Go Back   Computer Forums > Welcome To Computer Forums .org > Social Lounge | Off Topic
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 08-28-2008, 01:44 PM   #1
In Runtime
 
xguynameddavex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 442
Default Grammar

Is it just me or is grammar (along with the effort to actually fully spell a word) on the internet becoming a long lost vision?

I find www.urbandictionary.com hilarious most of the time, and the most hilarious of them are the ones that actually sound like they could be in a dictionary.

A definition of Avril Lavigne with good grammar on urban dictionary:

avril lavigne

Canadian self proclaimed "punk rocker". Often wears ties, rubber bracelets and excessive eyeshadow to attempt to prove her extent of counter-pop musical style. However, she almost completely had proven herself anti-punk with the following statements:

"I created punk for this day and age. Do you see Britney Spears walking around wearing ties and singing punk? Hell no. That's what I do. I'm like a Sid Vicious for a new generation." -Seventeen Magazine

When she actually learned who the Sid Vicious actually was (intensely hardcore bassist for the Sex Pistols, 1977-1979), she followed up with:

"People are like, 'Well, she doesn't know the Sex Pistols.' Why would I know that stuff? Look how young I am. That stuff's old, right?" -Entertainment Weekly

And hence, she has become one of the largest detractors to the modern punk movement.

Avril Lavigne is not punk.

If you want to hear some actual punk, see:

-The Buzzcocks
-Capitalist Casualties
-The Dead Boys
-Dead Kennedys
-Fleas and Lice
-Kraut
-The Pagans
-Rajoitus
-Strychnine
-Subhumans
-The Clash
-The Ramones
-and of course The Sex Pistols


Then there are the ones that arent so funny:

Avril lavigne

A loser who thinks she is hard rock punk when she died her hair bleach blonde and wears her make-up like a prostitute. She's like the clone of Malibu Barbie A Phoney punkishrocker.

Is it just me? Am I looking too deep into this or is any one else annoyed by the rant like stature of the second post compared to the grammatical hilarity of the first? The first person actually took time to check, proofread, and then post. The second typed a rant with periods mixed in at random places.

Maybe there should be a license you have to test for and aquire in order to surf this so obviously "world wide" web.

Anyways, my question is, am I the only one who is annoyed by this?
__________________

__________________
AMD 4200 X2, 2 GB Corsair XMS, BFG Gforce 7800GS,ASUS A8N32, 250 GB Maxtor 7200 SATA 3.0, Lite-on DVDR/RW CDR/RW, Logisys Yin Yang Case, RAIDMAX 470 Watt PSU.
XGuy Named DaveX - AIM it up.
xguynameddavex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 02:01 PM   #2
Fully Optimized
 
BrynF_UK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 1,574
Send a message via MSN to BrynF_UK
Default Re: Grammar

I get annoyed when people try to shorted words to "save time" i.e.

"Today I went to a party with a lot of other people"

"2day I went 2 a prty w/ a lot of ppl"

I find it much harder to actually read something like that and try make some sense of it, so it doesn't save time at all

Im not saying my grammar and spelling is perfect, far from it but I try
__________________

__________________
`

Visit today! ---> www.smouch.net/lol <---

_______________________________________________
BrynF_UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 02:22 PM   #3
BSOD
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 128
Default Re: Grammar

HAHAHAHA! There was only ever one real punk band. The Sex Pistols were it. Nobody else came close.

When she mentioned that she was a modern day Sid all I could think of was "good she'll OD soon."

In answer to your question, yeah, it annoys me. Blame mobile phone texting. Here it's now acceptable in schools. It's here to stay guys. We'll have to get use to it.
Sin_After_Sin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 04:31 PM   #4
Guru
 
JogaBonito1502's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: U.S.
Posts: 7,841
Default Re: Grammar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sin_After_Sin View Post
HAHAHAHA! There was only ever one real punk band. The Sex Pistols were it. Nobody else came close.

When she mentioned that she was a modern day Sid all I could think of was "good she'll OD soon."

