Go Back   Computer Forums > Welcome To Computer Forums .org > Social Lounge | Off Topic
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 08-28-2008, 01:44 PM   #1
In Runtime

Default Grammar

Is it just me or is grammar (along with the effort to actually fully spell a word) on the internet becoming a long lost vision?

I find www.urbandictionary.com hilarious most of the time, and the most hilarious of them are the ones that actually sound like they could be in a dictionary.

A definition of Avril Lavigne with good grammar on urban dictionary:

avril lavigne

Canadian self proclaimed "punk rocker". Often wears ties, rubber bracelets and excessive eyeshadow to attempt to prove her extent of counter-pop musical style. However, she almost completely had proven herself anti-punk with the following statements:

"I created punk for this day and age. Do you see Britney Spears walking around wearing ties and singing punk? Hell no. That's what I do. I'm like a Sid Vicious for a new generation." -Seventeen Magazine

When she actually learned who the Sid Vicious actually was (intensely hardcore bassist for the Sex Pistols, 1977-1979), she followed up with:

"People are like, 'Well, she doesn't know the Sex Pistols.' Why would I know that stuff? Look how young I am. That stuff's old, right?" -Entertainment Weekly

And hence, she has become one of the largest detractors to the modern punk movement.

Avril Lavigne is not punk.

If you want to hear some actual punk, see:

-The Buzzcocks
-Capitalist Casualties
-The Dead Boys
-Dead Kennedys
-Fleas and Lice
-Kraut
-The Pagans
-Rajoitus
-Strychnine
-Subhumans
-The Clash
-The Ramones
-and of course The Sex Pistols

Then there are the ones that arent so funny:

Avril lavigne

A loser who thinks she is hard rock punk when she died her hair bleach blonde and wears her make-up like a prostitute. She's like the clone of Malibu Barbie A Phoney punkishrocker.

Is it just me? Am I looking too deep into this or is any one else annoyed by the rant like stature of the second post compared to the grammatical hilarity of the first? The first person actually took time to check, proofread, and then post. The second typed a rant with periods mixed in at random places.

Maybe there should be a license you have to test for and aquire in order to surf this so obviously "world wide" web.

Anyways, my question is, am I the only one who is annoyed by this?

Old 08-28-2008, 02:01 PM   #2
Fully Optimized

Send a message via MSN to BrynF_UK
Default Re: Grammar

I get annoyed when people try to shorted words to "save time" i.e.

"Today I went to a party with a lot of other people"

"2day I went 2 a prty w/ a lot of ppl"

I find it much harder to actually read something like that and try make some sense of it, so it doesn't save time at all

Im not saying my grammar and spelling is perfect, far from it but I try

Visit today! ---> www.smouch.net/lol <---

Old 08-28-2008, 02:22 PM   #3
BSOD

HAHAHAHA! There was only ever one real punk band. The Sex Pistols were it. Nobody else came close.

When she mentioned that she was a modern day Sid all I could think of was "good she'll OD soon."

In answer to your question, yeah, it annoys me. Blame mobile phone texting. Here it's now acceptable in schools. It's here to stay guys. We'll have to get use to it.
Sin_After_Sin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 04:31 PM   #4
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sin_After_Sin View Post
HAHAHAHA! There was only ever one real punk band. The Sex Pistols were it. Nobody else came close.

When she mentioned that she was a modern day Sid all I could think of was "good she'll OD soon."

In answer to your question, yeah, it annoys me. Blame mobile phone texting. Here it's now acceptable in schools. It's here to stay guys. We'll have to get use to it.
You can write using "slang"? The only things I shorten are words like government, and (&), and others. However, you are able to tell what I mean as the shortening of the words is legit. I do it often when I take notes in class.

As far as messaging goes, I always spell out everything no matter how long it takes. If I'm a couple characters over one text message, I go back and shorten what I can to make it fit in one message (seeing as I get 400 messages a month).

OP: It does annoy me when people use "slang". I can't stand it because I think it ruins the beauty of text.
JogaBonito1502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 05:30 PM   #5
Golden Master

Send a message via AIM to Thelis Send a message via MSN to Thelis Send a message via Yahoo to Thelis

Quote:
Originally Posted by xguynameddavex View Post
Is it just me or is grammar (along with the effort to actually fully spell a word) on the internet becoming a long lost vision?

I find www.urbandictionary.com hilarious most of the time, and the most hilarious of them are the ones that actually sound like they could be in a dictionary.

A definition of Avril Lavigne with good grammar on urban dictionary:

avril lavigne

Canadian self proclaimed "punk rocker". Often wears ties, rubber bracelets and excessive eyeshadow to attempt to prove her extent of counter-pop musical style. However, she almost completely had proven herself anti-punk with the following statements:

"I created punk for this day and age. Do you see Britney Spears walking around wearing ties and singing punk? Hell no. That's what I do. I'm like a Sid Vicious for a new generation." -Seventeen Magazine

When she actually learned who the Sid Vicious actually was (intensely hardcore bassist for the Sex Pistols, 1977-1979), she followed up with:

"People are like, 'Well, she doesn't know the Sex Pistols.' Why would I know that stuff? Look how young I am. That stuff's old, right?" -Entertainment Weekly

And hence, she has become one of the largest detractors to the modern punk movement.

Avril Lavigne is not punk.

If you want to hear some actual punk, see:

-The Buzzcocks
-Capitalist Casualties
-The Dead Boys
-Dead Kennedys
-Fleas and Lice
-Kraut
-The Pagans
-Rajoitus
-Strychnine
-Subhumans
-The Clash
-The Ramones
-and of course The Sex Pistols

Then there are the ones that arent so funny:

Avril lavigne

A loser who thinks she is hard rock punk when she died her hair bleach blonde and wears her make-up like a prostitute. She's like the clone of Malibu Barbie A Phoney punkishrocker.

Is it just me? Am I looking too deep into this or is any one else annoyed by the rant like stature of the second post compared to the grammatical hilarity of the first? The first person actually took time to check, proofread, and then post. The second typed a rant with periods mixed in at random places.

Maybe there should be a license you have to test for and aquire in order to surf this so obviously "world wide" web.

Anyways, my question is, am I the only one who is annoyed by this?
Neither one was funny. Grammar is slowly but steadily declining thanks to our youth using net-speak at any given opportunity. It's not going to change, simply because language evolves like that. Deal with it.
Thelis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 11:10 AM   #6
In Runtime

How was the first not funny? Your either too young to enjoy and respect "real" punk, or you just have a vendetta against people who make points.
Old 09-02-2008, 02:56 AM   #7
BSOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by xguynameddavex View Post
How was the first not funny? Your either too young to enjoy and respect "real" punk, or you just have a vendetta against people who make points.
It looks like that.

ipoteka is offline   Reply With Quote