Hard drive 3D model

I've been modelling for 8 or so years now, and I'm no where near as good as I could be if I actually learnt some of the tools I know now, back then.

I'd say if you really tried to learn a program, you'd start picking it up in less than a month, with tutorials.
The rest is just practise :)

There are tonnes of tutorials out there if you really want to learn

hey man thats great. do you only create 3d models, or can you do website graphics / logo's, etc? if so you should visit my page below (www.cquinndesign.com) because I am looking for someone i can hire that will allow me to pay by the "piece" instead of a salary.... go to my site and then contact me! we can swim in money together :)

Wow, that's good stuff! I am using a solid modeling app in engineering.
UGS NX 5. Ever heard of it? We haven't done much fancy stuff yet, still pretty simple.
How do you get all the perfect color and reflections in there? I think I could model that harddrive shell like you have there, but couldn't do all the color part of it...

Not heard of that program nope. I've heard of Solidworks and that though, but I'm not too into the accuracy aspect. That model is all subdivision surfaces, but it does take a while to cut into it, without the smoothing messing up.
Most apps like you're using, use nurbs, or similar.

Thats a render, thats using all kinds of shaders (though a pretty simple one at the moment)
Chances are your program doesn't allow you to create shaders, etc, but theres no reason why, if you could export as an obj file (or similat), that you could use an external renderer to render out like I have.

Put SeaGate 7200.12 up top or in the title and that depth would be a few mm from being correct. 7200.12's are much thinner than standard drives.

Haha, I would, but the drive on that screenshot hadn't finished being built up, so it will be a standard Sata drive :)
I think I have the size right now, as I've extruded it out more, and been adding details where the drive platters are underneath.

Wondering wheather to open this old drive up to find out how its built up, and make an animation of the screws falling out, etc, and showing the insides. A lot more work, but it'd be pretty good for a portfolio piece.

I never realized you had a Q66. Which processing unit does your program use for rendering? dedicated CPU or GPU (or both)?

Most renderers use the CPU to render the final image, so its using all 4 cores to render, whereas, the GPU is used fully for the 3D preview, which is actually pretty damn fast, and never had it before on a program.
You can change materials/settings and even spin the model around, and it'll update the render in real time.

damn. The G92 GPU is practically Nvidia's most legendary GPU imo. They've used it in a number of cards and it's still kicking. From the 8800's, 9800's and to the GTS250.

Back
Top Bottom