In answer to your question, yeah, it annoys me. Blame mobile phone texting. Here it's now acceptable in schools. It's here to stay guys. We'll have to get use to it.
You can write using "slang"? The only things I shorten are words like government, and (&), and others. However, you are able to tell what I mean as the shortening of the words is legit. I do it often when I take notes in class.

As far as messaging goes, I always spell out everything no matter how long it takes. If I'm a couple characters over one text message, I go back and shorten what I can to make it fit in one message (seeing as I get 400 messages a month).

OP: It does annoy me when people use "slang". I can't stand it because I think it ruins the beauty of text.
JogaBonito1502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 05:30 PM   #5
Golden Master
 
Thelis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 5,410
Send a message via AIM to Thelis Send a message via MSN to Thelis Send a message via Yahoo to Thelis
Default Re: Grammar

Quote:
Originally Posted by xguynameddavex View Post
Is it just me or is grammar (along with the effort to actually fully spell a word) on the internet becoming a long lost vision?

I find www.urbandictionary.com hilarious most of the time, and the most hilarious of them are the ones that actually sound like they could be in a dictionary.

A definition of Avril Lavigne with good grammar on urban dictionary:

avril lavigne

Canadian self proclaimed "punk rocker". Often wears ties, rubber bracelets and excessive eyeshadow to attempt to prove her extent of counter-pop musical style. However, she almost completely had proven herself anti-punk with the following statements:

"I created punk for this day and age. Do you see Britney Spears walking around wearing ties and singing punk? Hell no. That's what I do. I'm like a Sid Vicious for a new generation." -Seventeen Magazine

When she actually learned who the Sid Vicious actually was (intensely hardcore bassist for the Sex Pistols, 1977-1979), she followed up with:

"People are like, 'Well, she doesn't know the Sex Pistols.' Why would I know that stuff? Look how young I am. That stuff's old, right?" -Entertainment Weekly

And hence, she has become one of the largest detractors to the modern punk movement.

Avril Lavigne is not punk.

If you want to hear some actual punk, see:

-The Buzzcocks
-Capitalist Casualties
-The Dead Boys
-Dead Kennedys
-Fleas and Lice
-Kraut
-The Pagans
-Rajoitus
-Strychnine
-Subhumans
-The Clash
-The Ramones
-and of course The Sex Pistols


Then there are the ones that arent so funny:

Avril lavigne

A loser who thinks she is hard rock punk when she died her hair bleach blonde and wears her make-up like a prostitute. She's like the clone of Malibu Barbie A Phoney punkishrocker.

Is it just me? Am I looking too deep into this or is any one else annoyed by the rant like stature of the second post compared to the grammatical hilarity of the first? The first person actually took time to check, proofread, and then post. The second typed a rant with periods mixed in at random places.

Maybe there should be a license you have to test for and aquire in order to surf this so obviously "world wide" web.

Anyways, my question is, am I the only one who is annoyed by this?
Neither one was funny. Grammar is slowly but steadily declining thanks to our youth using net-speak at any given opportunity. It's not going to change, simply because language evolves like that. Deal with it.
Thelis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 11:10 AM   #6
In Runtime
 
xguynameddavex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 442
Default Re: Grammar

How was the first not funny? Your either too young to enjoy and respect "real" punk, or you just have a vendetta against people who make points.
__________________
AMD 4200 X2, 2 GB Corsair XMS, BFG Gforce 7800GS,ASUS A8N32, 250 GB Maxtor 7200 SATA 3.0, Lite-on DVDR/RW CDR/RW, Logisys Yin Yang Case, RAIDMAX 470 Watt PSU.
XGuy Named DaveX - AIM it up.
xguynameddavex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 02:56 AM   #7
BSOD
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 184
Default Re: Grammar

Quote:
Originally Posted by xguynameddavex View Post
How was the first not funny? Your either too young to enjoy and respect "real" punk, or you just have a vendetta against people who make points.
It looks like that.
__________________

ipoteka is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:58 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0