to admit is a world powe rin trade. So when our trade gets hurt, so does your paychecks. Even if you don't live in the states. Also a different point, even germany has ennected laws like the patriot act. The affects are still ongoing. Human wise i'd say this african famine would be a bad one.

Nik00117 said:
I'd say 9/11 not because of the deaht, but because of how much it has affected our lives. The Tsunami no matter how many died, had no real affect on me. Sure its sad and all never lost any sleep over it. However 9/11 has had the biggest impact on my life so far. I'm sure most poeple living in america would agree.

that just sounds incedible selfish to me

oh look 17,000,000 people are dead, but aslong as it doesnt effect me who cares

that what it sounds like your saying

Back
Top Bottom