Go Back   Computer Forums > Welcome To Computer Forums .org > Social Lounge | Off Topic
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 03-27-2010, 04:50 AM   #1
Fully Optimized

Default Graphic Design/Animation Creation/Video Editing...where to start?

Alright. First off, if the mods want to move this, they can, but I just thought I'd put it in the SL because it's a very laid back, non serious topic. I'm just looking for opinions, rather than any answers.

Anyways, a little background information. I've been working with computers for probably 9 years. My knowledge has increased exponentially--I started off knowing a little, and then before I knew it I was building my own and starting my own little computer shop. However, I'm not sure if I want to go that route. It's fun, I enjoy it, but I'd need a lot of money in order to make it my full time job down the road (i.e. I'd need loans and investments to really have a full-on computer shop somewhere....and that's just risky, IMHO).

Anyways, I've been really trying to find my passion. I'm majoring in Business with a concentration in marketing with the emphasis there in graphic design. I'm double majoring in Social Work. I'm also getting involved--non-collegiately--in Youth Ministry. I enjoy all of those things, but I really like being my own boss. Anyways, long story short, I've got computer design 101 this semester and I'm really liking it. I've worked with photoshop for a very long time, but I just now learned InDesign and I loved it! I'm a perfectionist, so working with that stuff is right up my alley. We designed resumes (yeah, I'm not taking the time to find the stupid "e" characters...I know it's not spelled that way) and mine was the top of the class, getting a 99/100...and she was a really tough grader. The AVERAGE was a C (70/100). So I was feeling pretty good.

Anyways, I started researching some careers in this field just to see what kind of skills I would need to start my own business in this field down the road. Most jobs require advanced knowledge in PS and InD. CS3/4 (no problems there), but also knowledge with programs such as FinalCut (and other video editing software) and Adobe Flash. Some also mention Adobe Illustrator (which we may get to in my design class if we have time).

Basically, I'm wondering what I can start learning now on the side to prep me for some more things? I'd really like to get familiar with some of the top video editing programs, as well as Illustrator and Flash. I enjoy building websites, so I think my business would probably cover that area as well, hence the need for flash. Right now, my coding is only HTML and CSS (and CSS I still have to look at cheat sheets, but seldomly use it so that's why)...I assume I'd need to learn some advance script...like Javascript or something, eh?

So, for anyone in this field, let me know how/where you started off, and where I can start to gain some knowledge. Any ideas are welcome.

Thanks guys!

dude_56013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 05:43 AM   #2
Fully Optimized

Default Re: Graphic Design/Animation Creation/Video Editing...where to start?

Must be a slow weekend...haha.

Okay. It's Monday. Someone HAS to have some insight on this!

Old 03-31-2010, 02:53 AM   #3
Fully Optimized

Guess I'll bump this again....
Old 04-02-2010, 04:45 PM   #4
Fully Optimized

Oh, cmon! Some of you guys have to know something about this!
Old 04-02-2010, 04:55 PM   #5
Fully Optimized

I'd help you if I knew what anything about it :|
Old 04-02-2010, 05:11 PM   #6
In Runtime

I am taking Graphic Design 5-6, as I completed 1-2 last year, in high school this year. If you need any help with Photoshop or Illustrator, let me know through a PM!

Edit: If you are working with Photoshop, you can check out some tutorial websites if you want. I have listed some below.

Good-Tutorials.com

Tutorialized.com

PhotoshopTutorials.ws

PSLover.com

PhotoshopStar.com
Old 04-02-2010, 05:21 PM   #7
Fully Optimized

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grantofhell View Post
I'd help you if I knew what anything about it :|
Haha. It's okay. I'm wondering where Kage is. I know he's been modeling some 3D stuff. Though that's not what I want to know, I'm curious if he knows anything about any of this, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lennox View Post
I am taking Graphic Design 5-6, as I completed 1-2 last year, in high school this year. If you need any help with Photoshop or Illustrator, let me know through a PM!

Edit: If you are working with Photoshop, you can check out some tutorial websites if you want. I have listed some below.

Good-Tutorials.com

Tutorialized.com

PhotoshopTutorials.ws

PSLover.com

PhotoshopStar.com
Thanks. As I mentioned, I'm pretty good with photoshop already. I'm more or less wondering if anyone has any ideas for PS and other programs like Illustrator that I can try to complete to get some "seat time" so-to-speak. It's not a matter of learning how to use it, it's a matter of learning what to use respective programs for.
Old 04-02-2010, 05:29 PM   #8
In Runtime

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude_56013 View Post
I'm more or less wondering if anyone has any ideas for PS and other programs like Illustrator that I can try to complete to get some "seat time" so-to-speak. It's not a matter of learning how to use it, it's a matter of learning what to use respective programs for.
When you say "ideas for PS and other programs like Illustrator that I can try to complete", do you mean like when a teacher assigns the student to make a design?
Old 04-02-2010, 05:31 PM   #9
Fully Optimized

Yes, that kind of stuff. Actual "mini projects" or something that I can use to get familiar with different aspects of the programs. I know how to do PS just fine...I've been working with it for probably 4 years. But I know next to nothing about Illustrator and Flash creations. I don't even know what I'd use them for or how to integrate them into something.
Old 04-02-2010, 05:46 PM   #10
In Runtime

Illustrator is mostly vectors (solid shapes, one color mostly), so the output file size will be much smaller compared to rasters. (photographs, lots of different colored pixels)