Go Back   Computer Forums > Welcome To Computer Forums .org > Social Lounge | Off Topic
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 10-17-2012, 07:41 AM   #11
Fully Optimized

Default Re: Halloween

I very much dislike halloween. I used to get dressed up and go trick or treating, but as an adult (albeit a young adult) I think it's highly overrated. You end up with a bunch of candy you never end up eating. It sits in your drawer until it gets all nasty and sticky and then you throw it out. Not to mention all the "generic" candy your parents make you throw out because they don't know what it is.

As I got older my friends and I would go to 3 or 4 places. There was a guy by my house that would give out homemade waffles so we went there first, then we would run across town and stop at this Mom and Pop resurant that was famous for their hot dogs and they gave those out, then our last stop was at a rich house where they gave out full size candy bars (we might have made more than one stop at any of those places if it was busy enough when you went through the first time ).

However, the whole idea is stupid really. It has nothing. As an American I can't tell you how sick of the whole "commercialization" of all our holidays. THEY ALREADY HAVE CHRISTMAS DECOR IN ALL THE STORES!?!?!?

I'm with my boy Charlie Brown on this one.

For those that don't get the reference I'm referring to the movie "A Charlie Brown Christmas" where he spends the whole movie trying to find the real meaning of Christmas and complaining about how commercialized it is - and this was in 1965 - and eventually Linus says:
Quote:
Charlie Brown: I guess you were right, Linus. I shouldn't have picked this little tree. Everything I do turns into a disaster. I guess I really don't know what Christmas is all about.
[shouting in desperation]
Charlie Brown: Isn't there anyone who knows what Christmas is all about?
Linus Van Pelt: Sure, Charlie Brown, I can tell you what Christmas is all about.
[moves toward the center of the stage]
Linus Van Pelt: Lights, please.
[a spotlight shines on Linus]
Linus Van Pelt: "And there were in the same country shepherds abiding in the field, keeping watch over their flock by night. And lo, the angel of the Lord came upon them, and the glory of the Lord shone round about them: and they were sore afraid. And the angel said unto them, 'Fear not: for behold, I bring unto you good tidings of great joy, which shall be to all people. For unto you is born this day in the City of David a Savior, which is Christ the Lord. And this shall be a sign unto you; Ye shall find the babe wrapped in swaddling clothes, lying in a manger.' And suddenly there was with the angel a multitude of the heavenly host, praising God, and saying, 'Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace, good will toward men.'"
[Linus picks up his blanket and walks back towards Charlie Brown]
Linus Van Pelt: That's what Christmas is all about, Charlie Brown.

jmacavali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 08:25 AM   #12
MMM
Daemon Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmacavali View Post
I very much dislike halloween. I used to get dressed up and go trick or treating, but as an adult (albeit a young adult) I think it's highly overrated. You end up with a bunch of candy you never end up eating. It sits in your drawer until it gets all nasty and sticky and then you throw it out. Not to mention all the "generic" candy your parents make you throw out because they don't know what it is.

As I got older my friends and I would go to 3 or 4 places. There was a guy by my house that would give out homemade waffles so we went there first, then we would run across town and stop at this Mom and Pop resurant that was famous for their hot dogs and they gave those out, then our last stop was at a rich house where they gave out full size candy bars (we might have made more than one stop at any of those places if it was busy enough when you went through the first time ).

However, the whole idea is stupid really. It has nothing. As an American I can't tell you how sick of the whole "commercialization" of all our holidays. THEY ALREADY HAVE CHRISTMAS DECOR IN ALL THE STORES!?!?!?

I'm with my boy Charlie Brown on this one.

For those that don't get the reference I'm referring to the movie "A Charlie Brown Christmas" where he spends the whole movie trying to find the real meaning of Christmas and complaining about how commercialized it is - and this was in 1965 - and eventually Linus says:
I looked up Halloween and it has some interesting facts how it originated from the middle ages possibly from roman days but what I like to know, Is it only America that celebrates this event on 31 October? or do other countries do the same.

Yeah your Xmas comment is the same here, our stores are advertising right now.

MMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 08:58 AM   #13
In Runtime

I don't even go out for Halloween anymore. Sure, it's fun and all....but eventually you grow old of it
Old 10-17-2012, 10:02 AM   #14
Fully Optimized

We live in a rural area and have not had kids come to our door once in the 21 years we have lived there. We used to have candy on hand, just in case someone came, but stopped buying candy years ago.

A buddy of mine sets up a "Haunted Graveyard" (gives donations to charity) at his house so we go over there and check out his display and make a donation.

When I was a kid back in the 60's, there were no "mini" or "fun" sized candy bars so every house gave out full-sized bars. My buddy and I would stay out going from house to house until our bags got so full we could barely carry them. Then we'd go home and our parents would take us to the school Halloween Carnival where there were more treats, games to play and a costume parade with prizes. Halloween used to be fun.
strollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 10:09 AM   #15
In Runtime

When I was younger, went around getting candy and collecting for UNICEF. When I lived on my own, lived in areas where nobody came around for Halloween. Sounds like this holiday is dying.
Tech Explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 10:15 AM   #16
Daemon Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by strollin View Post
...When I was a kid back in the 60's,...

Hey, it's nice to see someone on these forums over the age of 18.

When I was kid back in the late 40's & early 50's, we also enjoyed Halloween the same way.

Our parents never needed to look for razor blades in apples, or refuse to let us eat loose, unwrapped candy, or cookies. Lots of people would bake brownies, or cookies for us kids. Many would give is fruit.

I'm saddened by the fact that kids today simply have no idea what life was like years go, and what's worse is they never will.
Old 10-17-2012, 03:18 PM   #17
Golden Master

Send a message via MSN to superman22x Send a message via Yahoo to superman22x

Last year I went to Madison Wisconsin for Freakfest. This year I am staying in Houghton and a friend has a huge old Manor house so we will all get together over there. I think it's fun. Just an excuse to dress up and have a party... Halloween is most fun in college.
Old 10-17-2012, 09:40 PM   #18
Wizard of Wires

If you want to have a good time on All Hallows Eve, go to New Orleans. They have the franchise on the dead people thing.
setishock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 05:07 AM   #19
Omnicide now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by setishock View Post
If you want to have a good time on All Hallows Eve, go to New Orleans. They have the franchise on the dead people thing.
Hm. Can you elaborate a bit more? New Orleans is 70 miles away and I don't have anything to do that day. Could be fun.
foothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 09:40 AM   #20
Baseband Member

I'm going to make an horror movies session with my gf. Lots of junk food too!

tomarnold is offline   Reply With Quote